Fish/ cleaner shrimp die when in tank help needed

Whenever I put in a fish or shrimp into my tank it will die straight away within 2 min I m not sure y but my corals inside are all okie.

Here are my specs.

2x1.5x2 feet tank

Corals

4 brains

1 bubble

1 plate

2 hammer

Running on a him external filter with bio rings and charcoal inside ( all new around 5 days )

using sea water no premix

Water flow moderate and temp around 25

Pls advise .

Thanks

Whenever I put in a fish or shrimp into my tank it will die straight away within 2 min I m not sure y but my corals inside are all okie.

Here are my specs.

2x1.5x2 feet tank

Corals

4 brains

1 bubble

1 plate

2 hammer

Running on a him external filter with bio rings and charcoal inside ( all new around 5 days )

Pls advise .

Thanks

2 mins... lol... I do not even know where to begin.

you need to read up more bro....good luck

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Here are my specs.

2x1.5x2 feet tank

Corals

4 brains

1 bubble

1 plate

2 hammer

Pls advise .

Thanks

1) Stop adding any livestock

2) You would need to allow a newly set up tank to cycle for at least 4 weeks

3) After 4 weeks you would need to test if the water is suitable for your marine livestock, you would need to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH and salinity.

4) Ensure you have proper filtration system, using external filter with bio rings and charcoal can be a timebomb, use a sump with appropriate filters like skimmers.

5) Add in corals slowly.

6) If you want to add in fishes, you need to properly acclimatise them before adding them in. you can read more about acclimatising on this forum.

Like what comy shared, read through all the pinned articles on the forum, and post questions on the forum.

• SRC Member

5 days is too short man.... let it cycle longer ( 2 weeks).... by right you should not even be putting in ANY LS within such a short span of time and that includes corals.

What's your SG level?

Are you dosing any bacteria?

Picture of tank please?

Do you have any test kits to check your ammonia and nitrite levels?

2 mins is rather ridiculous.. I know this is going to sound foolish but I assume you didn't buy freshwater fish and shrimp. :P Do you know what fish and shrimp you bought?

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member

hmm it's like you suddenly stepping in to a hot spring naked, tt's how your fishes feel, a sudden shock. Even if we can tahan the sudden change, these small creatures really can't, :)

I can relate to your excitement of buying a new fish/shrimp and the sadness and confusion as to why it died upon entering the tank.. but reading and plenty of patience will go a long way, all of us here mean well~ Just remember, keeping a fish tank is a function of many variables (water parameters, temp, livestock compatibility, coral sting, and a lot more) and this formula cannot be rushed. Hope it helps.

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

In my opinion, your temp is set too low. If you are not keeping SPS, you can set it to 27 or 28. I think your fish probably died from shock. Even diease will take at least a couple of hours to days to kill. Please do read up if you are new to the aquarium hobby.

25 degree is still ok but what I 'm curious is how he can get the temp so low w/o chiller :pinch: !!!

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Even the tank is not cycled for a single day.introducing life stock in it also will not die within 2 min... Maybe 2 hrs, 2 days? Definitely not 2 min.

I do not have a external thermo stat and my tank temp sometime at 25.8 degree. No casualties .

You should might have introduce any form of toxics into it.

Restart your tank and do a proper cycled at least 1 month, check your parameter and introduce fish slowly.

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

• SRC Member

25 degree is still ok but what I 'm curious is how he can get the temp so low w/o chiller :pinch: !!!

i'm wondering the same thing..

may i know which lfs you got the seawater from? recent batches of nsw that i tested were greatly lacking in certain perimeters

This topic and post simply made my mouth open wide ! :wacko:

Be a responsible reefer.. Read up before you start. Everyone starts from the very beginning, and we go through the process of learning.

Read up on cycling of tank, read up on how to do it properly. if not, you are only killing those innocent livestocks.

I am seriously very curious to know what went wrong and how it died within 2 minutes.

I think the very first thing you should tell us is WHAT FISH have you bought. I am really starting to believe you bought freshwater fishes.

but serioussly, even freshwater fish also shouldn't die within 2 minutes. IMHO i think freshwater fishes put in sea water should last longer than that for the osmosis shock to take place. I think there are some toxic around that are able to kill the fish within such a short timespan.

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Could be ammonia poisoning. Any dead coral before that? Since it's small tank, advise to do a major water change with seawater to remove all the guessing and water parameter instability. Then run your canister filter for 2wks or more before trying another fish.

I actually experience that with my colleague tank in office. There's coral inside with temp below 25degree cool by aircon, however once introduce clown fish, it's struggling to get out of the water within a min. Luckily there a 2nd tank standby.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• 4 weeks later...
shrimp very sensitive to salinity, maybe thats why it up lorry so fast. Fish should be tougher, kind of strange

yea... even if shrimps are sensitive to salinity, but 2 minutes! wow! :blink:

wouldn't they go into sort of a trance for at least a while 1st (surely more than 2 minutes) before either they die or start to acclimatize?

i'm inclined to believe that there are some toxins at play in this tank.

but what toxins can kill fish & shrimps in 2 minutes yet the brain, bubble, plate, hammer corals are not affected?

• SRC Member

yea... even if shrimps are sensitive to salinity, but 2 minutes! wow!

wouldn't they go into sort of a trance for at least a while 1st (surely more than 2 minutes) before either they die or start to acclimatize?

i'm inclined to believe that there are some toxins at play in this tank.

but what toxins can kill fish & shrimps in 2 minutes yet the brain, bubble, plate, hammer corals are not affected?

Heavy metals, arsenic, copper, cyanide, hydrogen sulfide, low do, toxins from corals and zoas