Normal Sun Coral

vinccc2009

i find meaty feeding makes them grow baby polyps within the same trunk sides,

sometimes it depend on the species also..

prolong feedin purely on pods in sea may hv made the polyp big but no baby poylp, i dun remb seeing suns hv any babies at tioman

they most likely vary on the habitant

iwarna gt some pretty nice 1s,some with mix of orange n black.. some yellow n orange

• SRC Member

By the way, from my pic, are these the biggest they can open?

I saw some supersun pic and they can bloom very big..

super sun yes ... i have a few heads about 50c size.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

i used to feed with mysis and cyclopeze. just messes up the water too much. now i mostly feed with fauna marin ultra LPS (time to time mysis and live brine), and so far they've been blooming with a bang !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

i used to feed with mysis and cyclopeze. just messes up the water too much. now i mostly feed with fauna marin ultra LPS (time to time mysis and live brine), and so far they've been blooming with a bang !

Any pic?

• SRC Member

Any pic?

see below :

post-17191-0-46928400-1306131032_thumb.j

the biggest head is the lower left one, the only one with the mouth always shaped like a " Y ". now about 43 heads, ~ 30 adults and 13 kids and babies :eyebrow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

haha open ... if that size closed, sounds like a rhizo already :shock:

no..no still smaller than rhizo.. Rhizo is HUGE.

I had seen super sun with about 50c closed size that opens to almost 3inch diameter.

But not to be envious, frequent feeding make them grows fast and BIG.

• SRC Member

no..no still smaller than rhizo.. Rhizo is HUGE.

I had seen super sun with about 50c closed size that opens to almost 3inch diameter.

But not to be envious, frequent feeding make them grows fast and BIG.

haha ... that's big. i need to keep on injecting them steroids then.

yeah, i checked, and you're right. when 'extremely' extended, the 3 heads extend 3/4" vertically, and about 1.5" wide, so bigger than 50c. closed, it's about the size of 1 gold coin <_<

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

This is my first try on Sun Coral...

currently only open when I ON my blue lights..

Any good advise on how to make this Sunny well taken care of?

also try to wean them to feed during lights on ... coz naturally they're in dark areas / caves, so not used to light, but i think should be able to adapt, just not in totally bright-blasted areas. with this, can see them open whether lights on or off. i always feed them with lights on, and for lights off, then it's just up to them what they can catch in the water column.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

awesome sunnies you got there :welldone:

thanks. started with around ~ 30 heads ... now about 43. so far 3 adults and 3 babies RIP, due to unknown disease (?), the adults just closed up and started to melt, and their babies at the sides followed. for both cases (~ 6 mos ago, and early this year), removed and quarantined them, gently flush with fresh NSW the dying heads time to time when i see some gooie stuff. good that the other heads beside eventually stayed healthy and did not get hit.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

A very potent way to get them to open is seafood mix... Prawn, Sliverfish, sotong and blend den mix with rotifers, cyclopeeze and mysis... Squirt at the sun coral on the time that you want it to open... After a week, it will open at the time... After 1-2 months, it will remain open...

PS: Skimmer need to be oversize and it will go crazy...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Really envy to see all these super sunnies...

at least there is a target for me...

i will learn my easy way first with sunny...

next time then promote to super sunnies...-)

Bro, normal suns are just as nice, especially when the whole rock is fully opened and extended. From your first pic, yours should open up twice that size. Super sun is bigger per polyp and but it's super costly and much smaller too relative to normal suns. Personally, i'm not sure why the craze over super suns.

And before you venture more of them, think long-term if you are willing to feed individual heads on a regular basis. If you think you are those '5 mins warm' type and too busy to do constant target feeding, then better think twice of buying more.

Happy reefing.