Feeding your SPS zooplankton

As a followup to Joe_p's query on phyto feeding of a reef tank... just like to know how many SPS keepers are feeding their acros and sps any form of live zooplankton or zooplankton substitutes?

I used to culture rotifers but have stopped due to time constraints... been feeding a mixture of Golden Pearls (GP) of 20 - 80 microns size, GPs of 60 - 100 microns size and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs at night when the SPS polyps are all out.

I use a 70ml syringe... jab it into the mixed powder until the nozzle is full about 1cm deep... suck in 70ml of tank water... this makes the powder be in suspension... give it a shake if there are any powder still on the water surface inside the syringe... and then insert the syringe underwater in front of my Stream and blast it.... it goes everywhere in my tank.. sometimes I will target blast my acros... its cool to see the polyps capture and eat the GPs!

I have experienced faster growth as compared to me just relying on light.

How about you guys...?

AT

• SRC Member

just inquired about the golden pearls from an online supplier.... asked about what is recommended for sps..... they adviced 5-50 micron and said shipping here would cost about $24 per 2lbs and delivery would be 3-5 days....

i have read of good reviews from reefcentral about golden pearls and really interested to try it out.... any ideas where to acquire it locally? also, need to hear advices from pros here as to what is the best for sps tank....

thanks!

5 microns? Have they made GPs that small already? When I ordered mine... the smallest was still 20 microns... its already a very fine powder... 5 microns.. is almost... atomic! :lol:

You have to order from brineshrimpdirect as they are the manufacturer. They are based in the US.

I ordered mine from them long ago! I don't think I will ever finish my supply! Because every coral is different and the polyp size will vary greatly... it is best to get them in a range of micron sizes... so no one will be left out.

You have to feed sparingly. Inmature tanks or those with poor filtration systems may experience cyano explosion as the GPs are high protein stuff!

i feed my acro cycops and it accepts them readily :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

my contact from brineshrimpdirect told me that gp expires... it can last for abt 10-12months if kept dry and refrigerated... so in this case, have to figure out how much do we really need within that time span, aside from which dispose it to fellow reefers rather than waste it....

im using cyclop-eeze as well right now, quite impressive in general but never really saw my sps feeding on it; just my sun corals, other lps and buttons plus my fishes :D

• SRC Supporter
As a followup to Joe_p's query on phyto feeding of a reef tank... just like to know how many SPS keepers are feeding their acros and sps any form of live zooplankton or zooplankton substitutes?

I used to culture rotifers but have stopped due to time constraints... been feeding a mixture of Golden Pearls (GP) of 20 - 80 microns size, GPs of 60 - 100 microns size and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs at night when the SPS polyps are all out.

I use a 70ml syringe... jab it into the mixed powder until the nozzle is full about 1cm deep... suck in 70ml of tank water... this makes the powder be in suspension... give it a shake if there are any powder still on the water surface inside the syringe... and then insert the syringe underwater in front of my Stream and blast it.... it goes everywhere in my tank.. sometimes I will target blast my acros... its cool to see the polyps capture and eat the GPs!

I have experienced faster growth as compared to me just relying on light.

How about you guys...?

AT

Been feedin my reef with DTs recently... and have not noticed much difference in my SPS.... the softies in my reef however are developing at a faster rate.....

I attribute the softies excellent growth rates to a higher nutrient level....

But as for now, am still wondering if faster growth has got to do more with the intensity of lights rather than feeding.... :)

So currently my feel towards feedin would be pretty neutral unless maybe GPs are really givin you the excellent growth results ...

Do remember that you are dumpin in nearly 1600 W into your reef esp with the 2 x 400W sakis..... which PAR exceeds most other bulbs in the market..... ;)

Joe.... feeding DT's is more for the micro life and filterfeeders who will benefit.

Evidence doesn't show that acros process phytoplankton. Their polyps are more for zooplankton capture... that is why rotifers (which feed on phyto) are the best live food for acros.... followed closely by GPs.

Lights isn't everything in the equation when it comes to SPS. I had months of no growth and colour loss with my acros (could be acclimatization).

I can attribute the recent tremendous growth and colouration to more stable cal and alk levels once I got my big CR in, together with the higher water quality achieved with my big beckett skimmer. (Touch wood, even with a heavy bioload, heavy feedings of cyclopeze a few times a day and GPs, I have not had any cyano outbreak for many months already. Perhaps my DSB has also matured already!).

I strongly believe feeding GPs supplements my SPS from just relying on light alone for their energy requirements.

Of course, if I could... I would feed live rotifers! But I really need a LOT of it! ;)

I have one sps frag..the polyps only extend slightly....I noticed..after everytime i feed cyclops and mysis..the acro withdraws its polyps and start to release fine thread like stinging tentacles. Is this a feeding response? :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Those are acontia filaments. Not usual feeding response. More of an offensive weapon.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

yay!!!!!juz started my first ever rotifer culture. DT stock going down. :cry:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Supporter
I can attribute the recent tremendous growth and colouration to more stable cal and alk levels once I got my big CR in, together with the higher water quality achieved with my big beckett skimmer. (Touch wood, even with a heavy bioload, heavy feedings of cyclopeze a few times a day and GPs, I have not had any cyano outbreak for many months already. Perhaps my DSB has also matured already!).

I strongly believe feeding GPs supplements my SPS from just relying on light alone for their energy requirements.

How often do you feed GPS to your reef???

Daily?? :unsure:

• SRC Member
just inquired about the golden pearls from an online supplier.... asked about what is recommended for sps..... they adviced 5-50 micron and said shipping here would cost about $24 per 2lbs and delivery would be 3-5 days....

i have read of good reviews from reefcentral about golden pearls and really interested to try it out.... any ideas where to acquire it locally? also, need to hear advices from pros here as to what is the best for sps tank....

thanks!

I remember readinga coral research article that majority of the SPS (REFERING TO ACROS ONLY) take in between 50 ~150 microns size plankton. I'll try to find the article and post on forum. 5 miron is way too small :P . There's a recent debate in RC that SPS take Cylco-eeze(did I spell right??) in 500 ~700 microns............I still think it is too BIG :P:blink::blink:

A good size to shoot for will be 50~150 micons............that's my eblieve base on what I read from a Florida Reef Research.

:)

Max

Yeah.... 5 microns is so close to Nanno phyto size! :huh:

Anyway... its a mix of 5 to 50.... so even the smallest of polyps have something to capture... I suppose!

Oh Joe_p, I try to feed everyday... sometimes I skip... ;)

I think a reason why I feel its good to feed your SPS corals zooplankton is because they are sensitive corals and a lot of their energy is used up for growth and should something happen to the coral affecting its health due to fighting off STN/RTN or to regenerate quickly to recover from physical damage... any help in supplementing their energy levels would be critical in living or dying.

Light & calcium alone may be enough to sustain SPS, but we should be looking for an edge over sustainability! ;)

Of course, feeding SPS will also push your system to the edge if you have borderline equipment or a weak filtration system. Do invest in an oversized skimmer... I don't think there is such things as overskimming when it comes to SPS!

:)

AT