suggestion!

SeaMarine

I have stated my reasons before why I think chatrooms don't really work.

Also... a lot of crap goes on in chatrooms and its does take up bandwidth one way or another. Also I rather newbies seek advice from the threads here rather than a transient atmosphere like a chatroom where you can't know if you're getting good advice or not and even properly verify who you're chatting with. At least in this forum, things get moderated.

Besides, the responses here come thick and fast... I am not going to hang around in a chatroom all day... :)

wan,Nov 12 2003, 09:13 AM] anyway go irc galaxynet and #reefers. u should be able to find spider, me barra and a few there.

I din try IRC for veri long liao..

is it still in..? now dun have VRC..? (video relay chat??)

no need to talk.. can scratch balls n chat.. but I can't go

topless like I am now.. later some gals can't take it..

want cyber..

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

There's one in Delphiforum and happen that the founder had made me the moderator, you can go there and click on the "Reef talk" on the bottom left.

But you'll have to toggle between here and there as the tread are here and the chat are there.. not a good idea but anyway just a suggestion. Hope AT don't get mad at me :P

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgreef/start

Yeah, I was informed of this 'sgreef' site that came up during the last week-long downtime.

Interesting site... allowing ###### toys to be advertised to minors. ;) Who's the founder anyway?

• SRC Member

if there is a chatroom, i feel that the questions asked would be asked again and again and you can't refer back to the questions like how u can refer back to threads here... :rolleyes:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

hahah... not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouths... :P

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

maybe we can host our own chat room and you link the site to it???

Chat room feels more interactive, and you'll get immediate responses. and ppl can just hang and chat abt anything! get to know each other better etc. organising last minute club outings too! To me it's a great idea. But seems like all u ppl are against it :huh::o:(:eyeblur::cry:

Live and Let Live

Chatrooms die after a while. Mostly newbies will go in and chat, talk nonsense and usually exchange rubbish info. I rather 'chats' be done as forum postings... so we can help spot mistakes, give better advice, add on stuff etc. And delete away nonsense. Plus the info will be there for searches to be done. Like I said, if you want to do your own chat channel, by all means... but I won't be there.. and so won't the majority of experienced reefers, IMO.

I agreed with AT that chat room normally looses it purposes after a while and sometime you just may not get a good answer out of it when you most need one. I think having a forum concept for SRC has already serve up to it purposes and has meet it key objectives. That’s:

1. Educate the new hobbyist to better understand the complexities and time/monetary efforts needed to properly setup, sustain and prosper his marine aquaria.

2. Teach hobbyists that knowledge leads to less mistakes made and creates savings in money, time costs, personal safety (yes, the marine hobby is dangerous in many ways).

3. Create the appreciation for all marine life and the need to be conscientious about how we create the perfect environment for our marine pets in terms of inter-species compatibility, environmental and feeding requirements and to not support the trade in well-proven species of hard-to-sustain species. We can help to save and protect livestock through our selection and buying patterns.

4. Use the hobby to teach our friends on the fragility of marine life and importance of keeping our seas and oceans free of over-exploitation and pollution.

As for setting up of a chat room to expand it services beyond the scope of the objective (e.g. allows other to discuss anything not related to reefs keeping). Time, resources and responsibility will be something that SRC will have to seriously look into to ensure it does not deviate and continue to serve up to it purposes. Even if SRC is to associate an IRC to it site but without any proper management, any negative implication may reflect upon SRC indirectly and I believe AT is well aware of this.

I am a newbie and a working adult. If I need some help or advice from people like AT, we just have to give them sometime to react since this is rather a hobby for most of us than full time job.

Today, I see the forum has serves it main purposes and acts as a huge archive with ready information for all new reefers. Well, a good example will be people like me who have gain a lot from this site and it is professionally managed.

Thanks, Paullokekk!

You nailed it right on the head! :)

And thank you for your compliment. Hope SRC will benefit and unite all the marine hobbyists in Singapore for all time to come... :D