Weekly LFS & Shipment Updates - 26th to 2nd Oct 2011

• Senior Reefer

yellow belly regals sadly do not come in at 1-2 inches.

all juveniles you see here are grey bellies. but juvenile regals are yellow so they are often mistaken for yellow bellied ones.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

yellow belly regals sadly do not come in at 1-2 inches.

all juveniles you see here are grey bellies. but juvenile regals are yellow so they are often mistaken for yellow bellied ones.

Tks for the insight! What's the smallest size that the yellow bellies usually come in at?

• Senior Reefer

What is the size for F & M?

Females are 3-4 inches

Males are usually 4-5 inches

I dont suggest buying males though. Based on personal experience and that of many other reefers in the U.S, males do not hold their colour even if paired with females. This is the problem with most Genicanthus angels. Watanabe Angels also sometimes pose this problem.

Even with females, the males revert back to female form. This is not always the case, but there's a very high chance of this happening. No one is really sure why, but it could be that artificial pairing just cannot provide the social interaction needed between them. This is just a speculation.

Starting with 2-3 females and waiting for one to naturally morph into a male is a better idea, and that way, the male will not change back because the social interaction between the harem is strong and the fishes themselves create the pecking order from the get go.

But of course, you can try getting a male if you see one. No harm trying and since this species is so hard to find, wether male or female, just jump on the chance if you really like it

• SRC Member

Anyone seen macroalgaes arnd anywhere other than bamboo, grapes, chaeto and gracilaria? Thanks!:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

CF.. ^__^

Ooohh what they got there? Haha nv went CF before though...

• SRC Member

:yeah: ANGELFISH lovers...dun miss the one & only 4-inch+ size ORANGE-TAIL EMPEROR ANGEL with protruding streamer...found at PINNACLE !!! :eyeblur::thumbsup:

Hee I think should be min 6 inch instead if not I will have get it. =p But got a question I thought orange tail EMPEROR ANGEL is only from hawaii?

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• Senior Reefer

Hee I think should be min 6 inch instead if not I will have get it. =p But got a question I thought orange tail EMPEROR ANGEL is only from hawaii?

there are no emperor angels documented from hawaii islands.

this is a common misconception that i hope i can debunk today.

our hawaii shipment contains fishes from marshall island, mainland hawaii and christmas islands. but the collection and distribution facililty is in hawaii, so everyone thinks the fishes that come from "hawaii" shipment, come from hawaii.

flame angels, rhomboid fairy wrasses, helfrichi etc are all caught from marshall islands.

the only real fishes coming in from hawaii are potters angel, lemonpeel, fisheri angels and a few others.

the orange tail emperors from "hawaii" shipments come from christmas islands.

and as for orange tail emperor angels, they exists in every location in which emperor angels are found in. indonesia, philippines, red sea, christmas islands etc etc.

the orange tail is just a slight variation to the normal yellow tail one. and being a variant, they can be found in all oceans. just that some areas have a higher population of these said orange tails. like christmas island.

and as for the dorsal fin streamer, only pacific ocean emperors have the streamers. indian ocean emperor angels do not have the streamers.

i hope this helps.

• SRC Member

take a trip there.. ^__^ has quite a big floor area. corals, fishes. etc etc

Haha yeaa will do... Wanted to know what kind of macroalgae they got other than the usual chaeto, grapes and bamboo

hi all.. anyone spotted green banded gobies? thanks!

Looking for this one a well... if anyone has seen it, please advise us! thanks

attached is a pic of it!

• Senior Reefer

oh i forgot!

CF had a blackfooted lionfish over the weekend.

pretty rare and very beautiful with blue highlights on the fins.

call to check if still available. most likely yes