New reefing adventure!

amused

Hi All,

After casting all laziness aside, I have decided to start a tank thread to document my new adventure into reefing, and more importantly to get valuable feedback from all the gurus here should I be making any bad decisions in this journey :)

A Brief History...

About 5 years back I first started this hobby with a 4x2.5x2.5 foot tank that I bought second hand from a reefer here. In a nutshell, after a couple of major leaks, my then gf strongly suggested that I decom the tank. So with a heavy heart I gave up...

Recently, I started a pico tank in my office so CO to avoid evoking bad memories my wife had with my previous reefing mishaps.

After about a year with my pico tank I finally couldn't resist the urge to start up a tank back home! So with much convincing that I will be taking more precautionary measures to avoid my past mistakes, CO finally agreed to give me one more chance, so here I am! :)

Tank Specs

Tank dimensions are 4.5ft (L) 2.5ft (W) 20 inch (H). Initially planned for width to be 2ft but changed my mind at the last minute so asked tank maker to delay starting work on the take while we re-confirm the design :)

3 panel crystal glass (tank will be a partition)

Black silicon, 12mm glass

Sump dimensions 4.5ft (L) 1.5ft (W) 16in/18in (H) - height still not confirmed yet

Equipment

Return pump - not decided yet, either 2xEheim 1264 or RD 12k (would really appreciate some advise on this)

Skimmer - Deltec TC 3070s

Wavemaker - Vortech MP40 or Tunze TS24 (also undecided)

Chiller - JBJ 1/3HP

Lighting - 2xLumenAqua Ultra Brite

Optional Items

Profilux 3 ex

Livestock

AT :)

Here are some very rough sketches of the tank design...can't do perspective drawing to save my life so all I did so far were top down views. If I can find some time will try out Google sketch :)

post-6875-0-04723500-1312643514_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-24775300-1312643536_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-33268900-1312643557_thumb.jp

:groupwavereversed: another interesting tank thread to read...... topic tracked, radar locked !

Great planning you seem to have...and yeah we all have our fair share of squabbling with our partners over this hobby ........ EXCEPT for Bro Kikobananas (**envy envy)

Looking forward to your updates.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Looks like a nice big build! Lots of thought and research went into the planning.

Definitely following this thread... Few questions to ask:

Is the 1/3hp sufficient? Is it advisable to have the QT linked to main tank?

And boy, 3'++, 4' QT is no joke!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Hi Bro Jacky and Wilson,

Thanks for the quick feedback! (really encouraging to a newbie)

Attached are more pictures of the sump and QT.

For the QT, the plan is not for it to be permanent...while the tank is still being established (as in adding LS and corals), it will function mainly as a QT and will be cut off from the main tank. There will be union valves on the pipes leading to and from the main tank's sump.

Once the stocking diminishes (if this is even possible), will either turn this portion into a water changing reservoir, a extended refugium or something else :) What do you guys think?

Also with regards to the chiller, I'm also not sure if it can support the tank but I have some constraints: I don't have the option of installing a condenser with coil and a 1 HP chiller is a little too big. I actually bought a 2nd hand Hailer 1HP, do you think that might be better? if so will have to find some way to squeeze it into the cabinet.

Oh yah and the sump design was inspired by bro Ken from Madpetz :)

post-6875-0-34811400-1312646135_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-01791800-1312646161_thumb.jp

Surely you can't be considered a newbie, given the plans here, it's very much an expert setup!

I like the sump design! Maybe can consider put the condenser into the kitchen (where u need to dry clothes etc or a balcony if u have one.)

Forgot to ask: guess it's going to be a mixed reef with SPS huh?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Surely you can't be considered a newbie, given the plans here, it's very much an expert setup!

I like the sump design! Maybe can consider put the condenser into the kitchen (where u need to dry clothes etc or a balcony if u have one.)

Forgot to ask: guess it's going to be a mixed reef with SPS huh?

Thanks bro, honored that you like the setup :) consider myself new cos I have yet to maintain a good clean healthy thank...really hope to achieve a certain level of success with this tank.

I have tried suggesting to CO to have the condenser in the kitchen but it's too far from where the tank will be and she really doesn't want such extensive plumbing...maybe bro Kikobananas can share how he gets partner support for the hobby!

Yah forgot to state my 'plans'

In an ideal and disciplined world of reefing, I hope to keep a fish only setup for at least 8-12 months, and if there is good progress in my reefing skills then I might venture into SPS

Another Reefing couple here is Desi and ketchup. They both have a fantastic setup as well. Recently just changed their 1/4 jbj to a compressor. With no regrets at all!

Actually I've been considering an upgrade for the longest time and the only show-stopper has been the chiller. Like you, I'm unable to have it in the kitchen and I don't have a balcony. So I'm having to live hot air within the living room. Which also means, no upgrading of tank till we upgrade the home.

I guess your FOWLR plan does explain the size of your QT!

Btw yes, the QT, once decommissioned, can be used to house frags! Or possibly seahorses? Or breed cleaner shrimps as reef food? many things you do.

Good luck and all the best!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Btw yes, the QT, once decommissioned, can be used to house frags! Or possibly seahorses? Or breed cleaner shrimps as reef food? many things you do.

Wow...didn't realize there were so many options for the 'QT', really need to learn more from you guys on what can be done! :)

Also, some pics of the pico at my office. Really quite simple, don't have much time to do play around with the tanks...started off with an iq3 then 'upgraded' to an iq5 which I bought from another reefer here :)

The octo has really outgrown the tiny tank, will have to donate it if my new tank is not up and running in time...so much for keeping FOWLR

Have more videos than pictures, will see if I can post some of the videos soon :)

post-6875-0-19692100-1312698293_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-38272800-1312698327_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-59561700-1312698347_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-38121900-1312698362_thumb.jp

Looks like a nice big build! Lots of thought and research went into the planning.

Definitely following this thread... Few questions to ask:

Is the 1/3hp sufficient? Is it advisable to have the QT linked to main tank?

And boy, 3'++, 4' QT is no joke!

NIce and comprehensive ideas you have there!

+1 to Bro Wilson's doubt.

YOu might want to re-consider the location of the chiller fan output, unless you wana sauna your legs while enjoying the tank. The heat might also contribute to the Ambient Temp of the atmosphere, making the Chiller work harder than before.

NIce and comprehensive ideas you have there!

+1 to Bro Wilson's doubt.

YOu might want to re-consider the location of the chiller fan output, unless you wana sauna your legs while enjoying the tank. The heat might also contribute to the Ambient Temp of the atmosphere, making the Chiller work harder than before.

Thanks Bro!

Yah this chiller thing has been bothering me quite a bit...gonna try and persuade the Mrs to install a compressor. I stay in a HDB, do you know if we can install a compressor beside an existing aircon compressor?

thanks again for all the advise :)

There's actually quite a few reefers here uses Compressor. You may checkout HM's post. :)

If compressor is out of the question, perhaps, 1/2HP would be more appropiate for your impressive design.

Yah I checked out HM's post but he didn't mention where he placed his compressor, shall go ask him :)

I also saw your tank, looks great! I especially like the cushion you put on the cabinet. can you share with me who made it for you and the cost?

Thanks bro!

Haha, when i renovate the house, i got the carpenter to lump that in right beside my door.

for me to sit while putting my shoes on, and also as a secondary stand to reach inside my tank!

If im not wrong, it cost around 200~300. Actually figure, not so share though.

If i got more funds, i will definity design my QT right beside my tank, just like yours!

Wow.. you got a personal coffee making on your table ? Really envy you Keke..

It;s another awesome tank in the making here, feel free to check with me on your setup if i can help you with anything. I placed my compressor just beside my tank due to space constraint, and i do not want to drill a hole through the mirror on the other side of my wall to place the compressor outside. But frankly, the heat from the compressor is almost the same from my old artica chiller, so i have no complaint. dry.gif

Thanks Bro!

Yah this chiller thing has been bothering me quite a bit...gonna try and persuade the Mrs to install a compressor. I stay in a HDB, do you know if we can install a compressor beside an existing aircon compressor?

thanks again for all the advise :)

hi bro, yes u can, provided ur air con ledge gt enugh space to put another compressor...tats wat i did for mine

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

Wow... looks like a massive project is in the works! Will be camping here for updates.

Thanks Bro Peacemaker :)

It will be quite a while before the tank can be completed, hopefully a month once the design is confirmed. Supposed to meet with the tank maker tomorrow to finalize the details.

But the skimmer will only arrive in about 6 weeks. Is it alright to cycle without the skimmer?

cheers!

Wow.. you got a personal coffee making on your table ? Really envy you Keke..

It;s another awesome tank in the making here, feel free to check with me on your setup if i can help you with anything. I placed my compressor just beside my tank due to space constraint, and i do not want to drill a hole through the mirror on the other side of my wall to place the compressor outside. But frankly, the heat from the compressor is almost the same from my old artica chiller, so i have no complaint. dry.gif

Thanks bro! yah really need the coffee shots :(

Really appreciate your offer for help and advise! will be needing it :) hopefully in exchange I can offer some coffee!

Oh yah...actually I am the one who bought your LED light sets :)

• SRC Member

Thanks Bro Peacemaker :)

It will be quite a while before the tank can be completed, hopefully a month once the design is confirmed. Supposed to meet with the tank maker tomorrow to finalize the details.

But the skimmer will only arrive in about 6 weeks. Is it alright to cycle without the skimmer?

cheers!

Not a must to cycle with the skimmer, so you can proceed with cycling. Don't need to extend your waiting time, ya'know? ^_^

Oh cool! thanks bro, can share with me who you got to setup your compressor?

sure no prob bro!! he is one of my reno contractor...pm u liao :)

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

Bro, the contractor can always build a rack to hse yr new compressor above the existing one if needs be. For the installation of compressor, all aircon installation contractor can do it but the problem is whether they know where to get ti or coated copper coil and install ext. Thermostat with controller and interface with the compressor. Lastly, they want to take on this job as they scare of loose end works. Cheers.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler