Nudibranchs attacking my buttons!

• SRC Member

If you have only 1 or 2 rocks of buttons, then i would suggest removing the rocks and dispose them. Leave your tank w/o buttons for a while for the nudibranches to starve to death, then slowly restock checking each new piece for the pesky nudibranchs and doing freshwater dips defore introducing into the main tank..

Above advice was given to me by one of the senior reefers.

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I think it would be a little difficult to spray just the rocks of buttons or manually removing the Nudis. I have some Nudis crawling on most of the other rocks without buttons too. In fact, I have Nudis on the tank glass as well!

Guess I'll have to go AlfaRemeo's way of disposing the buttons and then starving the Nudis.

xiggie, in the pic the Nudis may look nice. But they are actually brown colour not purplish. I think it's the "purple fringing" flaw found in most digital cameras and this pic was cropped from a much bigger photo thus magnifying the flaw. By the way, the Nudis are about 2-3mm only. If you still want them, let me know.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

:)

• SRC Member
If you still have them let me know. Would love to take some from you to get rid of rogue zoanthids on my rocks.  :thanks:

Sure, FuEl. I'm in Pasir Ris and most evenings between 7-8+ I'll be in my parents' place for dinner. You have to let me know a couple of days in advance. But hurry, I need to remove them fast as I don't want the buttons to die in my tank and crash it! But don't look for me if the Nudis attack your other corals!!!! xiggie, let me know too.

• SRC Member
my button was attack by those nubri too..lots of it....

i gave up on it....me just leave the zoanthids alone and treat it like liverocks..

Hi heman,

Is it really safe to leave the buttons in the tank? They will start rotting and decomposing in your tank and cause an ammonia spike right? Hope I'm wrong so that I can leave them in the tank as well. :)

• SRC Member

dip in freshwater and turn/shake the rock in the water for 5 mins and you can see lots of nudi fall off.

great way to kill nudi but a risk to the zoos, if luckly the rock of zoos will recover.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

You know what? I did just that about an hour ago. Originally wanted to dispose of the buttons but wifey says try to save the buttons. That's why I did this. But did it in my 1 footer tank with some old salt water. Most of the Nudis fell off with my vigorous dipping and shaking but some I had to manually remove them from the buttons and from my main tank! D@mn tedious manually removing them one by one from the main tank especially after a night out with the boys! ;)

Now most of the Nudis are in my 1 footer. There are still some in the main tank which I have to keep a lookout and remove them when I see them.

FuEl, hope the Nudis survive in the old salt water long enough for you to collect them. By the way, if the original buyer backs out of your pair of pistol shrimps, I want them. :) I need some sand shifters urgently!

Okie...no prob...pm and sms (in case i outside) me on the day you are free and I will try to make it. Cut some zoanthids for them? :lol: Sure..will keep you 2nd in queue for the pistols. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 5 months later...

Mine too has these stupid pests. I got rid of them by soaking with them with a pail of water for 10 minutes. Skake the rocks and all this pest will drop and die.

Place them back into your tank under bright light.

They will recovered in time but there will be a couple of young nudis ( white ) still emerge from their hideout. Continue the the same treatment.I have oberserved that the darker colour as shown by the pictures are the mature ones. The white are the newly hatched.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

itz good that u select zoos when they are fully open b4 u buy.. tts what i observe.. ;) look closely for eggs oso.. i used to have half open polyps b4 i buy.. notice nudi after i got hm... manage to save in time.. :P

tis is veri misleading.. is tis a Question or an ANsWer? :blink:

Maybe it is QuesWer. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
QUOTE (Gouldian @ Feb 10 2005, 09:07 PM)

QUOTE (Lin @ Feb 10 2005, 08:35 PM)

QUOTE (kareen @ Feb 10 2005, 06:10 PM)

just a passing thought..... will long nose and copperband butterfly eat them..... 

tis is veri misleading.. is tis a Question or an ANsWer? 

Maybe it is QuesWer. 

muz clarify sia.. 

I suspect maybe long nose and copperband butterfly fish may eat them..... The long peck should be able to pick up the nudis easily and unless it is poison (which I don't think so 'cos the picture nudis are not colourful), the nudis are a LIVE food. However I cannot confirm that's why I pose to see anyone happen to know it or not.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

I suspect maybe long nose and copperband butterfly fish may eat them..... The long peck should be able to pick up the nudis easily and unless it is poison (which I don't think so 'cos the picture nudis are not colourful), the nudis are a LIVE food. However I cannot confirm that's why I pose to see anyone happen to know it or not.....

even u suspect oso no use.. above post asking how to select zoos w/o nudi mah.. not getting fish to eat it mah.. :lol: cant get a nudi colony and then purposly buy a fish to eat it mah.. can prevent then prevent mah.... :lol: