Need explanation as to why all my fish died

Hi...abt a week ago, i bought an external bio filter....to replace the normal top with submersibble filter...so after setting up the bio filter and replacing my old filter, my fishes started to behave weirdly...most of my damsels changed colour and they are most of the time near the seabed...

i got freaked out and tot a water change will do....i did the water change but got worse...eventually most of my 19 fish died except one....so now im restarting again... still in the process of water cycling....

can someone explain what happened...did i put too much chemicals...or did i alter the system?? please help cos dont want it to happen again

19 fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Wow !!! :o 19 fishes??? How big is your tank...bio-load very heavy man. If only 2ft...maybe at most 5~8 fishes lah...depending on size too. My 4ft tank only has 3 fishes....want to add slowly...maybe 1 per week.

Problem solving - All except 1 fish dies...after you change to new external filter...QUESTION to ask yourself...

Q1) Did you use old corals chips(with good baterias) or Bio-Home ceramics (with good baterias) ?

If not, new filtering system cannot cope with your bio-load from 19 fishes lah...especially you remove old filter...supposingly help to maintain your previous bio-load somewhat.

Q2) Did you clean your new filters properly or was there some contamination occured ?

Q3) What are things have changed in your tank ?

Anyway, sorry to hear your state....

Take care ! Golf :angel:

• SRC Member

If you simply swap out the old overhead filter with the new external one, then I think your new external bio filter killed your fishes. Reason being your new filter has no bacteria to cope with the high bio load. With so many fishes, the water conditions will worsen so quickly and kill all your fishes in no time. You should really try to take care of the sole surviver! :(

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

i dun think the filters had a part to play. more like bioload crash. did u check ur water parameters? If u want to put 19 damsels into a tank. u might as well keep fresh water. More colourful fishes.cheaper somemore

not forgetting.. damsels = highly territorial