Hon Kit's Reef Tank

honkit

Your tank is really shaping up nicely.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Wow, that's a very nice reef tank. Btw, noticed your millepora is quite close to your acro. Best to note that mille sometimes will trigger longer "hair" than usual and those are digestive strands. Do be careful of those corals that are placed too close to it.

Thanks for the compliements, bros and sis :)

Regarding the yellow prostrata, its closest neighbour is my abratonoides @ kitkat acro. Warfare between them has resulted in the prostrata having burnt tips! I had to snip off a bit of its branches to minimize such battles. Guess I have to frag the prostrata one of these days.

Did I hear frag???!!! LOL

Nice work Honkit, your have exceeded your former glory. :bow:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Thanks honkit for the kitkat pic. I noticed that you placed it upright like many of the other corals.

Do the corals grow better this way? I'm asking cos although some of mine are placed upright, most of them are placed slanted depending on the type of coral.

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

Side view shot of my tank

side-view-shot.jpg

Bro, in awe of your tank. I didn't quite fancy the minimalistic look at the initial part of the thread but after going through the pages one by one, I finally understood the reason behind it after seeing this pic. The overall shape of the corals truly is amazing.

One word, inspiration.

Thanks honkit for the kitkat pic. I noticed that you placed it upright like many of the other corals.

Do the corals grow better this way? I'm asking cos although some of mine are placed upright, most of them are placed slanted depending on the type of coral.

Yes, I placed it upright to minimize areas where it might be shaded by its own branches or other corals.

Slanted placement is good is if stick or epoxy your SPS corals at the edge of your rockwork with no obstruction around them.

Bro, in awe of your tank. I didn't quite fancy the minimalistic look at the initial part of the thread but after going through the pages one by one, I finally understood the reason behind it after seeing this pic. The overall shape of the corals truly is amazing.

One word, inspiration.

Believe it or not, I did mean for my tank to have a minimalist look initially! :P

However, being the CORAHOLIC that I am (worse than drugs, booze or tobacco), I could not resist the lure of pretty sticks. No thanks to the temptations yielded by the likes of Dr Cedric Ang, Joe_P and other reefers with frags for sale. Also, the shipments brought in by Iwarna, Golden Octopus and Pinnacle were too good to resist resulting in a depleted banking account :sick: :sick:

What I have done is draw the line in NOT putting any corals that touches the left, right and front sides of my tank leaving empty space there to maximize flow. However, the growth of some of my colonies in the past 6 months has necessited some minor re-arrangements and a teeny bit of fragging.

• SRC Member

OMG that looks awesome!! Like a real reef in the wild!! But it looks so close won't some of them sting each other?

girlone.png

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Honkit,

You are saying that you keep your dkh at 7.5, how about your calcium level?

Anyway, your tank looks really great!! Can I visit u somedays? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Oni happen to meet you once at Joe's place, but never really talk to you much :)

Thanks :) and you are very welcome to view my tank in person.

I haven't measured my calcium levels in months - the last test done came out at 400 ppm. As long as growth is shown, I take it that calcium levels are adequate but don't follow my lazy ways as this is not good reefing practice :P