DIY clip on MH 150W DE

Cookiemunster

• SRC Member

Hi

just wanted to share a really simple to DIY and very very cheap solution to having MH lighting for your tank.

Presently I am using this as a supplement to the exisitng light hood I am already using. This MH set is sold by Orgasbt. Its similar to the Victron set but unfortunately Victron set does not include the UV glass. Orgasbt charges a little extra for getting the UV glass and delivering to you. I bought my set from him for $80. You still need to do the L/N/E wiring.

I used the $4.90 plastic lights sold at IKEA. I dismantled the light and used the plastic g clamp. It is totally plastic and very strong. The total cost of this clip on MH is only less than $90.

Please note I am not selling it neither am I DIYing it for others. Please pm Orgasbt if you wish to buy the set. You need to wire it up and get the g clamps yourself though.

A few brothers asked me for a solution to a hang on MH.....and a cheap one too....so here it is. This is for Bawater, Rumor and Deepblue.

post-9-1075733748.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Nipple orientation? Hmmm I always thought it should be pointing towards your corals......well that was what edwin placed on for me when I bought the RIGA. :blink:

I dun think theres much difference about the direction of the nipple is there? Anyone with more info about this?

As for orientation of light it shouldn't be a concern as many wall fixtures allow for such 45 degree orientations. Even the parks use their mh lighting upside down and at 45 degrees facing the trees. So I guess orientation doesn't really matter.

• SRC Member
i placed the nipple upwards leh...meaning non nipple side facing the water surface...

hmm.... :unsure:

How much you bought for the IKEA holder? Tot of clipping two more MH on my DIY hanger.

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
Thanks for the tips guys. Nipple orientation? Hmmm I always thought it should be pointing towards your corals......well that was what edwin placed on for me when I bought the RIGA. :blink:

I dun think theres much difference about the direction of the nipple is there? Anyone with more info about this?

As for orientation of light it shouldn't be a concern as many wall fixtures allow for such 45 degree orientations. Even the parks use their mh lighting upside down and at 45 degrees facing the trees. So I guess orientation doesn't really matter.

it does matter, as the halide gas might solidify and settle into the nipple. This might cause the halide gas unable to ignite and burn properly.

I'm not sure abt the burning orientation of BLV DE bulbs but my BLV 10000K SE bulb do have a +/- 45degrees orientation so the nipple must always be facing the left or the right side.

HPS lightings and IWASAKI bulbs have a universal burning orientation which means it can be operated in any position.

The nipple on a glass bulb is on the body itself. You will a tiny bump in the middle of the glass envelope. That's the nipple.

It should be pointed upwards so that the smooth body of the bulb should face the water.

If the nipple is facing the water, you may even cast a small round shadow into the tank. ;)

• SRC Member

The nipple only applies to DE bulbs. All DE bulbs have a molded end on one side of the middle of the DE bulb. Its a small nobbly thing.

I am using it nipple face down towards tank. So far my bulbs have no worse off performance neither have the colour changed. I have tried on BLV and SAKI now for about 9 months. But don't see any difference. And I certainly dun see a shadow of a giant nipple in the tank. hahaha :lol:

However, I will try to face it upwards the next time I change bulbs to see if there is any difference. :look:

There isn't any 250W version. Unfortunately. I was hoping to find it too. But only way is to DIY and change the bulb holder. However, I was not sure the light casing can take the heat so I decided to stick with 150W.

The exposed wires are a danger no doubt but if you know what you are doing, it should be safe. The live neutral is not exposed and the entire casing is earthed because I use a three pin plug with earth wiring. On the contrary, the open back helps to keep heat away from the water surface....and no light shines backwards out of the light casing.

• SRC Member

I might be safer if the wires are placed in a rubber tube. These will decrease the risk of electrical fault caused by accidental splashes.

This is a very good idea for those who have space constraint. I'm thinking on doing this myself. Does the G-clamp able to support the fitting? I'm worried that it may slip downwards into the water.

• SRC Member
I might be safer if the wires are placed in a rubber tube. These will decrease the risk of electrical fault caused by accidental splashes.

This is a very good idea for those who have space constraint. I'm thinking on doing this myself. Does the G-clamp able to support the fitting? I'm worried that it may slip downwards into the water.

true... even for clipon my fan. Its bought off shelf and rubber insulated. I accidentally poured water on it (the connecting part) while topping up water. Gave me a fright. The cable gave out sparks and burnt smell... quickily turned off.

Imagine if I'm not at home and water splashed onto it. Probably burn the house down.

non insulated, super high risk.. :blink:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

yes of course, using heat shrink would be best. It would provide splash proof protection. I didn't do it cos I was lazy. :P:fear:

But I would recommend it for safety. I will probably do it one of these days.

The plastic g clamps are great!!! And very cheap!!! They have a slight rubber tip so slipping is not really possible. I used 2 clamps to be safe but actually even with just 1 clamp on one side was enough to hold it in place. And because of the angle, it can still hang on even if the screw in part breaks.

Of course I have to add.....pls do this at your own risk. If you want safe, go look for the nice clip on by eaquarist. The dymax really looks nice and cool! ;)