My 2ft x 1ft x 1ft Nano

reckless

Thanks bros for the heads up on LEDs and MM. Yeah well seems like everywhere ran out of MM. So i'm just gonna stick with my current set up. Btw, saw a wave controller module that can make any pump or wavemaker to go into intermittent pulsating mode. Will it be okay for for the wavemaker and pumps?

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

let go of my cleaner shrimp. so its now just a pair of clowns, bicolor blenny and 2 snails in my RSM 130 with DIY Overflow to a 2x1x1 refugium tank.

Any bros doing vodka dosing to their tanks? hopefully u guys can guide me on how to go into this direction considering my current setup. thanks!

• SRC Member

bro, too dangerous, later fish all drunk. haha, jkjk, some people use vinegar, some sugar, some citric acid. they are all tricky to dose. need to monitor multiple parameters including orp/redox and if possible DO to be on the safer side. suggest you to use biopellets or sulphur instead.

lol! thats what i heard too (not about the part of getting drunk :P) did some research on it and it seems that the doses are really really small even for big tanks. I mean like really small! haha...what more if dose into a small tank like mine! but the results are good...I thought of biopellets before... although good, kinda expensive...then again... the hobby itself is expensive. :chair: hehe... anyways, had some new shots taken of my tank... will post when i have the time!

• SRC Member

yup, I already spent 1.5 months of my pay and I still do not even have a drop of water yet! haha. very expensive. maybe you try to dose a lot, then you may see your softies sway more, haha

if you are willing to keep monitoring and adjusting the dose, it's a very good technique. I used that before, fully automatic with a modified controller system with an automated titrator. not worth the effort though, the cost of the constant use of test kits alone may well pay the biopellets.

• 1 month later...

finally managed to find the time to get a small bottle of vodka to give it a try.... i mean to my tank. hehz... started yesterday with 0.1ml in the morning and 0.1ml at night... so far tested my parameters....

NO3 - 20ppm

Phosphate - 0ppm coz been manual dosing phosphate remover

Alkalinity - 12kh

Ph - 8.4

no water change has been done for 2 weeks when water parameters were tested. gonna see if nitrate will go down with this method...

on another note, time to trim my GSP once again when i find the time....and ofcoz, will put them up for sale once i cut out small frags.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys..been awhile since i update... okay so i scrapped the vodka idea coz it needs daily attention....which i cant provide at the moment. but i've been dosing the phosphate remover once in awhile and doing 20% water change every 2 weeks or so. have yet to test the water parameters.

On another note,

- algae are kept at bay. In fact, it is reducing all around the tank except for the usual crazy growth of purple coralline algae.

- My Plate coral is now about the size of my palm... from when i first got it the size of 10cent coin. Also, the new (pin-head size) Plate coral which grew in my tank is now the size of a 5cent coin with the luminous green showing strongly.

- The Tropical Skittle Zoa Frag i have as of today, has 4 polyps. up 3 more polyps from when i first got it.

- Mushies are appearing more here and there.

- Luminous GSP Colony getting really bushy already. need to call grass cutter soon liao

- Think my Magician and RPPE which i got from bro Thairun, have grown 1 or 2 more polyps each.

Also, I've removed the stock RSM 130 built-in Protein Skimmer from the IOS compartment and replaced it with a bigger Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer in the Sump Tank compartment below the RSM tank. So now my tank is at over skimming mode.

• 1 month later...

have got the time to quickly snap some pics of my tank and corals. apologies they're all taken using my phone. both blue and white light switched on.

Tank Shot

IMG_20121027_170554.jpg

Zoa Garden

IMG_20121027_170612.jpg

Zoa Garden second shot. noticed the GSP Frag? it was fragged and glued onto the rock last month. now look closely at how it has spread to the base?

IMG_20121027_162906.jpg

2 palm size Hammerhead

IMG_20121027_162919.jpg

a small plate coral that appeared in my tank near the bigger one that i have. fragged it and placed it at a better spot. growing very well.

IMG_20121027_162849.jpg

thats all for now. thanks for viewing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just some update on my current tank now.

Main tank - 2ft x 1 ft x 1.25ft

diy Five Plan Sump tank 2ft x 1ft x 1ft

Skimz Overflow Box

2 x NanoReef Par38

Reef Octopus Skimmer

2000l Return Pump

Upward Algae turf Scrubber

Ecosystem Miracle Mud

Hydor Nano wavemaker

Another no brand wave maker

Inhabitants

1 snail

A pair of clownfish

1 Melanurus Wrasse

1 Bi-colour Blenny

HammerHead Coral

various Zoas

Mushrooms

Plate Coral

Favia

GSP

Thats about all :)

Just some update on my current tank now. Main tank - 2ft x 1 ft x 1.25ft diy Five Plan Sump tank 2ft x 1ft x 1ft Skimz Overflow Box 2 x NanoReef Par38 Reef Octopus Skimmer 2000l Return Pump Upward Algae turf Scrubber Ecosystem Miracle Mud Hydor Nano wavemaker Another no brand wave maker Inhabitants 1 snail A pair of clownfish 1 Melanurus Wrasse 1 Bi-colour Blenny HammerHead Coral various Zoas Mushrooms Plate Coral Favia GSP Thats about all :)
Nice setup.
  • Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

beautiful tank! can share your DIY sump pic? how you do it?

thanks bro :) its nothing to be proud about really.... its just a bare tank with water coming in from the overflow box on one end and a return pump in a container on the other end. no compartments.

theres a container housing the return pump that acts as a water cut off incase the siphon from the overflow box stops and only water in the container will be pumped into the main tank instead from the whole sump.

In case the return pump fails, the overflow box will handle the water cut off from the main tank to the sump. Tried and tested and pass QC.heh...

Skimmer sits right next to the return pump container. Miracle mud is in a tray-like container for ease of change when the time comes.

Upward Algae scrubber is placed right beside where the water comes in from the overflow box.

I'll snap some pics when i have the time :)

Bro goodbye po4 isit safe to use?

IMO quite safe bro. but you must be really precise with your dosage coz its quite strong. water changes after the whole treatment would be good. Do take note that even with the correct dosage, it will still cause some stress to SOME of your corals..but nothing really serious to be worried about.

Cheers!

• SRC Member

thanks bro :) its nothing to be proud about really.... its just a bare tank with water coming in from the overflow box on one end and a return pump in a container on the other end. no compartments.

theres a container housing the return pump that acts as a water cut off incase the siphon from the overflow box stops and only water in the container will be pumped into the main tank instead from the whole sump.

In case the return pump fails, the overflow box will handle the water cut off from the main tank to the sump. Tried and tested and pass QC.heh...

Skimmer sits right next to the return pump container. Miracle mud is in a tray-like container for ease of change when the time comes.

Upward Algae scrubber is placed right beside where the water comes in from the overflow box.

I'll snap some pics when i have the time :)

sounds really cool! i was thinking of a DIY sump tank with no comparments too for my future 2ft tank.. but was worried that if the overflow fails, the pump may pump too much back to the main tank.. how do u make sure that its only the container's water that is being pumped back? and can PM me the price of the skimz overflow box?

Thanks...

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

IMO quite safe bro. but you must be really precise with your dosage coz its quite strong. water changes after the whole treatment would be good. Do take note that even with the correct dosage, it will still cause some stress to SOME of your corals..but nothing really serious to be worried about. Cheers!
Tks Bro I will give it a try ;)