KELVINx3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

it' s not a matter of how.. it's a matter whether they want to eat or not.. that's why sometimes when getting fishes, it's best to throw in some pellets and see whether the fish is actively eating.. it makes it easier.

however if the fish is not eating, one of the ways could be to soak the pellets in a small bowl of your tank water and drop in a few drops of Garlic Guard ( which you can get ...from most LFS.. I usually buy Kent Marine but there are other brands) and then throw the whole thing into the tank.. hopefully your fishes will eat. Sometimes despite a reefers best efforts, the fishes refuse to eat and sadly pass on.

PE Mysis is a brand of mysis ( not the regular ones) which is .. well more expensive .. about $15 a slab rather than $1.50-$2 a slab for the regular ones. You can check out the madpetz website, they stock it.

http://www.madpetz.com.sg/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=378

good luck

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

here's what my past experience with my current powder blue.

It got ich (affected my other fishes) after a week or so after i got it.

I bought UV (coralife) light

Soak food with garlic guard before feeding

around 30 bottles of 1.5l or distilled water, gradually lowering the salinity, recommended for hypo salinity is till a SG1.009. For me, mine was around SG1.015.

4 weeks later, my powder is cleared off from ich as well as it's house mates and there wasn't any casualty.

Quite a hassle but it's worthwhile to me.

Alternatively, you can catch all your fishes, under the least amount of stress, and place them into a smaller tank to better perform the hypo. Leave your main tank free of fishes for a period of time for the ich to die off without host.

*clear ur corals to another holding tank until your hypo procedure is done.

pico pico pico.

• SRC Member

here's what my past experience with my current powder blue.

It got ich (affected my other fishes) after a week or so after i got it.

I bought UV (coralife) light

Soak food with garlic guard before feeding

around 30 bottles of 1.5l or distilled water, gradually lowering the salinity, recommended for hypo salinity is till a SG1.009. For me, mine was around SG1.015.

4 weeks later, my powder is cleared off from ich as well as it's house mates and there wasn't any casualty.

Quite a hassle but it's worthwhile to me.

Alternatively, you can catch all your fishes, under the least amount of stress, and place them into a smaller tank to better perform the hypo. Leave your main tank free of fishes for a period of time for the ich to die off without host.

*clear ur corals to another holding tank until your hypo procedure is done.

sorry double posting again. about soaking the food. you soak the pallets?

• SRC Member

you can soak anything in garlic guard.. pallets, flakes,. mysis, brine,.. soak for a few mins and throw in if you wish..... :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

thanks desideria. another qns! about using distilled water to drop the salinity level. can i like not catch my fishes out? i'll do it on my display tank? will it affect my corals? or it's a must i must remove my corals?

• SRC Member

if you are doing hypo, it will affect your corals as others have mentioned in prior posts...... please do hypo in a seperate tank .. catch your fishes out and do it if you intend to go down this route.. otherwise remove your corals and put THEM in a seperate holding tank and Hypo your main tank... it's really your choice. Just make sure you can maintain 2 setups at the same time.

Otherwise throw in food and hope they eat cause as Ich is FOREVER present in the tank, no matter what steps you take unless you have a full proof seperate QT setup system...but that may not eliminate the threat of Ich or velvet. FIshes just have to fight it off.

good luck

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

if you are doing hypo, it will affect your corals as others have mentioned in prior posts...... please do hypo in a seperate tank .. catch your fishes out and do it if you intend to go down this route.. otherwise remove your corals and put THEM in a seperate holding tank and Hypo your main tank... it's really your choice. Just make sure you can maintain 2 setups at the same time.

Otherwise throw in food and hope they eat cause as Ich is FOREVER present in the tank, no matter what steps you take unless you have a full proof seperate QT setup system...but that may not eliminate the threat of Ich or velvet. FIshes just have to fight it off.

good luck

thank you! i was thinking of removing corals instead. easier. cause i dont want to scare my fishes haha. QT setup not 100% ich and velvet proof. well hope my fish fight them off!

Sorry, typed too fast.

tank empty but lesson learnt. Take the time to review what went wrong and slowly start again. Of course, if you have any doubts, feel free to post here, I'm sure many people here are willing to help or advise.

Don't give up !

• SRC Member

Bro. Don be dishearten. Move on. Dun giv up. Concentrate on ur coral. Stop buyin powder serie tang for now. Once ur tank is stable n u learn n gain expirience, u can alway get ur pbt back. Cheers bro...

Dear Kelvin.

Fish dying is part and parcel of reefing. Even the experts/experienced suffer casualty. Quite a tall order for beginner/new setup to keep powder series..

To give up now, would mean you will never return to this hobby. However, if you can learn from this unfortunate episode and turn things around, then it'll be an achievement.

In order to help you succeed, why not start by posting your tank thread, parameters, specifications, full equipment, maintenance regime and possibly what livestocks you want in future... Pictures of ur setup would be helpful...

In the mean time, keep your head up! Read and learn more, you will realize that it's really not that difficult.

TGIF!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

alrights. basically i've step into this hbby for 9months i think. first batch of fish is awesome till. a sudden outbreak of ich. slowly 1 by 1 gone till now ;x cant survive haha. does too much corals affect it? hmm