How to cut off "stem" of frag plug

illumnae

• SRC Member

I've glued my ricordea/yuma onto FragX frag plugs, and would like to glue them onto my live rock. However, to do so, I will need to chop off the "stem" of my frag plug so that I can glue the base nicely onto my rocks. I've tried using small garden shears to cut and pliers to break, but neither worked. Anyone can recommend any equipment to cut, and where to buy such equipment? Will the SPS cutters sold by MadPetz work?

Portion I want to cut off as circled in image below:

FragPlug_zps3830d467.jpg

• SRC Member

I've glued my ricordea/yuma onto FragX frag plugs, and would like to glue them onto my live rock. However, to do so, I will need to chop off the "stem" of my frag plug so that I can glue the base nicely onto my rocks. I've tried using small garden shears to cut and pliers to break, but neither worked. Anyone can recommend any equipment to cut, and where to buy such equipment? Will the SPS cutters sold by MadPetz work?

Portion I want to cut off as circled in image below:

FragPlug_zps3830d467.jpg

There is a specia tool that reefer used to but this stem off....you can google for fragging tools. Alternatively, you can buy cutter from dIY shop...it works the same way.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Thairun sells DIY frag plugs with self attached acrylic stems which you can glue on. When you want to glue the plugs on to your lrs, just break the stems off to be re-used.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

It's all about technique, pilers is good enough. 1. You don't cut the stem like cutting paper, you don't cut through. 2. How lumber jack cut trees is how you cut the stem. They chop a small part of the tree and let the weight do the trick. 3. Focus the pliers cutting point on a small part of the stem, especially on the edge of the stem. Use the focal point as the force of the pliers to break the stem. If need a demo I can do a whatsapp for you.

• SRC Member

use Frag X Fragging cutter. takes little effort to make a clean cut to the frag plug stem.

46f44d8fd0622dfe00729a78b9525401.image.3

if you are able to make about 2 or 3 cuts from the each stem, can reuse them as mini frag plug to glue sps or zoas frags too..

i usually use a little glue to place them on normal frag plugs till they stabilize and then break the mini plugs from the normal plugs to glue them on live rocks. it will be nice and neat and barely visible.

canvas_zpsf749b162.jpg

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

• SRC Member

Thanks all for your suggestions! Wanted to go buy a FragX cutter, but MadPetz was out of stock with no new stock coming in till after CNY. What I ended up doing was trying out the small shears from my toolbox again. Instead of just trying to cut through the entire stem, I applied force, then rotated abit, applied force again till i get a "bite" into the stem, then rotate abit again so on and so forth. After awhile, the stem gave way from the applied force from all angles (I think each time I got a "bite" from the shears, a small crack was created inside the stem, which eventually joined up and weakened the entire structure) and cracked off.

Was time consuming and my hand hurts now, but I finally removed the stems from all 5 frag plugs!

Now just need to wait for my ricordeas to recover from the stress of being removed from the water and manhandled, and I will glue them in place to create my ricordea/yuma garden!