Looking for MH for 4 ft tank

Chris

• SRC Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my PL lights to MH for my tank. Anyone got lobang for new or 2nd hand one with 2 bulbs. I'm thinking of the type that I can rest on my tank and not the type that need to hang from the ceiling, cos my wife won't allow me to drill holes. Let me know price also.

Not afraid of heat cos I've got a Teco chiller.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Chris, You can check with Chanbi....

He is currently in the process of DIYing his 4 foot hood with 2 x 250W MHs...

Think its gonna be much cheaper than those aqua commercial ones available..... by a lot......

And hehhehhehh.....

If you are looking at 250Ws..... why not start keeping SPS...... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Thanks Phang,

I upgrading more for the sake of my three clams. I have mostly soft corals (leather, finger). Only fox and touch need more light so now put them high high.

There are MH that are not pendant type but rest on metal stand. Mine come from Azoo and the light will be ~9" away from the water and so it is ok in term of heat/water etc... Mine come with 2x150W HQI + 2x9W actinic and selling at $1200 (u can get from Pac Marine).

Phang is right. I am upgrading my light to follow behind him on hunting for colourful sps! But too bad.. I have make a deal with bawater already.

• SRC Member

Actually, I'm refering to ...

" Chris.... follow Chanbi in DIY ing..... will cost you much less than to get a "specially made for Aquarium" type pendent....

And since CHris, you are interested in MH..... its time to graduate from Softies and LPS to SPS!!!!.....

:lol::lol::wub:

Thanks Chanbi,

Guess I have to look around for another 2nd hand one or DIY. $1200 is too ex for me.

Chris,

Taiwan made MH cost lesser....there are two types in the market. One with 2 MH & 2 FL come w/ a fan bulit in, the other w/ 2 MH & 2 PL no fan. Cost around 700 - 800 range for 4ft. Can try AquaMart or the LSF at Kembangan.

Rgds

• SRC Member

rrrbot,

I am not sure if 150w or 250w is enough for me. I don't have SPS, only softies and LPS and Clams. So, maybe 150W may be enough. Also, not so hot, right.

Thanks Ong for your lobang, will check out.

AT's offer for his lights is too ex for me but look damn nice and professional.

• SRC Member

You can have a look at pictures of my aquarium hood. The pendants aren't directly resting on the tank but on a skirting. The old hood is a DIY wooden one that is butt ugly. The dual MH pendants are now retired and I'm using the new aluminium hood that incorporates FL.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Be careful of those pendant which sit above your tank on 4 legs... it's a major accident waiting to happen. Also very prone to water splashes.

I think TTboy has those Taiwanese made ones and still regrets it to this day. You can ask him.

• SRC Member

Personally, I would prefer a mix of softies, LPS & SPS. This is something a lot more challenging than just solely sps. Keeping sps is no longer something difficult if you can fulfil its requirement of high ca, light, strong current.

Wei B)

• SRC Member

The hard part with SPS is making the tank look good because unlike softies and LPS they don't expand to take up space. They just stick there and don't move at all. It is a practice of patience to wait about 3 years or more for the SPS to grow and fill up the tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
:ph34r: Any1 been to Gilbert's shop (Marine Pets @ Odean Katong)?...he got 1 KICKass display tank......tink abt 4 -5ft and he's using those sit on tank edge lighting hoods that come wif 2 MH and tink a couple of PLs!!!! POWERFUL effects....jio u all go & see.......but his shop only that tank chio....he only do setup 4 pple dun sell fish one..... :D

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

bro,

gilbert's tank is 4 x 2 x 2 and his lights are taiwan made .... no chiller for him as he uses the air con in the shopping centre ... free so why not .... but i have to say veri nice tank !!

also he has second hand products for sale ... gotto check with him .... but most of the time he sets up tank for pple only and provide the resources for them to maintain the tank ....

• SRC Member

The type with the hood that can sit a few inches above the tank, comes with 2 x 150W MH and FL lamp, anyone know around how much? Is it possible to get less than $800? Or anyone has second hand one? Another query. Is this light good enough for reef tank 2ft deep with softies, mushrooms and clams? I have a chiller already, so heat is not a problem. I like AT's aquasunlight but too ex. Is Gilbert Marine Pet's this type and how much?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Yo Chris.....Gilbert's lighting comes with 2 MH and think 2 to 4 PLs (compact flors) anyway why u stil want FLs??? PLs are more powerful, cost less and last longer....I bot one set of PL lighting from him the other day...2 pls per hood...each pl is split into two diff kelvon range i.e one side blue the other white....quite powerful.... :upsidedown:

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]