Custom 6 foot Reef tank

Oprime

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 6 feet rimless would likely need to be long, short, & narrow. Below is any example.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1893104

Hi turnicate,

Thanks for the advice. That would be a pretty cool looking tank.

I spent 4 hours today speaking to some experts and doing some heavy research. These are the results that I came up with.

1. Its always a good idea to get a tank which isn't deep.

2. An ideal depth should be 22 inches (2 inches short of 2 feet). I have a 260 litre fresh water aquarium and its 25.2 inches deep and find it to be a bit of a pain during maintenance even though im a pretty tall chap. Lights will punch right through as well.

3. On the issue of width it all depends on how much space we have available and how much reach will we be capable of if its against the wall. 3 feet should be pretty ideal.

The rest of what i am writing isnt relevant to the question i asked but i'd just like to share what i assimilated today.

(a) the best lights to use would be LED. They are the brightest and heat emissions are very very much less compared to Halides and Fluorescents. And Halides will go kaput much faster.

(B) for a tank that size the best chiller system would be an artica or a custom made chilling system with a titanium rod.

© the best system with regards to a pump / filter would be a computerised system, Apparently this costs around $2,500 bucks - i forgot to get the name of the system.

(d) its important to have a back up filter and for this we can get an Eheim external canister filter

(e) A good skimmer would be the Bubble Magnus Hero 320

Based on the specs it would be around 313 US Gallons or a whopping 1185 litres! (Have decided on 7 x 3 x 1.83 feet)

It would be great to receive input and comments from fellow reefers.

Regds

G

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• SRC Member

wow v. long never post these kinda stuff... so others do chip in if i'm wrong!

1. Its always a good idea to get a tank which isn't deep.

Really depends on your tolerance level as mentioned in 2.

2. An ideal depth should be 22 inches (2 inches short of 2 feet). I have a 260 litre fresh water aquarium and its 25.2 inches deep and find it to be a bit of a pain during maintenance even though im a pretty tall chap. Lights will punch right through as well.

22" works, but imo height has to be proportionate to length, so if you're going 6' or 7'. 22" wouldn't cut for me, but tt's just me

3. On the issue of width it all depends on how much space we have available and how much reach will we be capable of if its against the wall. 3 feet should be pretty ideal.

Really depends on what sort of scaping you want too, but i think 3' is a good start. LED modules these days typically only cover a spread of 1.5-2' if you run them lengthwise, so you might want to take tt into consideration cost wise

(a) the best lights to use would be LED. They are the brightest and heat emissions are very very much less compared to Halides and Fluorescents. And Halides will go kaput much faster.

Think many ppl agree tt LED is the future. Since the technology is still new-er compared to others, cost wise is $$$, but we are starting to see more efficiencies. However if you are go deep like 3' height or more, think many still use MH.

(B) for a tank that size the best chiller system would be an artica or a custom made chilling system with a titanium rod.

Titanium ftw

© the best system with regards to a pump / filter would be a computerised system, Apparently this costs around $2,500 bucks - i forgot to get the name of the system.

2 different things you are talking about here. the system most likely is profillux and it allows you to monitor PH,temperature, Redox to name a few, and a million other controls as well. Good to have, but not an essential. Can google it to find out more.

A more efficient method of filtration is usually done through the sump, not an external canister filter.

Pumps: Red Dragon, Eheim, Aquabee (in order of $$$$ and, debatable, quality)

Wavemaker: Vortech and Tunze are the more popular and $$$$ ones

(d) its important to have a back up filter and for this we can get an Eheim external canister filter

sump... less troublesome

(e) A good skimmer would be the Bubble Magnus Hero 320

depends. $$$$$ BK and Deltec FTW

For yr tank size, u must know what u are going. Depth wise, 2.5 to 3 ft are good. For height, flower will be good for 2 to 2.5. For coral, 2 or below. For light, no best to me. Still boils down to what u intend to keep. A big tank size, drop-in coil would be recommended. For controller system, not a must. For equipment, will depends on how deep yr po ket is. Abyzzz return pump in and more exp than red dragon.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Solo

Thank you for your reply. To be honest I want a good reef tank, again what is good is subjective but the whole idea is to a bang out of the buck. Will be going for LED lighting but on the other stuff what would you guys recommend? Filtration, skimmer etc

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

Hello.. you can also try going to reef central and see how they build their large tank to have a better idea and clearer picture.

anyway dont forget about water flow.

for that size best is to use drop in think its better IMO

Opss, didn't know I got so much typo. Lol, sorry for that. Want to share why u think led is preferred? If u are keeping non sps, yes led likely can support. Otherwise u are likely to get t5 supplement. Do chk out the recent topic posted fr user review. Definitely better than shops.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I agree with bro Comy about doing away with canister filter. The 2 areas where mechanical filtration may likely fail you is when:

(1) A large piece of coral or anemone gets dislodged & blocks your overflow comb.

(2) Filter sock gets clogged up & overflows.

A canister filter is unlikely to help much in the above 2 scenarios.

Found a 6 footer rimless that's close to the dimension you're aiming for. Size is 72"x36"x22". Below is the article from boss & its video link in Youtube. Useful as a reference for your planning.

BTW, I notice rimless setups typically have no hoods. Probably to better display their "rimlessness". :lol:

• SRC Member

for your 6footer...u need a powerful skimmer....u dun really need an external cannister, if u have a sump tank below...i would recommend deltec rather than the china made brand or u can consider skimz from aquamarin.

fyi, LED technology is still quite costly...esp for your tank size....and u probably need T5 to complement your LED....so be mentally prepared to fork out an investment....but having said that, if you are keeping mainly fishes, then u dun really require very strong lightings.

n also consider a tank maker that can provide reliable post-sales support for you, in case anything happen, or u need help...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

For a 6 footer, I would straight away go

1. Drop in coil compressor chiller ( I assume you're gonna have a sump as to me a tank that size should not go for a canister filter)

2. An Overpowered skimmer. I personally prefer Deltec but it's up to you to troll the internet to see what brands are available and the reviews they have.

3. 2 feet height is good enough since your tank is gonna be wide of 3 feet, if you have any higher, its gonna be absolutely impossible to reach the middle. My current tank is 2.5 feet width and 2 feet high and I am having problems reaching the center... (I'm not that tall only 1.62 but my husband is 1.78M and he has problems reaching the center!)

4. Lights : really depends on what you wanna keep. You say Reef.. but reef has many kinds of corals.. LPS? SPS? Although MH gives out allot of heat, it depends on your setup. Totally enclosed? OPen? if yo're going to go for a 3 feet width, you're gonna need ALLOT more modules of the LED ( depending on which brand and model you go for) in order for the sides to get sufficient light. I am using an EColamp KR92 and my sides are not as bright as I want them to be .. if I really wanted to ensure my whole tank is brightly lit, I would need 2 modules of the KR92 hanging side by side so that again is the COST factor. LED is way more expensive but of course you save in the electric bills. There are many other brands of LED in the market so do take a look too. :)

5. Any idea which wavemakers you going for? TUnze? VOrtech?

good luck. :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Hi Guys (desideria, AhSiang.....)

Thank you for all your views and interest. This is pretty exciting BUT it's scary as well cos we really need to get this right. Will split up the issues as follows:-

Lighting

Now im told that LEDs don't cover the whole light spectrum and they last only 3 years so im wondering is it worth forking out 4k just for the light? I have to do set them vertically to maximize lighting. If i do it lengthwise two units wont do justice apparently.

It depends on what i want to have in the tank yes, but dont we all want it ALL! lol LED Brand - Orphex - IMO AND in the Opinion of a good friend 5 years should be no problem and the spectrum is not an issue.

Skimmer

No Issues here

Tank Dimensions

No Issue here - will do it either 6 or 7 feet long / 3 feet wide and 2 feet high - any advice against this - glad to here your views - Rimless more ex though!! decisions decisions.

Pump

This is where the headache lies. I want the best for this tank so what do I do? Sump & Eheim pump thats it? Any views on the fancy schmancy computerised system which replicates high tide and low tide and periodical calmness? Adyzz Pump - Model no not sure. Eheim Pump as back up.

Thats about it i guess!!

PS Just got a Skunk Tilefish for my nano. What a beauty! Pic attached

post-19530-0-70288500-1309345898_thumb.j

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• SRC Member

Thank you for all your views and interest. This is pretty exciting BUT it's scary as well cos we really need to get this right. Will split up the issues as follows:-

Lighting

Now im told that LEDs don't cover the whole light spectrum and they last only 3 years so im wondering is it worth forking out 4k just for the light? I have to do set them vertically to maximize lighting. If i do it lengthwise two units wont do justice apparently.

It depends on what i want to have in the tank yes, but dont we all want it ALL! lol LED Brand - Orphex - IMO AND in the Opinion of a good friend 5 years should be no problem and the spectrum is not an issue.

Skimmer

No Issues here

Tank Dimensions

No Issue here - will do it either 6 or 7 feet long / 3 feet wide and 2 feet high - any advice against this - glad to here your views - Rimless more ex though!! decisions decisions.

Pump

This is where the headache lies. I want the best for this tank so what do I do? Sump & Eheim pump thats it? Any views on the fancy schmancy computerised system which replicates high tide and low tide and periodical calmness? Adyzz Pump - Model no not sure. Eheim Pump as back up.

Thats about it i guess!!

the lighting part...its yr judgement call. from my perspective, if u have to spend $4k on LEd lights...i wd suggest u go with MH....u can ask dr evil for a quote. LED is going to be cheaper in a few yrs time....but now, its still very costly.

but 2 things u will need to seriously consider:-

1. chiller - you need drop coil chiller to chill that amt of gallons of water u have.

2. return pump - at least 2 return pumps if you are using ehiem or aquabee. Must be reliable n powerful.

gadgets like high tide, low tide...is good for sps tanks....in their natural, during low tides some of these sps are exposed.

check out this guy's tank

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

wow his Tangs are HUGEEEE

btw I agree go for 2 return so that if 1 fails.. you have 1 still working.. and get either ehiem or perhaps Red Dragon? :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Hi Guys

I've decided on the tank dimensions. 8 x 2 x 1.5 feet:-) It will be rimless and open top. Crystal on 3 sides - 15 mm thick. Works out to approximately 680 litres. Considering that the volume of water has been halved, i don't have to go for a drop in coil chiller right? What would you recommend? Cost?

Will i still need 2 x 1264 Eheims or can i use a less powerful model? cost?

Whats a reliable and effective skimmer for a tank this size? cost?

will 3 x 250 watt MHs be enough? how much would this cost?

2xVortech MP60wES - how much will this cost

Thats all i need right? Anything that ive missed out?

Regds

G

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

Based on yr tank dimension and rimless without euro bracing?do get a trustworthy tank maker if u are going for that. For rimless, set yr water lvl clearance more if not u will face water splashing. .when doing maintenance etc. For chiller, tank of this size needs drop-in coil more. For return pump, Maybe under powered. 2 returns are always gd but not necessary. For yr wave maker, rsp for mp60 is already 4 digits. U got to read more , yr setup likely to hit above 10 k or more. For skimmer, ATB, bubble king, deltec, reef octopus, skimz, etc can be considered. 8ft, u might need easily 4 mh.

Algae Scrubbler

Lighting

One of the concerns for LEDS would be aftersales support, there are quite a bit of literature on the net on the viability of LED even for SPS tanks.

I suspect that when u say that LEDs only last for 3 years is on the pretext that your lights are on 24/7?

Another thing to take note would be from your discussion, it seems like you aren't going for compressor chiller, having MH would really tax your chilling system.

Current local reefers usually talk about compensating LEDs on the sides with T5s to achieve the specturm, colouring and still keeping temperature manageable

Last but not least on the LED brand Orphek, this is a supposedly one of the best LED system in US, there was a lengthy write-up on how a particular Canadian Reefer ( Peter and Mr Wilson) who have a 1350 gallon L-shaped tank decided to use ORPHEK as his primary lights, both of them really tried a few on the best technology in the market. You might wanna go down to reefcentral forums to take a look,

PS: Mind posting or pming me your the ORPHEK quotations? :)

Skimmer

No Issues here

Tank Dimensions

Rimless is nice but I think like what bro Solo77 said, u really need to get a good tank maker, a bowing 8 feet tank is O.o

Pump

Thats about it i guess!!

Hi Guys

I've decided on the tank dimensions. 8 x 2 x 1.5 feet:-) It will be rimless and open top. Crystal on 3 sides - 15 mm thick. Works out to approximately 680 litres. Considering that the volume of water has been halved, i don't have to go for a drop in coil chiller right? What would you recommend? Cost?

Is the 1.5 feet the height?

Sorry I might have missed this, but what are your concerns in regards to using compressor coil chiller? the trunking of the aircon pipes?

Will i still need 2 x 1264 Eheims or can i use a less powerful model? cost?

Using 2 return is a good way of avoiding issues related to return pump failures :)

Whats a reliable and effective skimmer for a tank this size? cost?

If you are going for reliability, DELTEC! (never used before, but everyone says it's good)

Personally I am using SKIMZ, affordable and still doing well atm, you could check aquamarin website for prices

will 3 x 250 watt MHs be enough? how much would this cost?

2xVortech MP60wES - how much will this cost

Thats all i need right? Anything that ive missed out?

You need to have a open house when your tank is done :)

Regds

G

• SRC Member

Hi oprime,

Nice tank size! One of my dream next upgrade :)

However I would go for 1.8 ft height, coz there should be about 3 inches for the wave and overflow.

Cheers!

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

OKAY!! Its all been finalised, 6 feet x 2.5 feet x 2 feet. Once the drawings are done I will post them here. Crystal on all sides!! Chengai Wood....electric pink tempered glass for the cabinet!!!

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

Hi Guys

Changes have been made again! Now its 7 x 2.5 x 2.5 feet. 15mm Crystal Glass. OMG I know. Not looking forward to the 120 litre monthly water changes!!! I wont be using a chiller and will instead be going for an air-conditioning unit in the hall. Total cost for tank + skimmer + lights etc :- $7,000.00 estimated (excluding sand, live rock etc)

Will be naming it Atlantis! Once she's up, will be posting pics.

Have a great weekend

G

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE