Not really sure what i'm doing

• SRC Member

sorry to be a wet blanket, but I have to advise caution and you have to constantly check to make sure your tank glass do not start to warp as your glass being 6mm is really way too thin for a 3 footer tank. Salt water is much heavier than Fresh water and you risk it suddenly giving way leading to one heck of a mess in your living space. We don't know whether there is any bottom bracing since your pics show everything covered with sand but i have a feeling that this tank was initially used for Fresh water means most likely there is no bottom bracing as well.

On top of that you have a hang on skimmer as well which adds to the stress of the glass. So in this respect, I have to say to please err on the side of caution

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

is there any way to salvage the tank now? like an external brace or something, maybe some tape that can go around the rim and base?

Ian's Tank Setup

Tank: 3x1x1.5 Tank

Lighting: Aquazonic 6x39watts T5

Filter: Jebao 304 cannister

Skimmer: Boyu DG-1520

Chiller: Hailea HC-300A

Wave: Sunsun JVP-101

• SRC Member

is there any way to salvage the tank now? like an external brace or something, maybe some tape that can go around the rim and base?

Bro,

IMO,there is nothing much you can do now as far as the tank thickness is concerned other than change to a thicker one (at least 12mm). Not only for the living space, investment or the inhabitant but most importantly for your own safety. :mellow:

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank

Hi bro I have a red sea max 130 for sale stock with coral & fish $850 price neg arrange for viewing if you are interested.Coral & fish healthy and blooming . Tank history 9 month location near Sembawang MRT 5 min walk.

ok so i guess there is nothing i can do about the tank for now other than buy another one with thicker glass so i guess that will have to wait a year. Apart from that been cyclying now 1 week crab which i cant catch still alive and kicking, added market prawns and levels are as follows pH7.8, Ammonia 3.0ppm, Nitrate 25(high)-5.0(low)ppm. anyone can tell me where to go from here?

Ian's Tank Setup

• SRC Member

ok so i guess there is nothing i can do about the tank for now other than buy another one with thicker glass so i guess that will have to wait a year. Apart from that been cyclying now 1 week crab which i cant catch still alive and kicking, added market prawns and levels are as follows pH7.8, Ammonia 3.0ppm, Nitrate 25(high)-5.0(low)ppm. anyone can tell me where to go from here?

Ian, things you can do from now:-

1. Wait...wait... and wait..

2. Watch the pods... you may find them boring, i found them interesting tho'

3. Search through the forum, especially the newbie section and read'em...

4. Test your water parameters

5. And tells us more about your tank after couple weeks or so.

>>

yeah gonna monitor and keep adding prawns to hasten the process from ammonia to nitrate, but was just wondering what else i can do or if there is anything needed to be done with the levels i posted earlier. thanks and really appreciate all the comments and feedback.

Ian's Tank Setup

• SRC Supporter

Patient is the key to success in this hobby, just wait for the tank to cycle for about a month and continue to check the cycling process . After cycling is done, do a major water change and you can start putting in your first live stock !

• SRC Member

There was a reefer who use the same size tank and thickness as yours. In a month time, the tank has warped so much it was a safety risk. Best advise is to stop everything and save up for a proper setup. Someone who you love so much could be standing in front of the tank and if it was to give way at that point of time, no amount of regret is worth it. And when this happen while the electricity is still operating, think of what water and electricity combination can do to a person.

All in all, many has voice out their concern to your situation. In my humble opinion, 6mm tank is not for saltwater. Reality, you were taken for a ride. There is only so much we can advice, it is your call at the end of the day. Whatever happen from here on end, it has become your responsibility. To listen or not, that is your choice. You alone will shoulder the outcome.