Alex's Shallow Reef

screamyourheartout

Like any other typical reef hobbist, I got interested in reef aquariums after keeping freshwater fishes for a very long time. I have been in this hobby for a little more than 3 years. During these few years, I have learn alot from just setting up an aquarium. This curiosity for knowledge of marine life kept me moving forward. The very first tank I got was a 3 ft fwolr tank, i didnt really know much about this hobby but just kept moving forwards, learning through the hard way. Its basically like tripping over a rock and learning that the rock is there.Those times were difficult. Now it's another new beginning, I really hope the setting up this tank thread would be a good choice, reason being I want to keep in as a memory and at the same time all the experienced reefers can give some advices for me to improve.

I was once told this, " Failing to Plan is just as good as Planning to Fail ". Long story short, a month ago i had already been browsing the web doing some research and designing the tank. I had calculated the size of the tank and search the dimensions of the equipment I will be using. Basically, I got the idea of what I will be creating. In every challenge there is always a goal, and my goal is to create a full sps tank. I would really hope to see that day coming.

Here are some of the equipment that i will be using:

Return Pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Hailea 150A

Skimmer: Skimz SM 161

Here are some drawings of the tank:

post-18644-0-83192400-1323967544_thumb.p

post-18644-0-86821000-1323967545_thumb.p

Nice drawing bro... Will be camping here... 

Thanks drawing wasn't by me, the idea was by me. The drawing was by Dan from CRA. My original drawing was too messy to be seen and understood.

Wooo ... another nice tank coming up ....!

Cheers!

thanx.gif

looks good..simple and straightforward

Thank you biggrin.gif

Nice and neat setup. Can see you put a lot of thoughts into this.

Thanks. smile.gif

Good start. For the lightset, if u can afford, I will recommend power module although razor is also good. Reasons because of the following:

1. Power module has cooling fan to boost its performance

2. Power module has a protective sheet to protect the tubes and reflector(though not 100% sealed but it helps to a certain extend)

U can either go AM or DE lighting but suggest u go DE lighting to get yr ATI Powermodule. Hope this help.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Heyy! Exciting and neat set up! Btw u can try getting hs28a from hailea too...:) im using it and its not as noisy to me with the chiller in my room...:) can check it out at yishun blk 618... Same HP as 150a also...:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

Good start. For the lightset, if u can afford, I will recommend power module although razor is also good. Reasons because of the following:

1. Power module has cooling fan to boost its performance

2. Power module has a protective sheet to protect the tubes and reflector(though not 100% sealed but it helps to a certain extend)

U can either go AM or DE lighting but suggest u go DE lighting to get yr ATI Powermodule. Hope this help.

Yeah i guess will go with the ATI but is the light spread enough for the 2 ft width?

Bro, the spread will depends on the number of tubes u are getting and wat u intend to keep. For sps lover, easily 8 to 10 tubes.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Heyy! Exciting and neat set up! Btw u can try getting hs28a from hailea too...:) im using it and its not as noisy to me with the chiller in my room...:) can check it out at yishun blk 618... Same HP as 150a also...:)

Hi, i already placed an order for the 150a i guess i will have to stick with it but thanks anyways smile.gif

I have yet to decide on my lightings yet. Most probably will be going for T5s, i had seen some reviews on giessman razor and ati powermodules, can't seem to decide on the two. Any advices? Thanks thumbsup.gif

Put a search on ATI power module, I believe there are a couple on sale and I second T5. ;)

Try DE, I might be surprised by their pricing as compared to am. Call to enquire, don't see the web at times. All the best.

Algae Scrubbler

Try DE, I might be surprised by their pricing as compared to am. Call to enquire, don't see the web at times. All the best.

Thanks. Just one more question, is it fine to use the de lighting retrofit and fill the tubes with ati? Will there be any difference in brightness other than the cooling fan?

• SRC Member

Thanks. Just one more question, is it fine to use the de lighting retrofit and fill the tubes with ati? Will there be any difference in brightness other than the cooling fan?

you can. sure, active cooling and open end caps with better ballasts on ati would increase light output over the standard de lighting set however the difference is not very significant imo when you take into account the price difference

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...