DIY compact algae scrubber...

MbmC

• SRC Member

Well, this is still a project in progress. And it really just started as a discussion with DE, wondering if I could in fact DIY it myself!

Since there seems to be more than just some interest, and if DE is agreeable, I'll put it up in the bulk order forum when things are working well!

• SRC Member

Forgot to mention that i used plastic cloth pegs to hold the screen in place when i could not find anything else. Now i use the clear plastic pegs that you will find when you unpack shirts bought from G2000. They have this u-shape pegs. Clear plastic and slim version. Nice stuff. :groupwavereversed:

what screen do you use?

hi Mbmc,

i read through santa monico SM100 link and he is eheim 1260 pump which is rated 2400L/H. he have a 1inch of water line level in his SM100 with a 1inch outlet.

can i know about your design with eheim1000 too.

jerome

• SRC Member

hi Mbmc,

i read through santa monico SM100 link and he is eheim 1260 pump which is rated 2400L/H. he have a 1inch of water line level in his SM100 with a 1inch outlet.

can i know about your design with eheim1000 too.

jerome

I realize he uses a 1260. But I can't, and the best pump I can fit into my tiny little sump is the compact 1000. DE Lightings is almost done with the project, so when I start it running I'll be able to tell if it's sufficient.

• SRC Member

Follow up pictures.

Mesh inserted into slit along pipe and secured with cable ties... Check

Small splash cover to shield lights from water spray...Check

2 outlet to be done. Realize the height of the bulkhead in the box will ensure that there is a 1 inch height of water for the 3D effect. The strength of pump is necessary to be able to completely wet every portion of the mesh, as well as to maximize delivery of nutrients to the algae...

Eagerly anticipating wiring and tubings, then will run it in on my tank...

post-13833-13098773617551_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I collected my Algae scrubber from DE. I would say great workmanship on the algae scrubber and consider the price i paid for it, it worth everything.

parts were machine fabricated nicely. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tested it out this morning and you would require at least a 2000L flow to have a full cover over the mesh. The slit for the meshh to fit in was cut just nice so the water would flow smoothly down covering the whole mesh without much splash

Im unable to post any pictures yet as i now in camp :( :( :(

Hi everyone,

I collected my Algae scrubber from DE. I would say great workmanship on the algae scrubber and consider the price i paid for it, it worth everything.

tested it out this morning and you would require at least a 2000L flow to have a full cover over the mesh. The slit for the meshh to fit in was cut just nice so the water would flow smoothly down covering the whole mesh without much splash

Overall It awesome to get hold of a great algae scubber at a fraction of shipping in a SM100.workmanship was great. :welldone:

• SRC Member

DE mentioned someone started using one already, and that you need at least 2000l flow to keep the mesh fully wet. Guess I gotta relook at my choice of a compact 1000. But my sump is really tiny, and I'd rather not run the pump externally. Might end up using an AB2000i instead. Should be collecting my scrubber from DE today :)

DE mentioned someone started using one already, and that you need at least 2000l flow to keep the mesh fully wet. Guess I gotta relook at my choice of a compact 1000. But my sump is really tiny, and I'd rather not run the pump externally. Might end up using an AB2000i instead. Should be collecting my scrubber from DE today :)

This is the issue i highlighted when i share about my In sump ATS. A wider and shorter screen design requires a much larger pump to drive. This is non efficient and adds lots of heat and not mentioning taking up precious estate in our tiny sumps. I have actually taken the trouble to bring my sump back to the glass maker to have it corrected despite the inconvenience as i recognized that the heat and space issue is long term and a bigger issue that the inconvenience of correcting the flawed design.

Seriously, for those with nano and tiny sumps, please consider using the in built ATS as an option. I have been using it with great success. If you are the lazy type, you can even just measure the sump and get the glass maker to cut a piece of glass for you. Then u drain the water from ur sump and then silicon the glass yourself and allowing it to cure for 1 day before you use the sump again. This is a much cheaper option and it works great.

• SRC Member

This is the issue i highlighted when i share about my In sump ATS. A wider and shorter screen design requires a much larger pump to drive. This is non efficient and adds lots of heat and not mentioning taking up precious estate in our tiny sumps. I have actually taken the trouble to bring my sump back to the glass maker to have it corrected despite the inconvenience as i recognized that the heat and space issue is long term and a bigger issue that the inconvenience of correcting the flawed design.

Seriously, for those with nano and tiny sumps, please consider using the in built ATS as an option. I have been using it with great success. If you are the lazy type, you can even just measure the sump and get the glass maker to cut a piece of glass for you. Then u drain the water from ur sump and then silicon the glass yourself and allowing it to cure for 1 day before you use the sump again. This is a much cheaper option and it works great.

I know your concerns, but I also had the problem of trying to fit an ATS into my already small and tight sump and scrubber. In a space that measures 16x16x24 roughly, I have a skimmer, sump tank, dosing pump, 2 compact 1000s, rocks, top up tank, lights and top up device.

I've built my own sump tank before with good success, but there is no way I'd modify my ELOS sump.

I previously explored an insump ATS, but there is no way I can fit it in there. Hence the search for an outsump device. Your idea, design, and application is good, but not suitable for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway, this is a thread I created to discuss this ATS project. There are hundreds of designs out there, no one claiming to be the best design.

• SRC Member

i plan to use one of the compartment in my tiny sump for the ATS.

measurement is 8cm x 20cm x 35cm

plan to have a 4" x 5" ATS in the compartment for a 40L nano tank

is it sufficient?

• SRC Member

There is an extremely detailed FAQ on SM's thread that provides minimum flow rate, lighting, and all sorts of info on Algae Scrubbers for people who are looking to DIY. Suggest you read up that FAQ!

Hi everyone,

hi bro, what is the length of the mesh? if it's 2ft, then the recommended flowrate will be 840gph, which is omost 3,000l/hr...my 2 cents...

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

Finally got the ATS running after lots of manipulating the corrugated pipe I'm using for the return. Managed to cramp an AB2000i in the sump, only just. There literally is no more room for any movement.

Flow rate looks good at present, whole of mesh is covered with water. The other consideration is adequate rate of delivery of nutrients, but let's see what happens first.

Miscalculated the space I had at the rear of my tank, so I couldn't quite get it to fit flush with the tank. Measures about 28" long including the piping.

And a picture of my almost too crowded sump. Don't think I can fit anymore into this setup...

post-13833-13104077495452_thumb.jpg

post-13833-13104077771662_thumb.jpg

post-13833-13104078129628_thumb.jpg

post-13833-13104080326698_thumb.jpg

Finally got the ATS running after lots of manipulating the corrugated pipe I'm using for the return. Managed to cramp an AB2000i in the sump, only just. There literally is no more room for any movement.

Flow rate looks good at present, whole of mesh is covered with water. The other consideration is adequate rate of delivery of nutrients, but let's see what happens first.

Miscalculated the space I had at the rear of my tank, so I couldn't quite get it to fit flush with the tank. Measures about 28" long including the piping.

And a picture of my almost too crowded sump. Don't think I can fit anymore into this setup...

Wow.. Huge ATS.. :bow: Not sure yr ATS placement will effected yr mp heat dissipation in long run? Since is close to yr ATS light source as well.. take note ya.. Cheers... :thumbsup:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

There is an extremely detailed FAQ on SM's thread that provides minimum flow rate, lighting, and all sorts of info on Algae Scrubbers for people who are looking to DIY. Suggest you read up that FAQ!

ok ok

looks like I only need 4 to 5" ...