Flame angel with a white mouth.

• SRC Member

Hi,I just got a flame angel yesterday...And I noticed it had a white mouth(The upper lip).I just hope it will not die because that was exactly what happened.It had a white mouth,Started to swell up,Bad ich infection and the next day...Dead.Help will be appreciated!I really don't want to see it die...Again.

steak pls

• SRC Member
Hi,I just got a flame angel yesterday...And I noticed it had a white mouth(The upper lip).I just hope it will not die because that was exactly what happened.It had a white mouth,Started to swell up,Bad ich infection and the next day...Dead.Help will be appreciated!I really don't want to see it die...Again.
Probably need to put in quarantine tank n dose with some Medication for ich. Maybe someone with similar experience can advice u better.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

HI TS.. how is ur flame angel doing? i noticed mine has a white mouth too but so far it looks normal except it isnt feeding on frozen brine yet. mayb its the choice of food. Hope ur angel will survive!

Normally it is not recommended to buy fishes which is discolored. It might be injured during the process of catching it. It will heal and colour will return uf it is eating well and water parameters are good. Do a short hyposalinity of 1.008-1.009 for a 1 week or so. Flame angel cannot stand long periods of hypo normally. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Injured mouth normally have problem feeding.......its something like having ulcer on the lips and trying to eat. Humans die die will eat but fishes usually die off in a short while for not eating and diseases weaken them. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

My flame angel also had similar ich symtoms a few days after getting it. Body had some minor outbreak too.

As i could not catch it out from my reef tank, had to leave it in there.

Luckily for me it was eating and i tempted it to continue eating by putting garlic in food - donno how helpful it was but at least it continued eating n after a week or so, the minor ich and white area from the mouth was gone. Guess it depends on the fish immunity too in fighting it off.

Injured mouth normally have problem feeding.......its something like having ulcer on the lips and trying to eat. Humans die die will eat but fishes usually die off in a short while for not eating and diseases weaken them. Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
I suspect it is mouth rot. You may try some external bacteria medicine.

Is the mouth white only? What about the cheek area? Notice flame angel with whitish cheek are usually difficult to make it through. Meanwhile, you may want to change more water and add in yellow powder. Feed with vitamin soaked food too to boost the immunity.

• 2 weeks later...