Keeping Anemones

slcw

I am member of S'pore and Mal fish forum, i noticed numberous members attempting to keep anemones which i feel perhaps i can share some experiences.

I am in no way an expert in this area, just someone who understands a bit more.

To begin with:

Intro:

Statistical data researched by experts in this field has derived a result that anemones have poor survival rates in capavity, most of which do not surpass 2 years in capavity and a lesser % between 2yrs to 5yrs. There is even fewer data on anemones in capavity > 5yrs. The study was reported by Joyce W.

Nobody can place an AGE to anemones; that is an anemone can exist > 100 yrs old. Nobody can be certain. A question posed would be if an anemone (assumed) to be 10yrs old, if it split into 2 (smaller) would be age 0 or 15.

Setup:

To be specific for anemones: strong lighting (MH), good flow (min 5x flow), substrate (grade 1), no powerheads, beware of overflow compartment. This is an area that is covered in depth by many experienced ppl such as:

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/

http://www.reefcentral.com

(under anemones and clowns there are 2 articles in there)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com

(another 2 articles by anemone aquarist)

as such i would not cover it here.

And of course, the most respected document i regard is:

A field guide to Clown fish and it host sea anemones. (do a goggle)

ID and selection of anemones:

refer to the websites given above. I have an advise: that is always research first before purchasing one. Basically know the odds u are against in keeping anemones. Different anemones require different needs.

When in the LFS, note if the anemone is not adhering to the glass or substrate dun buy it. if the guts are out, dun get it too. refer to the guides above.

Experiences:

Carpet anemones prefer sand substrate and sometimes prefer to be adhere to a rock before moving to the sand. (much i have learnt from books, and the websites i have visited.

BTA are regarded the easist, i agree. but they have a tendency to move compared to carpets. However, my BTA never moved (current aquarium) compared to my carpet. This requires to understand their needs (lighting and flow)

I can conclude and confirm that when an anemone is deprived from light they will move either to towards the light or the area of the greatest flow (powerheads and overflow - Anemones require lighting for zoos and occassional feeding.) So dun blame them, it is ur lack of understanding of them. Target 1st the lighting, then create the flow around them.

An anemone moving constantly in an aquarium and does not settle down is on a road to disaster. Quickly understand the individual needs of them before correcting them. Monitor their process and observe.

Mixing anemones:

This an area of much contrasting views, if u ask www.wetwebmedia.com or the expert forums in RC, the response will be no. Even they are the same type.

HOWEVER, they are still numberous ppl that mix anemones, even in RC. However that is not all, ppl also mix soft corals, LPS, SPS and anemones together.

I have come to a conclusion is whatever u mix, be prepared to remove anemones or other corals if physical warfare is occuring.

However, pls note chemcial warfare can occur without any of the corals and anemones phyiscally touching each other.

So if u not prepared, then go biotype. An anemone species tank with no other corals or invertebrates. I suggest 2.5ft cube with 250watts MH.

Conclusion

Like any other fish or corals, with proper research and understanding u would increase your chances of enjoying your hobby. At the end of the day, remember to share like what Bob Fenner said ;)

Suggested books

1) Clownfish by Joyce W

2) Reef Aquarium I by Julian Spring

3) Sea clowns and their host anemones by John Tullock

4) Natural Aquariums by John Tullock

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great information. I agree with the point against mixing of anemones. Even upon arrival at local dealers, anemones should not be mixed temporarily in the same container or the same recirculating system even if they belong to the same species. I will not go into detail the biological consequences of such an act but this is probably one of the important reasons which affect the long-term well-being of the anemone once it reaches the consumer.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

actually its sometimes not because that we dont read and find out.

I have read a hundred times to be careful of powerheads when having anemones and I got one sucked in about 1 year ago. Yet, another one was pureed recently. The problem is we forget.

Its good to have fresh articles .. even on basic issues .. to remind ourselves every now and then. Of course, in the end .. if we dont bother to read those articles .. still cant help i guess :)

• SRC Member

The real hard fact is: You read, but can you remember those info for how long?

You do research on something, buy no stock in LFS. Few months past, now there are these or similar stocks in LFS. Can you recall what read?

So, you gonna go home do a homework? Guess these "beauty" will wait for you by the time you come back with the so-called-prepared-knowledge?

LOL

I believe mostly we the reefers in all at realistically is buying something on temptation (too pretty to miss them out, or just too boring nothing good to stock, and your tank kind of empty.... :P ), only then we start on the reseach "after" the purchase.

Tell me, who ever really do full research b4 they buy any live stocks from LFS?

LOL

I do "practice" research 1st, but the fact is what I read and see, doesn't have stock in LFS. So either wait, buy buy something look similar or "fished" by the LFS boss.

hehehehe.... :paiseh:

You do research on something, buy no stock in LFS. Few months past, now there are these or similar stocks in LFS. Can you recall what read?

nobody can recall 100% on what they read, however after reading u would know generally whether they are difficult or hardy. Sometimes if u have an intention to buy something u probably bring books along with you. So Kelmen, u got ur pocket book you were previously looking for?

So, you gonna go home do a homework? Guess these "beauty" will wait for you by the time you come back with the so-called-prepared-knowledge?

There are so many options, one of the fastest way is to call frens who are well versed in certain areas, or 1 time I was my fren who was coming to LFS to bring his Bob Fenner book for my reference. Most of the time, I have ordi before setup an aquarium listed the things I wish to get, and would have some background But Yes, more often then not we may buy without research.

I believe mostly we the reefers in all at realistically is buying something on temptation (too pretty to miss them out, or just too boring nothing good to stock, and your tank kind of empty.... :P ), only then we start on the reseach "after" the purchase.

Well, there are like the seahorse that I have research extensively until now I decided against the idea on 2 separate occassions, see www.arofanatics.com and www.myfish.info. Another is mandarin fish, never dare to try it. Now I am researching on lionfish

well of course there are times we dun do full or any research, so let he who has not sin cast the first stone

• SRC Member

After all the reading, 1 of the coral i will not keep is goni.

up till now, no one had yet found THE way to keep goni for long period of time.

goni are beautiful creatures, and on several lsf visits am very tempted to buy

them <_<<_< but managed to supress the urge lah :P

cheers

Hello everyone.

Just to share some pics of my 2 anemones.

The pink one got shreded to a pulp by the power-head

the next day i got it. Its been 6-7 mths already.

It recovered and it's now in it's full glory

once again! I fed it prawn once every 3-4 days.

Just got the white anemone last week.

Hope it'll stay strong...

post-72-1125575047.jpg

Just sharing my anemone shots :)

My green BTA:

maroons20do.jpg

maroons12po.jpg

My previous sebae, RIP. :( Read about it here.

maroonoldanemone12no.jpg

I have some videos of my clowns fooling around in my BTA. PM me if you're interested :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

I been through the RC faq long time ago. It stated that anemone keep on shrinking is a bad sign.

But my been in the tank about half year.

So, I'm confused is it really a bad sign or just normal behavior for anemone in aquarium.

I guess its best to collect from those bros who keeping anemone too.

BTW, my one is BTA, not carpet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Need advice urgently.... :bow:

My bulb anemone got suck to a powerhead yest night... now it is injured ... got some parts like "lan" (rotting) already and shrink to super small size.... though some parts still normal... wanna ask whether is there a gd chance for it to recover?? Few mths ago, got similar situation.... the anemone did not survive... melted away slowly.... so i was thinking whether to give it chance to get better... but scared that it may give of toxins and harm my fishes... haiz... hope to hear opinions from bros and sisters :thanks::bow::bow::(

ok, first smell the anemone, it got bad smell. time to throw away.

if no. monitor the anemone

either way perform water change.

ur anemone move because it was not happy. either at nite the oxygen levels dropped. that it needed more flow or some other reason. remove all powerheads if wish to keep anemones.

• SRC Member
Need advice urgently.... :bow:

My bulb anemone got suck to a powerhead yest night... now it is injured ... got some parts like "lan" (rotting) already and shrink to super small size.... though some parts still normal... wanna ask whether is there a gd chance for it to recover?? Few mths ago, got similar situation.... the anemone did not survive... melted away slowly.... so i was thinking whether to give it chance to get better... but scared that it may give of toxins and harm my fishes... haiz... hope to hear opinions from bros and sisters :thanks::bow::bow::(

I suggest that if you want to give the anemone time to recover, please segregate it in a Quarantine tank. Otherwise, like you've mentioned, it may give out toxins.

Just my 2 cents. ;)