Canister or HOB filter?

• SRC Member

hi to all bro and sis

After many years in freshwater world, finally plan to go into the darkside of marine. ( hahaha, told by other)

but i am limited as i can only spent around 100+ for the whole setup. So i going to reuse my 24' x 12' x 18' tank with 6mm thickness for the first time.

With that amount of money i cannot get a sump tank, and the tank is too small to DIY into a IOS tank.

So went down to Yishun fish shop to check out what i can get and was told i can use a cannister for my nano tank ( FOWLR ).

Problem is,

i can get a cannister (cheap ones) but what is the flow rate i should look out for?

Or can i use a HOB filiter for a nano tank like that?

Do i need a skimmer? (after reading, i think all will say YES),But what model should i get for that small tank?

Sorry, really new into marine.

• SRC Supporter

Hi,

i would recommand you to choose a cannister filter than a hang on filter for a marine setup. If you decided to use a cannister filter for your new setup, try to get the biggest model ( Greater flow) which you can afford , and just use the cannister filter for your biological filteration with alot of biological filter media. Remember to cycle your tank before putting in any fish ..

For small tank of your size and limiation, you might want to consider a hang on skimmer for easy operation.

HTH

• SRC Member

Hi Kenny1111, I must said ur tank size is very unforgiving for any errors or changes of water perimeters. It's a challenge for a begineer

However by saying this, I'm not discouraging you from starting a marine tank. It's just tt you have to understand that for marine tank, any slight changes in the condition of the water perimeters or livestock can have a big effect in the tank... esp for small tanks. So I must said for your kind of setup, certain equipments are essential and not worth saving the money to get cheap stuffs or DIY (unless you know the principle behind the working conditions). A good skimmer and filtration system is a must and maybe a FR will help abit more too for a simple setup. Ppl will tell you things such as... "marine hobby is the same as freshwater, just make sure change water, feed the LS can already". This I must said is not true.

If one cannot really afford a good skimmer (a good skimmer can range from $150+ onward for a 2nd hand or $300-$400+ onward), filtration system and so on... than I can only said the next best move is to change water every week (abt 20-30%) for optimal health of the tank and it's LS. This is only possible if the hobbyist is hard working enough to keep to this regime :whistle

You might want to try checking out the Pasar Malam thread for the equipments you're looking for. For your tank size, my personal experience is a H&S skimmer does it's job well. You can check out it's diff model type and spec on line.

• SRC Member

thanks for all reply,

i already bought a canister with flow rate of 1200L/H for my 2ft tank of 80L. (Hope it is enough)

But the shop ask me to buy a skimmer of 60L/H and say it is good enough fior my tank. is it correct? i though of getting another Jebo skimmer that look like a HOB filiter, advise?

• SRC Supporter

For skimmer, try not to save on it... Jebo skimmer are not efficient... Some hang-on skimmer that is affordable for beginner would be Bubble Magnus...

BM-NAC QQ

Yes i agreed, this is the better 'China' brand product :lol: