MadKenZ's Rimless 60 Cube

Madkenz

• SRC Member

wow your chiller 1/4 can go inside! hope have some allowance so as the sump would not be too hot to prolong the chilling time! very nice and solid setup~

Chiller inside what? Chiller is outside the cabinet, at the side.

• SRC Supporter

Sump view, overflow compartment with sock holder, follow by refugium on the left, and return pump + FR.

i see that you are planing to use filter sock in you sump.. Prehapes you might want to consider having a "shield" over the compartment in case your filter socks choke and overflow out of your sump. Previously i had a choked filter bag while i was oversea and ended up with water flowing out of my sump flooding my living room. :(

Luckily my parent came in time to save my fishes...

• SRC Member

i see that you are planing to use filter sock in you sump.. Prehapes you might want to consider having a "shield" over the compartment in case your filter socks choke and overflow out of your sump. Previously i had a choked filter bag while i was oversea and ended up with water flowing out of my sump flooding my living room. :(

phew.. lucky boss, yea filter socks is damn solid to trap the particles but if going overseas.. i would suggest using normal filter wool as it would just flow to the side instead of overflowing...

ya i use filter sock before for my 4ft before in the end use back filter wool and then use nothing at all now

but a lot of particular laying around the sump...

so far my pods love it and dashing around in it just like a playground to them..

bro mad i'll suggest you to have a square wooden stick to be cut to the height of you cabinet, and stuff it in the centre of the front door....

to act as an pillar as your design are frt and rear open concept it'll cause to to bend side way over time...

End result you won't be happy bout it

The sock holder is lower than the sump glass, water will no flow out of the sump when overflow happen.

Sock maintenance schedule is to wash every 3 days to remove DOC. Boss, thanks for the infor, will plan to remove filter sock

whenever away for overseas trip.

Steven, thanks for the concern, will monitor closely. :thumbsup:

Rockscape completed. Built from dry rocks, pvc & epoxy compound. Still perfer to have substrate than bare bottom.... :(

post-18618-0-40441900-1294234621_thumb.j

• SRC Member

The sock holder is lower than the sump glass, water will no flow out of the sump when overflow happen.

Sock maintenance schedule is to wash every 3 days to remove DOC. Boss, thanks for the infor, will plan to remove filter sock

whenever away for overseas trip.

Steven, thanks for the concern, will monitor closely. :thumbsup:

Rockscape completed. Built from dry rocks, pvc & epoxy compound. Still perfer to have substrate than bare bottom.... :(

To solve your bare bottom problem.. that is easy.. place lot of nice Zoas on it... NICE..

Straydum,

minimalistic concept, less rock more open sand bed, less pump more flow.

Ahlee,

use zoas to replace substrate :wacko:… I leave the task to you, time to add a 2ft tank to your main system. :evil:

Update, manage to run mp40 at full power without major sand storm within the 2 ft cube.

I used dry aragonite- bermuda pink coral chip for high energy area (high flow)

and Oolite live sand (super fine) for low energy area (low flow), and location of pump is critical too.

MP40 operate under 0.2 second short phase- full power

ima.. tank undergo nitrogen cycle with raw prawn added.

SG: 1.023

pH: 8.31

post-18618-0-91415600-1294756664_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Market prawn mission accomplished, now rest in peace :angel:

The background is 'no coral land' as it got direct blow from the wavermaker

Today installed refugium lights and introduced marco alga, Caulerpa. Hope it with multiplies and help to remove excess ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates

post-18618-0-67891400-1295779508_thumb.j

post-18618-0-52180000-1295779521_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Today installed refugium lights and introduced marco alga, Caulerpa. Hope it with multiplies and help to remove excess ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates

Cool looking refugium lights! Can you share with us where did you get the holder and lights? I am keen to get something like that too! If it's alright with you, can you also share with us the cost?

Thanks! :ThanxSmiley:

Comments are welcome!

Caulerpa algae will go asexual after some time. Meaning it will turn white and basically dissolves into the tank, in doing so it releases alot of organic matter into the water which it has absorbed during the period it was green.

This drastically reduces the oxygen content in the water, it can suffocate everything in the tank and worst case scenario crash your tank.

Most reefer here use cheato algae which doesn't go asexual and its more stable.

Look like a PAR Led ?dry.gif

Caulerpa algae will go asexual after some time. Meaning it will turn white and basically dissolves into the tank, in doing so it releases alot of organic matter into the water which it has absorbed during the period it was green.

This drastically reduces the oxygen content in the water, it can suffocate everything in the tank and worst case scenario crash your tank.

Most reefer here use cheato algae which doesn't go asexual and its more stable.

one key reason of using caulerpa, the roots of caulerpa will diffuses O2 thought out the mud substrate. Any way will introduce cheato as well, kiasu me. :evil: