How to add sand after cyling?

• SRC Member

Hi all,

So i just started cycling my tank with some LR. I bought carib sea ocean direct live sand and i read that i should wait for a few days after adding the LR before adding in the live sand.

I realized that it would be pretty hard not to make a mess when i add in the sand later. Should i remove all the rocks first, then add in the sand (the water will definitely be cloudy to the max). What is the best way to add in the sand with minimal disruption?

Thanks for reading!

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

Hi all,

So i just started cycling my tank with some LR. I bought carib sea ocean direct live sand and i read that i should wait for a few days after adding the LR before adding in the live sand.

I realized that it would be pretty hard not to make a mess when i add in the sand later. Should i remove all the rocks first, then add in the sand (the water will definitely be cloudy to the max). What is the best way to add in the sand with minimal disruption?

Thanks for reading!

If the tank is cycling, I wouldn't care too much about the cloudiness from the sand.

It will settle down after a day or two.

Just remember to lift up the rock above the sand so that minimal rock is buried in the sand.

Above is my opinion.. still learning to reef though.. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

No issue since your tank is still cycling...just pour the live sand in slowly and evenly and remember not to lift up the rock. Don't bother about the cloudy as it will clear within 24 hours.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Off your filtration system. That's to prevent so fine sand being drain down to your filter system.

Remove rock so as to prevent sand all over your rocks unless u dun mind.

After done,u may start to let your water run (on back filter system) in about an hours time. That's to allow sand to settled!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

yea i finally have a good plan on how to go about doing it....cant pour the sand all in, must slowly pour out thru a slit in the bag....lol. thanks all for the advice and input!

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

ok i've poured the sand in. but there's a problem, a sexy shrimp/ 2 bumblebee snails actually had sneaked their way in when i got the LR from another reefer. and now the water is really cloudy. will this kill the shrimp and snails? they've actually been pretty fine for about 3 days now and i just saw the shrimp scavenging on a pellet that i threw in.

since mine is a IOS tank, i turn on the pump to circulate the water after putting in the bio-magnet clarifier that came with the sand. instruction says that the bio-magnet will help clear the water by allowing bacteria to stick on to rock surafes and sand etc. but it has been 4 hrs with no sign of clarity. i am worried about the lil shrimp, should have took him out first but i really have no place to house him temporarily and i thought the clouding wont be as bad.

damn it

• SRC Member

No choice liao bro. Leave it to fate ba.

From my understanding of shrimp,they're prone to dirty water,temp too high will also kill the shrimp.

Water cloudy really not sure but I dun should be ok la anyway I should be awhile only.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

it is indeed a joyous day. the shrimp is still after after a long cloudy day!! LOL.

I did some aquascaping and damn the water clouded up agn, it seems like any slight disturbance of the substrate will send cloud flying all over. this time i am smart enuff to quarantine him in a small container with holes and clip it on the water surface. will return him to his humble abode after the dust settles...AGAIN...

kinda crappy substrate imho....didnt face such problems when i used dry arag the last time. sigh. Carib sea, u listening?

• 1 month later...

All sands will have this problem.. u can wash them before you put in but then u lost all the good stuffs in your livesand so just bear with it. The cloudiness will clear.

Hi Bro, u mean after we bought the live sand, we can straight away put into the tank after we clean the tank. And then follow by the salt water and LR?

Thanks

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Bro, u mean after we bought the live sand, we can straight away put into the tank after we clean the tank. And then follow by the salt water and LR?

Thanks

was eager to see reply on this question ..... but ...

maybe a compromise ba

part wash part RAW :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

The best way to do it, IMO, is like this:-

1. Put a layer of egg crate into the empty tank.

2. Place your live rock onto the egg crates.

3. Pour the sand in

4. Add the sea water (prepared by using salt mix with ro/di water, treated with anti chlorine)

Once this done you can turn on your wavemaker etc.

VOILA!

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• SRC Member

Not a good idea using styrofoam as it floats, and by placing it underwater you will be fighting against boyuancy all the time.

You don't want the piece of styrofoam to suddenly 'uproot' in your tank right? Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

The sheet of styrofoam will be held firmly in place by heck of a lot of live rock so its not going to float. I've seen it done in many set ups and i'm asking if it makes sense to do that because if during the scaping a piece of rock tumbles onto the bare bottom glass panel you could end up cracking the tank. Any views on this?

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

ok i've poured the sand in. but there's a problem, a sexy shrimp/ 2 bumblebee snails actually had sneaked their way in when i got the LR from another reefer. and now the water is really cloudy. will this kill the shrimp and snails? they've actually been pretty fine for about 3 days now and i just saw the shrimp scavenging on a pellet that i threw in.

since mine is a IOS tank, i turn on the pump to circulate the water after putting in the bio-magnet clarifier that came with the sand. instruction says that the bio-magnet will help clear the water by allowing bacteria to stick on to rock surafes and sand etc. but it has been 4 hrs with no sign of clarity. i am worried about the lil shrimp, should have took him out first but i really have no place to house him temporarily and i thought the clouding wont be as bad.

damn it

bro,chk with u,hw does e bio-magnet clarifier look like??isit jzt a liquid to pour in???

i jzt bought 2 pack of the live sand n have yet to open up as yet to prep other stuff...

pls advise..

thk