pico tank

TanWeiSongBeck

• SRC Member

Hmmm try dymax's iq3 or iq5? Comes with what's needed and prolly have to get a better light and a fan or iceprobe?:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

was thinking about a IQ5, but what will the damage be like? it shouldn't be too heavy to break my computer desktop right? :pinch: fan wise maybe just like the veteran here mod some computer fans and attached to the tank I think should do?

Shld be arnd 100+? not sure abt damage though...:) if im not wrong shld be arnd 10-20kg with water and all so u try and test urself for the table...:D hard for me to confirm abt ur table... Dont have to be veteran to mod the fan laa... Go sim lim tower and ask shop can already...:) if not just spend arnd $20 for the dymax or other types of ready made fan lor...:)

• SRC Member

Hi there weisong. Welcome to SRC. ^_^

You seem fairly new to the reef keeping hobby. Perhaps you might wanna read through some of the pinned articles posted here.

After you have a thorough understanding of the basic requirements of reef keeping, you can turn your focus on your initial plan, to keep a pico tank.

Keeping a small tank has its pros and cons, and by understanding its limitations, it will help you decide the size of the tank you can keep.

A budget of $500 is plenty for a basic setup. If you can take a photo of your computer desk and share it with us here, it would better help us in giving proper advice as to whether your desk could take the weight of the tank or not. In general, computer desks are not that sturdy, and do note that salt water has a higher density, which adds to the weight of the tank.

Computer fans are not that powerful, so if they are insufficient to cool your tank, you can consider getting an Ice-Probe. Do take note of the rate of evaporation if you use a fan.

Feel free to post questions if you need more help, but mostly, answers can be easily found online.

Cheers, and happy reefing!

• SRC Member

I have attached my computer desk image for the veteran to guide me. I have read through the newbie guide.

I am deciding like a pico tank, either the IQ3 or IQ5 and I saw that it is better to get a RO/DI which I saw at madpetz a 2-stage at $60+, but is it sufficient? I am just intending to keep maybe 2 clownfish in the tank with LR and live argonite. Will it be overstocking?

• SRC Member

I have attached my computer desk image for the veteran to guide me. I have read through the newbie guide.

I am deciding like a pico tank, either the IQ3 or IQ5 and I saw that it is better to get a RO/DI which I saw at madpetz a 2-stage at $60+, but is it sufficient? I am just intending to keep maybe 2 clownfish in the tank with LR and live argonite. Will it be overstocking?

Hmmm just a personal suggestion to maybe just get a shelf or sth for ur tank so u dont have to worry abt weight and can put ur tank stuff into the shelves...:) ikea has a wide range if u planning to get it...:) ur stocking seems fine.. No worries!:)

• SRC Member

yes, just get a simple shelf/cupboard and i would suggest go for IQ5. IQ3 is too small. IQ5 is less than S$100 and if you want, change the light to something better, maybe a small LED light. Then add a small clip on fan to bring temp down. fish stock should be minimal, 3-4 small fishes max, some corals and maybe a shrimp, starfish etc.

Top up with distilled water and do water change with sea salt once a week.

yes, just get a simple shelf/cupboard and i would suggest go for IQ5. IQ3 is too small. IQ5 is less than S$100 and if you want, change the light to something better, maybe a small LED light. Then add a small clip on fan to bring temp down. fish stock should be minimal, 3-4 small fishes max, some corals and maybe a shrimp, starfish etc.

Top up with distilled water and do water change with sea salt once a week.

Hi bro

Care to share where to get an IQ5 for less than $100.

Also if there is a shop that has a wide range of pico/nano accessories setup.

I am interested to start a pico tank like TS; due to limited space but I am concern about manageability since it is a pico and temperature is also a challenge.

Thanks

• SRC Member

Hi bro

Care to share where to get an IQ5 for less than $100.

Also if there is a shop that has a wide range of pico/nano accessories setup.

I am interested to start a pico tank like TS; due to limited space but I am concern about manageability since it is a pico and temperature is also a challenge.

Thanks

You can ask around but I think Petmart at Serangoon North should have and it's the cheapest. As for accessories, it's too scattered, really depends what you mean.

• SRC Member

hi plankton. a reefer share with me that he got a iq5 from pet mart at serangoon for $80. you may want to try there.

There you go.. I believe there's also an optional acrylic cover for IQ5... just in case if you want to cover it but I won't really recommend it due to the heat. (maybe at night will be ok.)

• SRC Member

Cool guys... I will check out petmart this weekend, may another hunt for a iceprobe.

Always believe the spirit of sharing.

Sorry TS, I am hijacking your thread. (no offence)

For Pico, you may not need iceprobe (too costly also). try a small cooling fan and top up evaporation more often may be better.

For Pico, you may not need iceprobe (too costly also). try a small cooling fan and top up evaporation more often may be better.

Hi Ketchup,

I do understand that marine live rocks and fishes does not required a chiller; however if I intend to have corals i would need to operate at a desirable temperature. Would a fan be sufficient for the nano/pico tank in a non-airconditioned room, eg. living hall.

cheers!

• SRC Member

Hi Plankton,

You can go find desi thread on his office pico. Apparently he is able to maintain at around 25-27 degree water temperature during the weekends on his tank in office using a fan to blow at the tank indirectly. But still I think have to depends on the positioning of your tank. If there is direct sunlight maybe will be more difficult.