Do I Need These?

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Happy New Year To Everyone (and let's say keep it that way...!)

Currently owns a 3 x 1.5 x 2ft tank with a 2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5ft sump.

I am using a Eheim 1200l/h power head as return pump.

My Questions are:

1. Is my return pump powerful enough to support my tank? (I was told it isn't enough and that explains my post in the pasar malam looking to buy more powerful return pumps)

2. The water temperature howvers around 26~28 degrees during the day ON WEEKDAYS as I have the tank in my office. Once, I noticed that the water temperature was 30 degrees on a Sunday (centralised air-con). Do I need to get a chiller? If yes, what power rating and can anyone recommend a cheap and reliable brand?

3. Am also told that I need light for my sump's refrigium. What should I use? How much does it cost?

Please pardon me :bow: but I am so new at this and have started to become terrified at the seemingly never-ending cost of my setup. So any experienced, penny-wise and constructive inputs are most welcome! :thanks:

• SRC Member

if u intend to keep fish only, then 30 might not be a prob but then if u intend to keep a reef then i guess that 30 degrees is too high... for a chiller, u can try getting the resun cl300... it's what i use for my 3 footer... ppl say it's under-rated as it takes a long time to cool the tank down... but since the tank is in your office, :evil: u're not paying the bills right :lol::lol:

normal pl lights can be used for the refuge... cost around $60 ;)

happy reefing :peace:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

thanks bro,

any idea how much does the resun cl300 costs? Also, what and how much is the next available alternative?

Since the temperature only goes up in the weekends when the centralised air-con is not on, I only intend to activate the chiller in the weekends, especially Sunday (with an electronic timer)