Calling all SPS reefers...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Would say they have a bluish white tone.... very nice IMO....

I think rrobert and Baracuda's using these bulbs....

Hey!!!! we are getting out of topic... post these question at the equipment section....

Now back to those interested in SPS..... come on out and post your specs.... hmmm..... Where's AT???? and Spiff???? ......Chanbi????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hi all SPS Reefers...

I have currently some frags and colonies that I wish to sell off to make room and also to cover the cost of running my reef.... (jus received my bill ..... :shock::shock::shock: )........

These are the buyers that I'm looking forward to selling the frags...

1) have the system able to sustain SPS... (esp those who have posted their systems here)

2) intending to keep SPS but do not wanna risk paying large sums till they are sure....

3) Jus wanna try out if SPS can be kept in their reefs...

4) ** wanna have a full fledge SPS reef, In other words.... a "SPS lunatic", but nothing to start with.....

Looking forward to those guys that have posted in this thread....

BTW, many of these colonies have came in to me badly damaged and RTN..... they have somewhat recovered and shown excellent polyp expansion and growth.... places with flesh receding have been covered by encrustinf growth and now looks pretty good....

Even colours have improved ... many were brown but now have a greenish tinge and some green...

SO... those interested... please PM me for details..... B)

• SRC Member

The Fragmeister has seen the bill! :cry2:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
10)Chiller (HP and Brand)

Using a single house hold fan

Hello Morgan,

I have seen that you are using a box fan to cool your tank under the sun...what is your average temperature of your tank?

(I am trying to bring my new 3ft tank temperature down from an average of 30.5 deg C.)

Hello Morgan,

I have seen that you are using a box fan to cool your tank under the sun...what is your average temperature of your tank?

(I am trying to bring my new 3ft tank temperature down from an average of 30.5 deg C.)

Hi victorp

Currently the temp of the water in my tank ranges from 26.X in the morning to 29.X in the afternoon.

I just reset my entire reef tank, now full of softies and some hard corals, hardly any SPS. However, I would like to add some in future. Anyway,how do u classify SPS tank?--- do u folks mean only SPS and no softies, hammers, clams, seagrasses??? Can these be kept in harmony? If I keep SPS, do I have to boost my Ca and kill off the rest?

Anyway, here's my specs:

1)Reef size (dimensions in inches)

48Lx24Wx30H

2)No. of MH. Type and Wattage

1x400W Hamilton 10K, 2x3ft-25W ZooMedict Actinic tubes, 2x18"15W-Osram daylight tubes.

3)DSB, Phleum, Denitrator or none

1" coral chips in tank, maybe around 30kg of LR

4)Sump ( whether you have a incorporated Refugium / Filter Media / DSB)

2x tubs of >5" deep coral chips in sump, bio-sponge & balls, synthethic wool for mechanical filtration

5)Skimmer (Brand and Model)

One airdriven counter current skimmer + 1 power venturi skimmer---???brand

6)Calcium Reactor (Brand and Model)

None

7)PH levels

~8.3

8)Alk levels

~10dkH

9)Calcium levels

Not checked

10)Chiller (HP and Brand)

TECO RA680

11)Total System (Water exchange/circulation rate per hour)

Halida HX-6500B return pump from sump (pushing 1.7m height), dunno abt flow-rate of this model at this head-pressure.

Additional Comments :

• SRC Supporter
I just reset my entire reef tank, now full of softies and some hard corals, hardly any SPS. However, I would like to add some in future. Anyway,how do u classify SPS tank?--- do u folks mean only SPS and no softies, hammers, clams, seagrasses??? Can these be kept in harmony? If I keep SPS, do I have to boost my Ca and kill off the rest?

Keeping SPS with softies is rather risky IMO... as the chemicals secreted by softies either kill or slow the growth process of SPS.....

SO, if you are keen on SPS, recommend that you remove the softies or keep them minimal in your reef......

Hmmmm, you have a 400W hamilton??? hows the colour like?

and you are using the Hailea 6500?? think its flowrate is a little short.....

Another thing, how's your nitrate level.... you don't seem to have any for denitrating....

and your skimmer might be a little insufficient....

Sorry for the list of negative comments....... :cry:

• SRC Member

Hamilton 10000K is the same bulb as the Ushio 10000K. It was contracted manufactured by Ushio.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hi Joe_P,

Regarding yr comments:

The Halida Pump seemed very powerful already to me? I using a 25mm PVC drain pipe from tank tank to sump and a 20mm PVC return pipe to tank. Water gushing into my sump really fast! I actually even thought of reducing the circulation rate with my ball-valve as I noticed that most LFS tanks had a considerably slower circulation rate than mine. Are u also using this pump? Do u know its specs?---I had dsiposed the packaging lightyrs ago. :unsure:

Abt the Hamilton 10 bulb. I dunno how to describe. Actually I bought the Hamilton 10K EURO bulb, there's also a 10K German version. I would descriibe my MH light to be very high in intensity (ofcos, 400W---killing me on electrical bills, I initially mounted 2x400W bulbs but removed one) and crisp white, I love the shimmering on the sand!

:D

Sorry Joe_P,]

forgot to add:

My nitrate monitored weekly using Dupla Test Kit, so far, always below 10 mg/l.

I thought I mentioned the 2 tubs of DSB in my sumps? Learn from LFS that it helped to keep nitrate low. I think it really helped as this is the main diff between my previous setup and this one now. My previous setup is plague by exceeding high nitrate, don't ask how high!

:cry2:

I also have 2 skimmers foaming well always.

My setup up is only 2 months old, I'll keep close monitor on the nitrate becos I have pobia, PM u on its development if u like.

Tanzy: So U can keeping lots of SPS with little softies and not vice versa right? :cry:

Hi Joe_P,

Regarding yr comments:

The Halida Pump seemed very powerful already to me? I using a 25mm PVC drain pipe from tank tank to sump and a 20mm PVC return pipe to tank. Water gushing into my sump really fast! I actually even thought of reducing the circulation rate with my ball-valve as I noticed that most LFS tanks had a considerably slower circulation rate than mine. Are u also using this pump? Do u know its specs?---I had dsiposed the packaging lightyrs ago. :unsure:

Abt the Hamilton 10 bulb. I dunno how to describe. Actually I bought the Hamilton 10K EURO bulb, there's also a 10K German version. I would descriibe my MH light to be very high in intensity (ofcos, 400W---killing me on electrical bills, I initially mounted 2x400W bulbs but removed one) and crisp white, I love the shimmering on the sand!

:D

You might have got the model wrong...

6540 is 2880 l/hr

and 6550 is 5800 l/hr.... the downside is that it runs on 200W...... :pinch:

One pump might not be enough for proper circulation esp if intend to keep SPS....

Understand your concern regarding MH lighting.... jus got my bill and i'm.............. :cry2::cry2:

BTW, your DSB's made up of coral chips????..... or coral sand.....

and yes.... as your reef is only up and running for 2 months, recommend that you put SPS on hold first till your reef's more establish...... reefers recommend that a reef should run on for at least 8 - 12 months before SPS should be introduced.... got to let it mature.....

• SRC Member

Wah hah... that acro's a true purplish blue specimen..... ;)

And no tank shots now.....

till my reef looks like those in RC then might consider.... haha....

Talking about tank shots.... HOn, think its time you start thread on your tank progress!!!!...

You are too quiet already....

• SRC Member
My tank shot?? Didn't I show you the pic of my tank with sawdust in it.

It's still the same condition now, and for the next 2-3 weeks also same.... <_<

Start a new thread to document all the progress lah...

Will definitely be good reference for reefers who like to go for a huge reef in the future....