Eheim filter for Marine....

hi, i believe canister filters are fine for nitrification. (cultivating bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites.) works for me.

I have been using a 2022 canister for the last 6 months, but found it tiring to do water changes weekly to export nitrates, so revamped system to include intank DSB. hope it works for me soon.

if you have a fish only tank, canister filters might be ok for a start, until you find it too tiring to water changes, can find other alternatives.. B)

Hi,

According to the LFS, 221X series of filter (i.e., 2213, 2215, 2217) are more suitable for marine tank. The 2nd most ex-LFS and HarXXXX are using them.

But if you read some marine books, cansister filters are out. So are the experts here are not in favour of canister filter

Due to a leaking pipe (to my sump), i'm using 2215 for my 4ft tank (suppose to be undersize). But water quality seems to be ok (nitrite, nitrate and ammonia). May be the 45kg live rocks that I put into the tank are doing their job well.

Just my 2cts.

• SRC Member

i do recommend going for 2227 or 2229 for marine if u have to use a canister.. they have a column for wet/dry fitlration

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

yes.. but they are ex.. for instance, 2229 RRP is at $380+++... u can try Qianhu...or ask petmart to bring in for u.. they are available.. but hardly found in LFS.. due to the demand...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
I've not really figured out the sump thingie!

Went to Lfs and was quoted $1.8k for 3ft tank, cabinet and sump... expensive?

Where? Rainbow?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I started on my 4X2X2 for over 18 months on a model 2028 with undergravel and DSB. Till today, everything is fine. However, I change the subtracts in the canister to include ceramic-rings, coral chips, Seagel, polyfilter and filter wool. Nitrite is almost zero. Coral and fish all doing well.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• 8 months later...
The problem is I cannot figure how the sump works! Pai Sei... me not very technically inclined :P All the piping, valves, powerheads confuse me :blink: hehe....

I understand how you feel. I'm also hunting around for a new four feet tank with cabinet and sump. and as usual, working on a horribly tight budget.

want to go tank hunting together? maybe can get a better deal if we buy together or something (=