declorinated tap water salt mix

Other than declorinating your tap water, tap water contains unwanted organic, nutrients and harmful heavy metals that u might want to take note of. Long term usage might lead to algae bloom on your live rocks inside your tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Tap water also contained nirate, nitrite and phophate and some other minerals that might not good for your tank. Ro water or distilled water still the best. Install a RO unit or can purchase distilled water from market. My 2 cents.

If its those filtered nsw, then shd be fine as long as u tune your ca, kh and mg to acceptable range as nsw tends to be on a lower range.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

It's all about striking a balance between import and export of nutrients. If you choose to use tap water, just be prepared to do more to export the nutrients via other means of filtration. For example, there are many people who uses tap water, but use an algae scrubber to export nutrients.

• Like 1

It's all about striking a balance between import and export of nutrients. If you choose to use tap water, just be prepared to do more to export the nutrients via other means of filtration. For example, there are many people who uses tap water, but use an algae scrubber to export nutrients.

Agreed. Last time when I was keeping sps, also using tapwater. Only once in a blue moon then I use rodi water. but no algae bloom.

I utilised gfo, carbon and heavy skimming with monthly 10% water change.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

To advocate and endorse using tap water in salt water mixed for reef tank is definitely the wrong direction and ill advice for new reefers.

Tap water condition differs in different location in Singapore.

Advanced and seniors reefers have the experience and the ability to rectify the situation if something goes wrong in the tank.

Reefers have different reef tanks that require different water quality.

To have countless problems related to water condition and fail when starting a reefing hobby can be very demoralising and unnecessary.

So do it right the first time.

Rgds,

mike

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I've tested my tap water before to be tds value of 60ppm, 5ppm of nitrate and 0ppm phosphate. I using api test kit so it may not even been accurate though.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• 2 weeks later...

Tap water contains chlorine and will kill the good bacteria in the tank. No point cycling if you want to kill off the bacteria. Use RODI/distilled water rather than dechlorinate as this is putting more chemicals into that already have alot in the tap water.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED