Is it easy for us to switch from NSW to salt mix?

For the past one yr, i had been using NSW for my 24G nano tank... every weekend had to drive to either coral farm or pasir ris there just to get one pkg of NSW, and my wife is complaining. anyway I would like to switch over from NSW to salt mix. I would like to check with bro here, whether is it troublesome if i would to switch from NSW to salt mix? Is there anythings we need to look into? Since now currently my tank is NSW, how to switch it over to salt mix? With this change, would it kill my fishes? Would the bacteria died becos of this? Please advise. Thanks.

For the past one yr, i had been using NSW for my 24G nano tank... every weekend had to drive to either coral farm or pasir ris there just to get one pkg of NSW, and my wife is complaining. anyway I would like to switch over from NSW to salt mix. I would like to check with bro here, whether is it troublesome if i would to switch from NSW to salt mix? Is there anythings we need to look into? Since now currently my tank is NSW, how to switch it over to salt mix? With this change, would it kill my fishes? Would the bacteria died becos of this? Please advise. Thanks.

I think it should not have any problem, just make sure you are using DI water, it should be fine. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Actually using saltmix is preferred for a reef tank than NSW since the parameter is better i.e; ca,mg,kh and trace elements ect...

However, you just need to take note of the chlorine , N03 and P04 present in your tape water. For hardcore reefer , we just RO/DI unit to produce "Pure" water for mixing salt mix .

• SRC Member

Actually you might want to consider getting more NSW per trip and storing the NSW in jerry cans with additional aeration.

Preparing salt mix will need to store them (preferably) overnight too since normally we don't use the salt mix immediately after mixing, unless really urgent.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

salt mix parametre is better then NSW. slowly change from NSW to salt mix. though salt mix is expensive then NSW. use distilled water! infact i tried using tap water. result of tap water for fish is nothing affecting but corals affect alot.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I use a 120litre drum to collect the DI water before mixing with Saltmix...it take about a day to distill the tap water to become DI water.....after that add in salt and use pump or wave-maker to blend the water overnight....this drum last me for 3-4 weeks of water change....IMO...less troublesome to go buy water from farm....just got to know from a senior reefer that 70% of his SPS died cos of bad quality NSW...just my 2 cents....cheers

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Yes, I set up my new 4ft tank one month ago, top with NSW as I use salt mix previously with DI water for my 2ft, As the volume of 4 ft and sump was a lot cannot afford to make distill water of 400L at one shot. My magnesium , keep depleting at a fast rate, while KH , and calcium seem erratic, I did a 30% WC with salt mix now seem more stable still monitoring. I personally prefer salt mix then NSW as I have try both before

To change over not too much problem.

Just make sure you check the parameter after each change.

I using both type of water for wc.

No problem so far

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016