New reefing adventure!

amused

Hi Bro,

The pump comes with a 1 year warranty but RD gives another year warranty. You can also choose to bump the warranty to 5 years for slightly less than 300 :)

Sound good. So does that mean if the pump spoil during the warranty, RD will replace you a new pump or they just send back pump back to their factory for repair and T-loan you another brand.

: )

Sound good. So does that mean if the pump spoil during the warranty, RD will replace you a new pump or they just send back pump back to their factory for repair and T-loan you another brand.

: )

I think it is better that you ask them for the exact terms of their warranty. From what I understand, so far no one has sent in their unit yet :)

• SRC Member

Bro, at 12mm rimless I would prefer not to run waves on your tank. (call me kiasee, but coming home to a flooded living room is a nightmare). I think your controller has random mode, so that should work out pretty well for you.

My best guess is that you can set your min. and max speeds from 3-10x sump turnover rates so you can maintain a decent turnover rate from your sump. Have to do abit of 'agaration' on your headloss and estimate return flow based on the charts. I'm guessing with trial and error you will find your tank's sweet spot. :thumbsup:

For water circulation, really depends on how much turnover u want in your tank and what sort of corals you will be getting. Looking forward to your setup pics for now!

Bro, at 12mm rimless I would prefer not to run waves on your tank. (call me kiasee, but coming home to a flooded living room is a nightmare). I think your controller has random mode, so that should work out pretty well for you.

My best guess is that you can set your min. and max speeds from 3-10x sump turnover rates so you can maintain a decent turnover rate from your sump. Have to do abit of 'agaration' on your headloss and estimate return flow based on the charts. I'm guessing with trial and error you will find your tank's sweet spot. :thumbsup:

For water circulation, really depends on how much turnover u want in your tank and what sort of corals you will be getting. Looking forward to your setup pics for now!

Thanks for the advise bro! Yup will not being running waves for my tank...really really don't want any flooding :) I think I will have to get more advise on the circulation once I have the pump up and running.

Oh yah do you think it makes sense to vary the rate of the return pump?

• SRC Supporter

I am glad that you choose the Abyzz pump over the new RD III . Wise move thumbsup.gif RD give excellent after sales support, so you need worry too much .

Perhaps you can consider using another smaller size return pump ? You would then able to play around with the various wave effect while maintaining the flow , having 2 return pump will also act as a safeguard in case one broke down for repair.dry.gif

I am glad that you choose the Abyzz pump over the new RD III . Wise move thumbsup.gif RD give excellent after sales support, so you need worry too much .

Perhaps you can consider using another smaller size return pump ? You would then able to play around with the various wave effect while maintaining the flow , having 2 return pump will also act as a safeguard in case one broke down for repair.dry.gif

Hi boss,

Thanks for your advise...was thinking of adding a 1262 initially but not sure how the piping will work. I have 2 x 30mm returns from the sump but the Abyzz has a 40mm outlet so the plan was to T-off the 40mm into the two 30mm. You have any suggestions how I can fit in the second return, because that will be the ideal setup :)

You can consider having 2 or 3 outlet for your return ? The second outlet can "T " off to your CR as well if you need one, which is what i did previously.

Finally...sump coming tonight! :) but piping might not take place <_< will take this chance to ask tank maker if pump output can T off 3 outlets :)

Piping almost done! left durso and a couple more T-offs/valves to fit :) But good enough to conduct a leak test in a couple of days :yahoo:

post-6875-0-82827700-1317827956_thumb.jp

Return pump: 40mm T-off to 2 25mm, tank maker say cannot T-off more than 2

post-6875-0-81560200-1317827968_thumb.jppost-6875-0-30683200-1317827985_thumb.jppost-6875-0-34390100-1317828005_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-24038500-1317828018_thumb.jp

From overflow to refugium - have to add a valve to control flow

post-6875-0-10338000-1317828033_thumb.jppost-6875-0-93765000-1317828065_thumb.jp

Titanium coil and temp contoler+probe

Also the tank has been strengthened thanks to the advise given by concerned and experienced reefers here :ThanxSmiley:

awesome tank bro... !!!

looking forward to your tank comissioning day....

camping here....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Hey bro,

Read through your tank thread thoroughly and realized your tank is 4.5 x2.5x1.7, rimless, no bracing (i cannot see any bracing from your photos) and your tank glass thickness is 12mm only?

My tank is a rimless 2 feet cube. There are tank makers that I spoke to who REFUSED to build it with 10mm glass. They insist on making it with 12mm ONLY. There must be a reason why they are insistent on using 12mm glass.

Now yours is a 4.5 x 2.5 x 1.7 tank. I am no expert but logically speaking, 12mm seems to be under catered. It might be ok for the short term but it could be questionable for the long term. The reccommended safety factor is 4 for marine tanks. you might want to check with your tank maker what is your tank safety factor... if it is below 3 or 2.5, then you might really want to consider enforcing the tank with bracing and get the safety factor up to 3+. would also suggest you give a call to N30, sgbros, CR Aquarium, Marine Life and hear what they say about 12mm thickness for a tank your size. Always better to be safe now than be sorry later.

I also noticed that your tank was delivered on 26 sept. then sump was delivered later and then piping works yet to be completed....... been almost 2 weeks....

must be hard to endure..... I only know of 1 tank maker in this forum, that delivers tank like this........ Hope all turns up well for your tank and all the best bro !

Keep us posted.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

looking good amused.. LOOKING good.. closely following as well .... you have allot of patience to wait for things to be delivered slowly.. for me it was all delivered and done within 2 days.

To have things half done in my living space simply will not do. Kudos to you... I hope you will practice the same amount of patience when it comes to the cycling and then the stocking. :)

GOOD LUCK! :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Hey bro,

Read through your tank thread thoroughly and realized your tank is 4.5 x2.5x1.7, rimless, no bracing (i cannot see any bracing from your photos) and your tank glass thickness is 12mm only?

My tank is a rimless 2 feet cube. There are tank makers that I spoke to who REFUSED to build it with 10mm glass. They insist on making it with 12mm ONLY. There must be a reason why they are insistent on using 12mm glass.

Now yours is a 4.5 x 2.5 x 1.7 tank. I am no expert but logically speaking, 12mm seems to be under catered. It might be ok for the short term but it could be questionable for the long term. The reccommended safety factor is 4 for marine tanks. you might want to check with your tank maker what is your tank safety factor... if it is below 3 or 2.5, then you might really want to consider enforcing the tank with bracing and get the safety factor up to 3+. would also suggest you give a call to N30, sgbros, CR Aquarium, Marine Life and hear what they say about 12mm thickness for a tank your size. Always better to be safe now than be sorry later.

I also noticed that your tank was delivered on 26 sept. then sump was delivered later and then piping works yet to be completed....... been almost 2 weeks....

must be hard to endure..... I only know of 1 tank maker in this forum, that delivers tank like this........ Hope all turns up well for your tank and all the best bro !

Keep us posted.....

Hey bro,

Thank you for taking time to voice your concerns...really appreciate it! :friends: This safety issue has also been bothering me and so will advise from concerned and experienced reefers such as yourself, I managed to get a good friend to come and help me enforce the tank with a bottom bracing :)

I hope to be able to post pictures of water flowing through the system soon!

looking good amused.. LOOKING good.. closely following as well .... you have allot of patience to wait for things to be delivered slowly.. for me it was all delivered and done within 2 days.

To have things half done in my living space simply will not do. Kudos to you... I hope you will practice the same amount of patience when it comes to the cycling and then the stocking. :)

GOOD LUCK! :)

Thanks Desi :) I simply love your tank! really hope to learn more from you and the others here, and will be glad if my tank looks remotely as good as yours in the many months to come!

• SRC Member

hey amused, how's the tank? Is it up and running? EVerything done?

Your first pic of the undone tank was 26th september and now it's already 13th October.. that's 18 days hence!

Cycling time?

Also the big kick ###### Deltec skimmer.. how is that running? TOns of bubbles? :)

update pls :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

Amused > May I sugg to you to install ball valves in the pipe lines. These valves will come handy for any changes in the future as they allow you to shut off the flow without affecting other parts of the pipe line.

hey amused, how's the tank? Is it up and running? EVerything done?

Your first pic of the undone tank was 26th september and now it's already 13th October.. that's 18 days hence!

Cycling time?

Also the big kick ###### Deltec skimmer.. how is that running? TOns of bubbles? :)

update pls :)

Hi desideria,

I filled up the tank with water about 1 week back...will try and upload some pics soon :)

However it sounds like the Niagara Falls is running through my living room! can't wait for the piping to be completed :peace:

My skimmer is not here yet, supposed to be installed tomorrow together with the rest of the pipings.

Also I tried to run my pump at 100% but was only able to reach around 82%...will try again once all the 3x50mm returns are commissioned :) and also can't tell if the pump is silent cos all I can hear is the gushing water which is angering my wife :(

Can't wait for tomorrow to come! will keep you posted :)

Also started cycling :)

First 5 prawns entered water on Monday...ran some tests yesterday and results as follows:

Ammonia undetectable

Nitrite around 0.02

Nitrate around 4ppm

Does this mean the cycle is reaching final phase? Isn't it a little quick? (I added 1 vial of BioDigest)

With some advise from fellow reefers I will cycle longer :) will be adding 5 more prawns tonight...the ones I added earlier are almost gone.

Any more advise from experienced reefers here? :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

Also started cycling :)

First 5 prawns entered water on Monday...ran some tests yesterday and results as follows:

Ammonia undetectable

Nitrite around 0.02

Nitrate around 4ppm

Does this mean the cycle is reaching final phase? Isn't it a little quick? (I added 1 vial of BioDigest)

With some advise from fellow reefers I will cycle longer :) will be adding 5 more prawns tonight...the ones I added earlier are almost gone.

Any more advise from experienced reefers here? :ThanxSmiley:

Amused - Got to cycle with rocks lah...

Oh I just want to thank Ken from MadPetz! Ken if you are reading this...really wanna thank you for going out of your way to help me store my LRs for so much longer than intended!

Very grateful and hope there will be more and more great folks like you in this hobby that are so willing to help newbies like me have the best reefing experience possible :ThanxSmiley: :ThanxSmiley: :ThanxSmiley:

Moving right along...some scaping updates. Really struggled with this one while making a huge mess in the living room :(

post-6875-0-62796900-1318601182_thumb.jp post-6875-0-61030700-1318601203_thumb.jp post-6875-0-68475400-1318601256_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-61712600-1318601150_thumb.jp post-6875-0-87291500-1318601134_thumb.jp post-6875-0-37166200-1318601093_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-16379000-1318601166_thumb.jp