My new office small small tank

jxlex

• SRC Member

Its been almost 2 years since the massive leak from my old tank. :( i still miss my old tank man...

finally now having settled back down here, my hands got itchy again and i started a small tank in the office :P

First time doing a nano not exactly sure what i intend to put inside yet so if any bros/sis got any feedback, suggestions, advice, comments please feel free to share with me k :)

so far i got my hands on:

TANK: 1 x 1 x 1.2 ft (l x w x h)OF tank

Filtration

1. stock filter system

2. extra HO filter

3. Intend to fill it up with 1. Biopellet 2. Biohome 3. Charcoal (when do you think i should remove the charcoal? never used it before)

Lighting

1. Stock LED lights

2. 1 x solite 1w moonlight.

Presently using the stock led lighting but i will be changing to a par38 from drevil sometime before the cycling is over.

Circulation

Currently making use of the HOF and output from the buildin filter but am contemplating on getting a small power head like the tunze mini but still considering my options

Temperature

The office is on aircon between 7am to 8:30pm everyday including weekends so i think no need for any as the temperature is around 23-24C since my setup yesterday.

Livestock

1. Live Rock!!

Nothing else yet cos wanted to allow for cycling to complete.

I am still going back to using sea water for top up rather then mixing as my office is 10mins drive away from Iwarna to buy for regular change

Currently i am planning on change 30 - 50% water every week, do you think its too much for such a small tank?

Some pictures of my setup and arrangements:

Front View with all lights on:

post-18088-0-55366300-1330495605_thumb.g

Front View with only SOlite on:

post-18088-0-03455400-1330495606_thumb.g

Side View:

post-18088-0-16433900-1330495603_thumb.g

any comments, advice welcome! :)

post-18088-0-16433900-1330495603_thumb.g

post-18088-0-03455400-1330495606_thumb.g

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Neat and tidy.

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

• SRC Member

I am still going back to using sea water for top up rather then mixing as my office is 10mins drive away from Iwarna to buy for regular change

I think you meant water changes? Using sea water to top up evaporated water will be a continuous increase in the salinity of your tank water.

• SRC Member

i know i may be asking abit too much but i am thinking of venturing to sps in this mini tank. anyone has any feedback on this?

also, whats a good power head/wavemaker for a tank of my small size?

Hi Bro,

The hang-on will give more than enough flow. If you find it insufficient in future you can always upgrade the hang-on filter. Do watch the Solite 1W LED, it can burn your corals if you on it for too long..personal experience. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Btw how do u cool the temp in your tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Nice ..wat are you planning to put inside bro? Zoas will b nice

Thanks for the kind words bro... was dwelling with the idea of having a few polyps like GSP on the bottom to fill it up, some nice LPS and some zoas for the mid area before some sps on top... sounds like alot for my small small tank! :P

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

The hang-on will give more than enough flow. If you find it insufficient in future you can always upgrade the hang-on filter. Do watch the Solite 1W LED, it can burn your corals if you on it for too long..personal experience. :)

Hey bro! i recognize that face!! Really nice meeting you today and receiving all those wonderful advice from you! i have started the bac and carbon stuff u advised and removed my biopellets too! cant wait for cycling to be complete to place the other stuff u mentioned! (sorry i am very bad with names includng products :()

Yes luckily you adviced me yesterday else i would have stupidly gotten all the equipments!

the Solite 1w is on as a moonlight from 15mins before my main light goes off to 15mins after the main lights come on... is it too early? else what other options do i have for a moonlight "feature" bro?

Again a big thank you for all the advice! see you soon ;)

• SRC Member

Btw how do u cool the temp in your tank?

Bro, my office has aircon on everyday including weekends between 7am till 8:30pm so there really isn't a need for a chiller... however i am considering a heater cos i realise the temp went as low as 20C yesterday! :blush:

• SRC Member

Havent done much to the tank yet. But after getting some good advices from bros recently, i changed my routine a little.

Have completely removed the NPXBioplastics from the filter so now exclusively on biohome until cycling is complete before i replace with zeolite (i hope i spelt it right).

Currently also dosing Bactive8NPX and Fauna Marin Ultra Bak daily :)

• SRC Member

weird... have been testing my NH and NO2 but reading seems to be 0 or really low... used API NH testkit and Salfit NO2 test kit, still trying to get my hands on a NO3 testkit... wonder if i did anything wrong for my parameters to go this way.... i do not believe cycle is complete yet... hmm...

did a 50% water change with saltmix from madpetz on saturday nothing much has been done...

any reasons behind? :huh:

nice set up bro.

I've set up a nano tank of my own... IQ3. theres only zoas, and a monti plate. didnt change the water for close to 2 weeks and nitrate reading was 10ppm to 15ppm on API test kit. is that considered okay?

I'm doing 50% water change each time.

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• SRC Member

nice set up bro.

I've set up a nano tank of my own... IQ3. theres only zoas, and a monti plate. didnt change the water for close to 2 weeks and nitrate reading was 10ppm to 15ppm on API test kit. is that considered okay?

I'm doing 50% water change each time.

Thanks for the compliments bro! :) eh i havent really loaded livestocks yet but since the tank is so small you should really consider doing at least once weekly if possible more times smaller amounts will also be good. helps to replenish other minerals and trace elements too :) i am aiming to do 1 50% water change weekly and in the middle of the week probably a 30% change, helps with siphoning off stuff from my barebottom tank too... I top up every other day with distilled drinking water from my office water dispenser :P tested the water seems ok la....

Not exactly a cycling expert though... :)

• SRC Member

Just a little update, added Aqua Fauna Ultra Lith on Tuesday and so far all looks ok... still havent gotten my hands on the NO3 test kits too :P

i deserve to get shot for being so lazy... hahaha...

Well started by adding 1 nice purple flame goby and i think a pink spotted shrimp goby. Tank kinda boring now... cant wait to start loading man... my Par38 still hasnt arrive :(

Any fish recommendation for my small small tank? :D

• SRC Member

Finally my Par38 has arrived :) nicely installed but I think I may want to get another set... Hopefully can cover more area. However, lights are gorgeous!

FTS with 20k (3 blue 2 white)

post-18088-0-61683700-1331724791_thumb.j

FTS with white led covered up. Courtesy of post-its :P

post-18088-0-06508000-1331724866_thumb.j

Close up of tank blue and white:

post-18088-0-09005600-1331724907_thumb.jpost-18088-0-28653800-1331724911_thumb.j

should I get another set of lights? Which type should I get? 12k, 14k or another 20k or the RGB par38 from madpetz? Any suggestions from experts out there?

• SRC Member

Did my first dKH, Calcium and Mg test today: Using Tropic Marine test kits for the first time too

dKH:8

Ca: 436

Mg: will update again forgot but think is 1300+

PH: 8.2

Salinity 1.026

Started dosing 50% recommended dosage (1ml/day while 2ml/day is recommended) of C-Supplement... wondering if i should get something to buff up magnesium as well... any suggestions?

Took some pics to share of my existing livestocks (all LS from nice bros here :ThanxSmiley: ):

Zoa:

post-18088-0-95862800-1331896897_thumb.j

GSP:

post-18088-0-42726500-1331896900_thumb.j

Zoa2:

post-18088-0-79081500-1331896902_thumb.j

fav pink pink with purple/blue mouth:

post-18088-0-24146300-1331896906_thumb.j

cat eye i think:

post-18088-0-73808200-1331896909_thumb.j

solid pink, the photo like not right expression of color:

post-18088-0-49153400-1331896913_thumb.j

the flame goby since its addition about 1 week... eating well:

post-18088-0-54634100-1331896915_thumb.j

got a few frags from nice bros too :) just added in today as well... praying for the best....