new liverocks bring disease?

Achilles Tang

Anyone has the experience of introducing new liverocks to a matured tank and then seeing an outbreak of marine velvet?

3 days ago on Sat, I bought about 3kg of liverocks in preparation for my new tank and gave it a freshwater rinse to take out any nuisance shrimp and crabs (a crab came out)... and then put it in my tank.

Yesterday, when I came back from work, all my tangs and fishes had marine velvet.

I immediately fed them food soaked in garlic and even poured some garlic juice into the water (supposed to work by causing the parasites to release their grip)... I hope they will recover quickly.

These few days will be worrying. Actually, in all my years of marine reefkeeping, this is the first time I have seen such a bad outbreak of marine velvet. The occasional war with ich has been successfully won.

Wish me luck! :angry:

Happy to say that 80% of my fishes are almost rid of the marine velvet.

Feeding them garlic soaked food and pouring a bit of garlic juice direct in the water helped.

I was a bit skeptical about the garlic juice in water part, but overseas aquarists have reported success.

The only bad reaction happened to my protein skimmer... which went bonkers... lots of skimmate this morning.

:lol:

• SRC Member

Achilles,

If you use garlic oil from health food stores instead of garlic juice the oils will lower foam production and prevent the skimmer from going in hyper mode.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Garlic oil from health food stores.....can it use? Do they have other chemicals in it that may cause problem in future? Anyway, I used to use Kent marine garlic extract, one small btl for $20/- , a bit Ex but now, I do the garlic juice myself by using fresh garlic purchased from the market.....very much cheaper and it works. I feed my fishes with garlic soaked food every other day for a year now just to prevent the ick coming back again.

For this treatment, I used fresh garlic and squeezed the juice out.

For my normal feeding supplement, I used Kyolic liquid from a health store.

I will do a product review on it soon!

Just normal fresh garlic, peel off the skin and squeeze out the juice? That simple? I think i need to "knock wall" again!! I bought the ecosystem elixir at ~$50 when i was in a panic (a new fish that i introduce cause all my tangs to catch iches).

btw, anyone is doing FW dip for new fish? Can tell me more? what to do?

• SRC Member
That simple? I think i need to "knock wall" again!! I bought the ecosystem elixir at ~$50 when i was in a panic ....

I think from this forum if we begin to find out the many other possible alternatives to those really expensive remedies..... we will "knock walls" : Then soon enough, can have a setup like Achilles....Hahaha..just kidding... :rolleyes:

esp. when we spend a bomb then later realise that there are cheaper ways of doing things and it gives the same results.... and worse still... better results..... <_<