some hate it, some love it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Q :Erm so how do we maintain them :)

A :Simply have a species tank.... snadbed and a few liverocks will do....

Q : what they eat ? DO they eat anyting in sight and kill it ?

A : That depends on what kinf they are.... mantis comes in 2 kinds... spearers and smashers...

Spearers go after soft body creatures while smashers usually goes after shelled prey...

Q : thus they are very hardy right?

A : Yes, very hardy

Q : will they fight in pairs or more then 1?

A : Depends on species and space....

If there is a size mismatch... the larger normally eats the smaller ones.....

BTW, Coelacanth,

I jus got a Peacock ....... greenish hue body about 4 inches large. Thanks to fellow reefer who help me get it.... ;)

• SRC Member

Saw two mantis at both coral farm & 110 LCK....both at least 3" long :o

those who are interested can go there :nuke:

if u r at LCK...ask the ah pek to tell u a mantis story :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: mantis story wif brandy :o anyone knows wat i mean :yeah: Rumour!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Thanks Phang for the reply :)

BUt if we are cleaning up the tanks will it attack us ? i mean our hands & fingers :evil:

Well,

I have a 4 inch in a acylic tank.... seen it trying to get out by continously whacking ..... very loud....

If you wouyld hear those cracks...... you wouldn't be interested to put your fingers in there...

I wouldn't........ these shrimps aren't called thumb splitters for nothing...... :heh:

• SRC Member

Tango, the ID'c correct.... but strange ... they stated it as a Large Polyp specimen when its suppose to be a SPS.....

BTW, Reefers who are interested in Mantis Shrimps... esp a a large specimen..... learn this lesson good... that is, acrylic based tanks/cotainers will not contain a large Mantis....

Came back tonite only to find my 4 inch Peacock in my sump compartment.... he actually managed to break open the acrylic container and ran out....... :cry:

BTW, Coelacanth,

I jus got a Peacock ....... greenish hue body about 4 inches large. Thanks to fellow reefer who help me get it.... ;)

Welcome to the mantis club! :upsidedown:

actually a lot of hobbyist are attracted to mantis shrimp, only when they learnt that they are not friendly dat turn them off. But one thing that is unusual, they are stress free! :ooh:

so, they can be used as a beginner's pet to crustacean keeping ... i mean in terms of hardiness. dun ever let it wack ur finger...especially ur middle finger. :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Tango, the ID'c correct.... but strange ... they stated it as a Large Polyp specimen when its suppose to be a SPS.....

BTW, Reefers who are interested in Mantis Shrimps... esp a a large specimen..... learn this lesson good... that is, acrylic based tanks/cotainers will not contain a large Mantis....

Came back tonite only to find my 4 inch Peacock in my sump compartment.... he actually managed to break open the acrylic container and ran out....... :cry:

Wow.. Phang.. I think you need a new tank.. Bullet Proof glass...

Hehehe

Here's another price of info:

"In captivity, stomatopods are capable of breaking the double-paned safety glass of the aquariums that house. The impact force of one large Californian species is almost as powerful as a .22 caliber bullet. By weight, they rank among the most formidable animals on Earth."

Further reading for the misguided...hehehe

• SRC Member

Ja, but the .22 bullet is so weak that a pair of Oakleys can stop it. Serious!

.223 Nato is a different story.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Try having that at point-blank range on your little pinkie :pinch:

Gotta admit, that is gonna hurt ... ;)

Ja! But that's dumb! :yeah:

I've been shot at before at the range and the misfired round landed 3" from my right knee. Heard the ricochet when it bounced off the metal pillar and wizzing sound of the round. Damn cool! Left a hole 2" wide and 1" deep on the concrete floor beside me.

Anyway, the power of the mantis shrimp is proportionate to the size. Small ones are very powerful but the foot long ones are scary.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif