Some doubts on using sump tank

YinGYinG-

hi guys, im now having a 2 feet tank. everything is stable now running on 1 protin skimmer (weipro 2011) i think is this model but i know the one i get is enough for 2 ft alr, undergravel filter connected to a hangover filter. so im thinking of adding a sum tank so can anyone give me advice should i do a sum tank for just a 2ft tank? another doubt would be if i run a sum tank, if there is a power shortage in the house would the sum tank cause any flooding as there is no power to power the pumps?

• SRC Member

hi YingYing,

Welcome to our reefing community. 1st time I communicated with someone from Afghanistan.

Would be easier if you can show us some of your tank pics. Firstly, Weipro is ok, but there're better skimmers out there.

Below is a recent link regarding undergravel.

Your sump tank should have sufficient capacity to accommodate extra water volume during power outage.

apart from the additional capacity, u need to drill hole or use stop valve to ensure backflow due to gravity will not happen. If not, you are likely to encounter flooding unless your sump has the capacity certain amount of water from the main tank. Hope this help.

hi guys, im now having a 2 feet tank. everything is stable now running on 1 protin skimmer (weipro 2011) i think is this model but i know the one i get is enough for 2 ft alr, undergravel filter connected to a hangover filter. so im thinking of adding a sum tank so can anyone give me advice should i do a sum tank for just a 2ft tank? another doubt would be if i run a sum tank, if there is a power shortage in the house would the sum tank cause any flooding as there is no power to power the pumps?

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

A sump is not a must but good to have as it increase yr volume of water, act as mechanical filtration, increase space for other purposes like biofiltration, hse fluidizer, add refugium, etc and lastly easier maintenance, etc. Should not post any issue by adding a sump. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

A sump is not a must but good to have as it increase yr volume of water, act as mechanical filtration, increase space for other purposes like biofiltration, hse fluidizer, add refugium, etc and lastly easier maintenance, etc. Should not post any issue by adding a sump. All the best.

ok ty so much for the help.. :D all the best to u too

• SRC Member

HOB = Hang On Back

It usually refers to a piece of equipment designed to hang on the brim of your tank.

You only need one or two pumps in the sump to 'push' water back into display tank. There's no need to pump water from display into sump. Water naturally overflows into sump via gravity.

Samples of overflow boxes.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/wetdrytricklefilters/tp/topoverflowboxes.htm

How an overflow box work?

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

HOB = Hang On Back

It usually refers to a piece of equipment designed to hang on the brim of your tank.

You only need one or two pumps in the sump to 'push' water back into display tank. There's no need to pump water from display into sump. Water naturally overflows into sump via gravity.

Samples of overflow boxes.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/wetdrytricklefilters/tp/topoverflowboxes.htm

How an overflow box work?

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

ICIC... idk whether to put or not.. see how things go then decide bah.. thx! :D