DIY MINI REFRUGIUM

Eniram

Fellow reefers ever wanted to have a refrugium for your tank? But don't really want it to be in your sump tank? Totally separated from the sump. Well I've DIYed a mini refrugium using an IKEA BOX to be placed just above my sump that I'll like to share with you all.

Pictures to be posted soon stay tune.

Here are the items that you guys need to DIY a refugium that can be placed above the sump tank.

1. IKEA SAMLA BOX
  2. IKEA SAMLA LID
  3. TANK CONNECTORS
  4. SPARE WATER PUMP controllable would be ideal
  5. SPARE LIGHT FIXTURE THAT CAN FIT ONTO THE LID
  6. SPARE TUBING

Bought a SAMLA IKEA box + lid at $4+$2, as I've got some height constrains the 11L box was picked for this project

Here is the link for those who have the luxury of space to pick the ideal box for your sump. http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/60180885#/10180939/

The current online picture is opaque but they have a new colour which is black. Good for reducing light escaping into sump tank which will discourage unnecessary algae growth in sump and in skimmer body, which many of us don't really want

post-1286-0-68251100-1311431076_thumb.jppost-1286-0-14755200-1311431095_thumb.jp

The size of the opening depends on the light fixtures that you are going to use. For me an opening was cut at the lid to fit in a 1 feet aquazonic fixture, but if you guys have spare lights lying around collecting dust pls do reuse them. E.g clip on lamp or LED fixture or spare 2ft fixture.

post-1286-0-29256700-1311432133_thumb.jp

Got 2 PVC tank connectors from the hardware shop near petmart, if you know any other place that sells something similar please do go where its most convenient for you. This tank connector comes with rubber gasket which is fantastic. Bought the smallest that they have, which is about 19mm

post-1286-0-35878300-1311431153_thumb.jppost-1286-0-16932900-1311431161_thumb.jp

Drill holes anywhere on the SAMLA box that you would like the water to enter and to be drained, for me i placed both on the same side.

post-1286-0-61804900-1311436898_thumb.jp

Final result of my mini DIY refugium placed on top of my sump tank, not really fantastic but still need to fine tune this DIY refugium. Especially the gurgling sound and the loose cheato that will some how get into your sump tank

post-1286-0-16682500-1311436987_thumb.jp

This DIY refugium is open for improvements. Feel free to pass your comments and will post bi-monthly results. Hope this will help and benefit the reefing community.

Total cost:

IKEA SAMLA BOX+LID = $6

Tank Connectors = $7.50 each (i think x2) = $15

Lights= $26

Pump= reused

Tubing= reused

Hole saw= $7

So total cost is @ $54

Side note, the lighting cycle for the refugium is 18hrs on 6 hrs off. Following the same cycle as an ATS. Gonna replace the 6000k tubes with warm white tubes, apparently this aquazonic tubes are not t5, they are some what only made by aquazonic. Weird size not t5 not t8 and the tubes are not even 1ft.

Here are the items that you guys need to DIY a refugium that can be placed above the sump tank.

1. IKEA SAMLA BOX
  2. IKEA SAMLA LID
  3. TANK CONNECTORS
  4. SPARE WATER PUMP
  5. SPARE LIGHT FIXTURE THAT CAN FIT ONTO THE LID
  6. SPARE TUBING

Bought a SAMLA IKEA box + lid at $4+$2, as I've got some height constrains the 11L box was picked for this project

Here is the link for those who have the luxury of space to pick the ideal box for your sump. http://www.ikea.com/...0885#/10180939/

The current online picture is opaque but they have a new colour which is black. Good for reducing light escaping into sump tank which will discourage unnecessary algae growth in sump and in skimmer body, which many of us don't really want

post-1286-0-68251100-1311431076_thumb.jppost-1286-0-14755200-1311431095_thumb.jp

The size of the opening depends on the light fixtures that you are going to use. For me an opening was cut at the lid to fit in a 1 feet aquazonic fixture, but if you guys have spare lights lying around collecting dust pls do reuse them. E.g clip on lamp or LED fixture or spare 2ft fixture.

post-1286-0-29256700-1311432133_thumb.jp

Got 2 PVC tank connectors from the hardware shop near petmart, if you know any other place that sells something similar please do go where its most convenient for you. This tank connector comes with rubber gasket which is fantastic. Bought the smallest that they have, which is about 19mm

post-1286-0-35878300-1311431153_thumb.jppost-1286-0-16932900-1311431161_thumb.jp

Drill holes anywhere on the SAMLA box that you would like the water to enter and to be drained, for me i placed both on the same side.

post-1286-0-61804900-1311436898_thumb.jp

Final result of my mini DIY refugium placed on top of my sump tank, not really fantastic but still need to fine tune this DIY refugium. Especially the gurgling sound and the loose cheato that will some how get into your sump tank

post-1286-0-16682500-1311436987_thumb.jp

This DIY refugium is open for improvements. Feel free to pass your comments and will post bi-monthly results. Hope this will help and benefit the reefing community.

:welldone: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Can show the inside of the Refugium?

Nothing to show just some chaetomorpha algae inside.

Well done Jeremy! With this, do you still use the algae scrubber?

Never used an ats for the current tank, but I think it's a good alternative for nutrient export.

Oh, They come in black color now, it is cool...

Yup,

If you use a strong pump it will cause the chaeto to tumble regardless where the inlet is placed. One point to note is that if the inlet is placed at the base, when the pump is off the water in the box would be totally drained.

• SRC Member

Thanks. Noted.

With regards to "if the inlet is placed at the base, when the pump is off the water in the box would be totally drained.", a one-way valve may mitigate that problem.

Hey Jeremy, do you think it can be improved by:

1) place the inlet and outlet apart on opposite ends?

2) add a filter/net at the outlet to prevent chaeto/algae from back-flowing.

Btw what kind of macroalgae do u put inside?

Super idea... I'm thinking of doing one for my tank too. :) perhaps recycle some spare parts.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Hey Jeremy, do you think it can be improved by:

1) place the inlet and outlet apart on opposite ends?

2) add a filter/net at the outlet to prevent chaeto/algae from back-flowing.

Btw what kind of macroalgae do u put inside?

Super idea... I'm thinking of doing one for my tank too. :) perhaps recycle some spare parts.

Placing the inlet and outlet at opposite ends is possible, provided you have the space. Placement of the inlet and outlet varies from individual reefer. For me i placed both at the same place is because of my sump layout.

Placing filter wool at the outlet is possible, but monitor the situation as any blockage will cause slow drainage at the outlet thus flooding your box and your sump area.

I did place some filter wool at the outlet but due to the slow drainage, the box filled up to the brim pretty fast. Instead i used some fine fabric mesh to filter any stray chaeto.

The macro algae i'm using are chaeto.

Thanks. Noted.

With regards to "if the inlet is placed at the base, when the pump is off the water in the box would be totally drained.", a one-way valve may mitigate that problem.

That's one possible idea, if you guys have luxury of space go ahead with it.

• SRC Member

Placing the inlet and outlet at opposite ends is possible, provided you have the space. Placement of the inlet and outlet varies from individual reefer. For me i placed both at the same place is because of my sump layout.

Placing filter wool at the outlet is possible, but monitor the situation as any blockage will cause slow drainage at the outlet thus flooding your box and your sump area.

I did place some filter wool at the outlet but due to the slow drainage, the box filled up to the brim pretty fast. Instead i used some fine fabric mesh to filter any stray chaeto.

The macro algae i'm using are chaeto.

Just a suggestion, with regards to having the inlet and outlet on the same side, perhaps adding a hose after the inlet so that water exit from the other side of the tub can encourage water to pass thru the chaeto before exiting back to the sump.

• SRC Member

if you have the outlet at the base but have say a pvc pipe 3 inch long screwed standing vertically at the outlet (inside the tank), the refugium will still retain 3 inch of water level in case of pump failure.

Hi,

Is the refugium sitting on the sump tank? I think there a risk that the sump tank may not be able to sustain the weight of the refugium. When the refugium is filled with water, the weight of the refugium can be quite high. And if the refugium is not resting evenly on the sump tank, then the pressure acting on certain points of the sump tank can be quite high. Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

:)

• 2 months later...

Here is an update of my cheato box or the mini refrugium. After 3 mths running it, i must say cheato growth is unbelievable.

From a fist size to a 1ft x 0.5ft x 2 inch ht cheato, it even grew to e shape of the box.

Pictures

Before

post-1286-0-63424800-1317463023_thumb.jp

After

post-1286-0-13627700-1317462918_thumb.jp

Plastic pincer for size comparison

post-1286-0-89649200-1317463217_thumb.jp