newbie here, need advise for a 34l oceanfree nano.

hi guys, wishing all a happy new year!

Need advise, ive got a 34l oceanfree nano which have been running on IOS and a dymax iq skimmer for the past 4 months. Only have one true perc clown and one electric blue hermit crab . When i got my clown 3 months ago, and first placed it in the tank, i noticed it only swims near the surface towards the back of the tank. First, i tought its because of poor water quality but i already completed the cycle and tested to make sure, water quality is fine. Then i tought its because of low levels of oxygen so i increased the surface flow from the return pump. my salinity is kept at 0.21 and temperature from 26-27 throughout the day. i also added a wavemaker to create more flow at the bottom

3 months has passed and my clownfish is still swimming near to the surface! it dosent swin below to my live rocks are unless it sees some food there, then swins back to the surface. It looks healhty and no sings of diseases. So i tought maybe its that particular fishes behavior. So today i got another clown clown and noticed that it swins at the same area together with my existing clown (near to the surface). Anyone can tell me why is this so? Both look healthy. I do a 10% wc weekly.

Btw, i used to have a damsel 3 months ago. which was totally the opposite and swam everywhere in the tank but i removed it after a few days as it was agressive towards my clown.

I really donw know whether theres any problem with my tank such that that my clowns keep swiming near the surface. Can anyone advise? cheers

!post-0-0-90965800-1356944325_thumb.jpeg

• SRC Member

I think because they dont have a home. They will feel much better if they have a coral to host on.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Try tilt the wake maker upward .. The clownfish might swim down .

• Like 1

System 45 - 1.5 ft cube with sump

Vortech MP 10

Maxspect Nano Razor 60W

BM Nac 3.5 Skimmer

BM MF70 reactor - Rowaphos

Phosban reactor 150 - NP Biopellet

Hailea chiller HS 28A

Newbie_David

I think because they dont have a home. They will feel much better if they have a coral to host on.

Agreed with mini reefer . Give them something to host ... Can be anemone or leather .. Cheers .

System 45 - 1.5 ft cube with sump

Vortech MP 10

Maxspect Nano Razor 60W

BM Nac 3.5 Skimmer

BM MF70 reactor - Rowaphos

Phosban reactor 150 - NP Biopellet

Hailea chiller HS 28A

Newbie_David

Leather? Normal $1 clown like what kind of leather? Will leather move around like anemone?

Leather dont move. But there is no guarantee that a clownfish will host in it...sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on individual.

Other options include elegance coral, frogspawn coral, hammer coral... but again depends on individual...

• SRC Member
hmmm thx guys! will be getting some low tech corals for them to host ! Anyone has ever used this oceanfree nano? any advise on modifications besides upgrading the stock lighting? Much appreciated thanks:)

I have the 34liters one in my office, stock lights, return pump and media (in the boxes in the ios) should change, also u might wanna add a hob filter for extra media in(eg carbon, gfo) and water movement... You will be surprise what this small tank can yield u with proper management ;)

:: just a noob ::

I have the 34liters one in my office, stock lights, return pump and media (in the boxes in the ios) should change, also u might wanna add a hob filter for extra media in(eg carbon, gfo) and water movement... You will be surprise what this small tank can yield u with proper management ;)

hmmm...think I'm gna change the return pump... btw what pump you changed to?

• SRC Member

Leather dont move. But there is no guarantee that a clownfish will host in it...sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on individual.

Other options include elegance coral, frogspawn coral, hammer coral... but again depends on individual...

Thought there will be a preference.

Latest update... bought a small fake anemone from aquastar temporarily and one of them seems to be hosting on it... will be using it untill I can figure out how to keep temperatures low and stable before getting corals for them to host on.

• SRC Member

Thought there will be a preference.

I think its a natural preference like maroon clown to bta, but for cultivated clowns, dun think they even have to instinct to host esp when they have no examples to see

• SRC Member
Latest update... bought a small fake anemone from aquastar temporarily and one of them seems to be hosting on it... will be using it untill I can figure out how to keep temperatures low and stable before getting corals for them to host on.

What's a fake anemone? I think can get clip on fan but do not small tank need regular water top-ups

hi guys, wishing all a happy new year!

Need advise, ive got a 34l oceanfree nano which have been running on IOS and a dymax iq skimmer for the past 4 months. Only have one true perc clown and one electric blue hermit crab . When i got my clown 3 months ago, and first placed it in the tank, i noticed it only swims near the surface towards the back of the tank. First, i tought its because of poor water quality but i already completed the cycle and tested to make sure, water quality is fine. Then i tought its because of low levels of oxygen so i increased the surface flow from the return pump. my salinity is kept at 0.21 and temperature from 26-27 throughout the day. i also added a wavemaker to create more flow at the bottom

3 months has passed and my clownfish is still swimming near to the surface! it dosent swin below to my live rocks are unless it sees some food there, then swins back to the surface. It looks healhty and no sings of diseases. So i tought maybe its that particular fishes behavior. So today i got another clown clown and noticed that it swins at the same area together with my existing clown (near to the surface). Anyone can tell me why is this so? Both look healthy. I do a 10% wc weekly.

Btw, i used to have a damsel 3 months ago. which was totally the opposite and swam everywhere in the tank but i removed it after a few days as it was agressive towards my clown.

I really donw know whether theres any problem with my tank such that that my clowns keep swiming near the surface. Can anyone advise? cheers

!post-0-0-90965800-1356944325_thumb.jpeg

Some clowns are surface swimmers unless they have a anemone to host.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

What's a fake anemone? I think can get clip on fan but do not small tank need regular water top-ups

What I meant was a artificial anemone... Like a rubber thingy, one of the clowns seems to be hosting on it pretty well but have since removed it because I think the base is slightly metallic and don want to take the risk of any corrosion.