Moorish Idol

dradttg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I saw 3 in the LFS and decided to buy 1 home....was thinking to get all 3, but my tank definitely too small.

Wat 'force' me to buy was bec they are all in those white form box! :angry: so, hoping that I could get them survived.

If I dun try to get them home, I think they will definitely be gone in the farm.

• SRC Member

Flubber,

A very experienced commercial marine guy told me that the biggest problem with them is that they are initially very shy so they often get bullied by the more established tank members and thus do not eat. Best way to establish them is to have 1/2 a dozen introduced as the first fish in the tank....and since you are just re-setting up your tank, it may be the best time to get some ;) You may eventually end up with one due to aggression but hopefully you get a pair ;) Oh...of course, you also have to make sure they are not cyanide caught.....otherwise nothing but prayer will help...

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Hi there,

I have one morrish Idol in my reef tank, there are pros and cons, I must agree that this is a very beauty fish, it's color so vibrient and swimming so gracefully.

I have read a book that Morrish is being 2nd grade most difficult fish in the eco-system, 5th grade being the easiest. We can imagine this is not an easy task to keep if you do not have the right environment, i.e. water condition; competability of your tank community, the most difficulty is that Morrish does not eat easily in our tank, if it refuses to eat at the beginning, that's it.

Make sure you witness the successful feeding at the shop before you pick up one. Many people tends to buy the appearance of the fish and forgo the willingness to eat. My friend bought one which looks extremely beautiful but ignored the food in front, his died in about a week. Beside, Morrish is very prone to white spot when they are in the new environment. Your tank water condition must be close to perfect before you are temped to introduce this fish.

My Morrish eats almost anything I put into the tank, such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, dry food, pellet food, sea weed etc. Her diet is so wide that she even pecking my meat corals.

Here is the pisture of my Morrish :whistle

Chipson1

post-7-1078226008.jpg

• SRC Member

like tat oso can? sorrie i mean when will it be remove? is there a particular type of coral they will peck?

I will have to wait and see, I guess eventually I will have to give my meat if I decide to keep th Morrish.

• SRC Member
I will have to wait and see, I guess eventually I will have to give my meat if I decide to keep th Morrish.

oh...I see a potential partner for my current one! :P

joke aside...do you think that by having a eating IM in your tank, she will led any newly introduced IM to eat?

btw, how big is your tank? I saw many of my favorite tangs in your tank... :D

• SRC Member

Good question ;) I think we have all experienced one of same family species in the same community will become a leader if she is not territorial, the followers will follow the leader even in feeding in our home reef.