Sign in to follow this  
magical26

Drop-In Coil (Copper or Titanium)

Hi reefers

I am about to set up a drop-in coil to replace my existing chiller and have a few questions. Hopefully all the experience reefers can help enlighten me by sharing their knowledge. Thanks in advance.

1. Copper or Titanium? I heard copper might risk poisoning your tank, ever happen to anyone here? Heard titanium is slower in cooling but safer, is it a huge difference (eg, copper coil takes 20min but titanium takes 40min)?

2. Which brand is recommended? (Daikin, Mitsubishi, Starmex, etc)

3. What is the price range for a complete drop-in coil set up for Copper coil? and for Titanium coil? (eg, 1.4k to 1.9k for copper, 2k to 3k for titanium??)

4. What is the recommended HP for maybe a 7-8 footer tank?

Hope a kind fellow reefer can enlighten me. Thanks so much...

Go for titanium if budget allows. Brands, depends on yr trust. Mitsubishi, Panasonic, daikin, etc are good. For the HP, it also depends on yr coil size and distance of compressor. Advice is best go to experienced installer. All the best.

+1 on titanium coil.

I ordered and customised my own dimension for 120-130 shipped from

" item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.5.fN1pwN&id=20546388429 "

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

JH, you also bought your mitsubishi 1hp compressor less than $350 from malaysia right? And temperature controller less than $40 from an online site right?

I think you can become professional installer too. Good margin.

Cheers,

James

Thanks everyone for sharing.

+1 on titanium coil.
I ordered and customised my own dimension for 120-130 shipped from
" item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.5.fN1pwN&id=20546388429 "

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Bro 'youdontknowme', kind enough to guide me on a cost-saving DIY project? Would need your guidance... :nc:

Go for titanium if budget allows. Brands, depends on yr trust. Mitsubishi, Panasonic, daikin, etc are good. For the HP, it also depends on yr coil size and distance of compressor. Advice is best go to experienced installer. All the best.

Bro 'Solo77', so you mean if the compressor is next to your tank, it will cool it faster than a compressor located further away at the balcony? Is that a correct assumption?

Any recommended installer for this?

Can any bro help me on questions 3 & 4 that i first posted? Much appreciated :thanks:

I also heard before that you cannot use copper coil at all, since it will poison your tank. Is it true ?

I also heard before that you cannot use copper coil at all, since it will poison your tank. Is it true ?

True. But the coil reefers using is insulated copper coil .