My First Marine Tank

• SRC Member

Hi all bros,

I have just started my first Marine Tank...

NSW from helpful and hardworking Victor from Iwarna who rushed over Sunday to change my water for me...

Just got LS and LR from 2 reefers to start my tank cycling; Richie13 & Haimi *Thanks bros for giving me so much advise and tips on starting this tank.

Spent hours rockscaping my first tank....it was not easy though satisfying...attached a few photos for all to advise.

I have installed a 2nd hand OR Skimmer.

Attached the picture.

Am I right?

Is the water level correct?

How long should I wait to see those yellowish stuff?

post-18691-0-26477500-1296577653_thumb.j

post-18691-0-71483500-1296577658_thumb.j

post-18691-0-56366800-1296577665_thumb.j

post-18691-0-63576400-1296577671_thumb.j

post-18691-0-91418500-1296577676_thumb.j

post-18691-0-30045000-1296577682_thumb.j

Hi, I presume u are asking water level for yr sump. Just stop yr return pump and see the level. It should not overflow. For yr skimmer, if it is not brand new, less the run in period, u are likely to see effect within these few days but subject to yr water quality. Hope this help.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

For water in sump look quite high to me, You can test like bro Solo77 says. And you can do trick by drill small hole on return pipe at water level. it will help to stop water to suck back to sump.

What is yellowish that you mean?

Tank Spec :

Display tank : 48" x 24" x 18."'(H)

Sump tank : 25" x 23" x 18"(H)

Return pump : Reef Octopus 8000

Wave Maker : Vortech MP10Wes

Lighting : DIY LED (Cree led) 60 bulb

Chiller : helia 55hs

Skimmer : BM Curve 7

Controller : Reef Angel

• SRC Member

If the water level in your sump(ie where your skimmer is sitting) is constant at current level, put a platform to raise your skimmer higher out of the water. That should reduce the water gushing out & you'll be able to better regulate your skimmer.

Hi Vinc, welcome welcome ;)

Would be good to make the level of water in your sump to around 8 inch for this skimmer.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/octopus-nw-150-skimmer-help-me-please-61335-3.html

That's what I did when I last used the same skimmer. You might not be able to see the foam instantly though. Give it some time to break in. The attached image may help you to reference how the skimmer should function once it has break in (the lighter foam should rise).... but still depends on the water parameters and condition. If no fish and DOC in your water ... nothing to skim so not much skimmate produced :)

Hope this helps.

post-17339-0-85861400-1296610042_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Would be good to make the level of water in your sump to around 8 inch for this skimmer. <<= dont understand.

If this 8 inch is the water level in the sump, my skimmer is sitting in the sump without any raising. Right?

I saw foam forming when i am back in office...working?

• SRC Member

Seems like a lot of water splashing out of the skimmer outlet pipe, any micro bubbles in your main tank? If so either fit a sponge to the outlet or stuff a piece of sponge on the last partition before the return pump. Foam level for the skimmer seems a tad too high also, just a cm lower would be best to get semi wet skimmate. Check your salinity also as it effects skimming, maintain 1.023~1.025, if fish only setup 1.021

Second what Soul mention. pull down the sleeve of the tube to make ur water level IN THE SKIMMER

slightly lower, maybe at a level just at the start of the collection cup

Put a s

ponge on the sleeve to cushion the outlet flow from your skimmer so that ur tank water will not have too much microbubbles.

Lastly, your skimmer is producing foam and this is good news - its working but no dark gunk produced yet as its still new and ur water might still be clean.

also take note , for in sump skimmer, every time u dip ur hands in the display tank, the foam will readjust itself. So don't panic, this is normal ;)

Happy CNY

hi bro vinc, yup its good that u have a log of ur tank setup activities. At least u know what and when things go right or wrong.

What ru cycling ur tank with? ru doing fishless cycling or otherwise? What's the water parameters like?

Also, hope that this is not ur final rock scaping as the rocks are stacked with no spacings in between the rocks. Shud spaced the rocks for allowance of waterflow.

• SRC Member

My Log Book for setting up my first marine tank:

NSW - 23/1/2011

LR & LS & RO 150 Skimmer - 31/1/2011

LR & LS - 1/2/2011

LR - 7/2/2011

Tested:

Ammonia and nitrate level safe

Waiting to introduce 1 or 2 fishes to my tank...

Hi Vincc,

The Topic title has been changed as per your request. How big is your tank size ? Prehapes you can share with us more on your tank specification, i.e ; Tank size, skimmer model, lighting , pump used ect so that we can advice you if any .

Look to me like yours is a big tank, but the skimmer look a little bit undersize :P

• SRC Member

Very important to have a good water level in your sump.

E.g if return pump fail u gonna flood your floor.

Another thing is u can try choosing bigger live rock for your tank,your tank seems to have more than enough space.

Easier to scape and also looks much more nicer! :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

<br />Thanks! <br />

I will state all. I am still sourcing for items from other bros here.<br />

Waiting for any cheap sale...currently over my budget as I didn't expect to get such a big tank initially.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

U can stocks slowly and let your tank settle over time. Patient is the key to success :)

• SRC Member

Perhaps the live rocks in your main tank can be scaped nicely if you stack the rocks to form "caves" with overhangs so that the fishes can hides in these areas.

any example for this "stack the rocks to form "caves" with overhangs so that the fishes can hides in these areas.""

• 2 weeks later...