This worm ate my adult size Flame Goby!!

• SRC Member

Finally caught this disgusting worm! First saw it one month ago but was unable to catch it until now. Must have came with the live rocks.

post-9626-0-95462700-1317352048_thumb.jp

I left it out of water for awhile and it soon spit out the top half body of my Flame Goby :rip:

I guess this could be the killer of my other small fish... :angry2:

• SRC Member

that doesn't look like a bobbit worm.. more like fire or bristle worm..didn't know that they eat live fishes like bobbit worms..

• SRC Member

That looks like a fireworm. Here's an interesting article about them.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Not sure if it was stung or just died and the worm ate it, but this Flame Goby was one of my first few fishes and it's quite established. :cry:

Based on Lemon's comment, the worm certainly look capable of killing small fishes if it packs such painful stings. Certainly glad I didn't touch it. It looks too disgusting to handle anyway.

Really regret not digging it out earlier when I first saw it. I didn't want to disturb my rockwork and fishes just to get to it. But now come to think of it, I could have saved some of my fishes if I had done so...Haiz....