PL Actinic Against FL Actinic

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I was using FL Actinic (Acadia) all along until I upgraded to AT's ex-DIYed PL Actinic. The green glow on some corals, eg stripe mushroom is not as luminous as FL Actinic. I'm missing a nice night view of my tank now.

Guys, got any comments on this or is it the PL Actinic is near expiry ?

Limpc

I think the Actinic PL is quite due to be replaced. PL lights produce more light than FL for the given wattage.

I hope you have not mistaken some of the blue PL lights as actinics. The actinic PLs are Coralife brand. The blue PLs are Aqualux I think. These do not give the flourescence of true actinics like the coralife.

If I am not mistaken... the old coralife actinics were busted weren't they? I gave you an extra blue PL together.

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

I was referring to Coralife Actinic PL. The Blue PL does not give any glow on the coral. Could you remember when new, the Coralife Actinic PL, did give a nice glow on the coral ? If so, I will replace them.

I read somewhere in the web that PL Actinic is not effective as FL Actinic. Comments please.

Thanks

Limpc

Hi AT,

I was referring to Coralife Actinic PL. Could you remember when new, the Coralife Actinic PL, did give a nice glow on the coral ? If so, I will replace them.

I read somewhere in the web that PL Actinic is not effective as FL Actinic. Comments please.

Yeah... a new bulb should do the trick.

Why isn't a PL actinic not as effective as FL actinic? The only thing would be the length of a FL covering more of a tank.

PLs are supposed to produce more lumens than FL... being a more efficient design.

• SRC Member

I think it's a known fact the PL actinic is not a true Actinic light as compared to FL actinic. Many reef forum have already discussed this issue before.

PL actinic will never give a decent or bright florensce effect in the coral.

But there are true PL actinic in the market, according to some reefers in US, but they cost you an arm at least.

I have Coralife actinic PL at home. The coral does not have the luminous effect no matter the PL tube is new or old. Whereas my FL actinic really brings out the luminous effect of the coral even thou the tube is almost 2 yrs old with black burnt marking at both end of the tube now.

Do a search in most reef forum and you know the answer..... :D

• SRC Member

Hon,

Haven't heard you in a while. Time to replace the FL, they don't last more than a year, even that is pushing it. You are wasting wattage producing less light.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

IMO, Coralife actinic 03 PLs are true actinics, having the same peaks as the FL version.

Hon,

I used them and my corals flourescence the same way... so what's the diff?? I see the same luminous effects as FL actinics... are you sure your bulb wasn't spoilt?

I think some reefers confuse the blue PL blubs as being actinic.

• SRC Member

AT

Confirm wan...in fact me running both Coralife PL and FL actinic blue in my tank now. It's my 2nd tube of Coralife PL I'm using now. When the PL is turn on only, the coral don't show much flourescence (know i know how to spell), but if FL actinic is turn on, the coral show intense flourescence.

• SRC Member

Wah, very confuse now. Should I or shouldn't I buy Actinic Blue PL.

I saw in the website that there is a Actinic Blue and Actinic 03 Blue. Hon, which one is yours ? AT's definitely is a Actinic 03 Blue as it is printed on the lamp itself.

Limpc

• SRC Member

Well...my PL is by Coralife, it also printed Actinic there, it cost $50 for a 36watt tube. You can solve your confusion by getting a brand new Coralife PL tube and compare its flourescence ability of the coral with a FL Actinic.

The FL actinic i using now also by Coralife will built-in internal reflector. It a 2ft, 20watt tube.

I guess those overseas talk about True Actinic PL is not available in Spore.

• SRC Member

Problem with PL actinics is that there are just too many fake ones on the market and the real ones are too expensive. True FL Actinics are more easily available and cheaper than PL.

Real actinic looks violet/lilac due to their peak at 420nm while the fake actinics are just pale blue light. If you have a chance to compare them side by side, it's very obvious.

Fake actinic may not be all that useless since their blue light will be just right to supplement Iwasaki 6500K and Ushio 10000K which have a lot of violet light.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif