Hermit Crab Shell

• SRC Member

Just ask around. I'm quite sure LFS or people here have some dead snails or empty shells to offer. What size are you looking at?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Size ah...very hard to tell leh. You want the size for the whole shell or just the entrance? I tried asking a few shops, no shells :(

Can I use empty apple snails (fresh water) shells? Apple snail shells are quite thin and brittle though. I'm also thinking of making my own with clay but not sure if its feasible :P

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• SRC Member

I bot this packet of decorative shells from a bookshop... throw them in, but the hermit after inspecting all of them, decides to stick with its own. For once , it did leave its shell to occupy one of the new shell, but after awhile it moves back to its shell...

Conclusion, they can be quite fussy... so do consider about making the shells.. might not worth the effort

• SRC Member

y not try the seaside to look for some abandon shells :unsure: there might be plentiful of empty shells of all shapes & sizes...but questions is...whether they are safe to use?or how can we clean the interior part to get rid of possible parasites/worms tat might be hiding inside the shell :blink:

The seasides in Singapore....no shells leh. I go to East Coast quite often but no luck. Which bookstore did you get your shells? Maybe steal some when I go diving....hope no one else notice. Maybe while diving also steal some small starfish...hmmm...evil thoughts brewing in my mind liao :P

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

Guys, go the market... go and buy those sea snail, locally called 'zhoo zhoot' or is it called 'lala', it's those type where you have to use a toothpick to dig out the foot of the snail and once you can grab hold of the claw-shaped hard protective 'opening cover', you can pull out the entire sea snail... slurp!!! Yum!!

The shell is white in colour.

Sorry, that's the best I can describe!

• SRC Member
The seasides in Singapore....no shells leh. I go to East Coast quite often but no luck. Which bookstore did you get your shells? Maybe steal some when I go diving....hope no one else notice. Maybe while diving also steal some small starfish...hmmm...evil thoughts brewing in my mind liao :P

I happen to be shopping at art friend in bras basah when i see the shells... so you can try your luck there

• SRC Member

sorry slightly diff topic

i would like to get those dwarf hermit crabs with orange legs i saw at Marinelife. seems like they won't grow any much bigger thus wont need a new shell? Is this true?

Will they kill my cleaner shrimp and astrea snail? It took me a great effort to get my cleaner shrimp and i don't want it dead.

• SRC Member

'Lah-lah' are clams. The 'gon-gon' is a kind of whelk but the hermits find the shell too heavy and don't like it unless it is a large crab. My hermits prefer Astrea and Trochus shells.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

LOL!

Tanzy... it's been a long time since I have ordered lalas or gong gongs for seafood! :) Kinda mixed up the local names...

My hermits are using the gong-gong shells... :)

Blueterror.... no guarantees with hermits... even the reefsafe ones can become unpredictable.

Ron Shimek hates them.

• SRC Member
sorry slightly diff topic

i would like to get those dwarf hermit crabs with orange legs i saw at Marinelife. seems like they won't grow any much bigger thus wont need a new shell? Is this true?

Will they kill my cleaner shrimp and astrea snail? It took me a great effort to get my cleaner shrimp and i don't want it dead.

Are the hermit crabs shell purple in color??? It has specs of orange on its legs also... I got 3 from them, but one killed one of the astrea, lived in its shell for a day and died... why? I dunno.. maybe due to snail poisoning?? :sick:

anyway the remaining 2 has been in my tank with 2 astrea for quite soemtime.. nothing really happened though... try to get a bigger hermit and smaller snail so that the hermit would not eye the snails home....

My hermit doesnt touch the cleaner that I have. :look:

• SRC Member

Your hermits are Godzilla size thats why they can hump that gon gon shell around!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you know there's a store called Spotlight just next to the Tampines MRT station? It's below Challenger (the computer store). The section facing the casheirs is a whole section selling clean sea shells. Some of them will be readily accepted by hermits. Bad thing is that you have to buy the shells in packets so alot of shells at once but they're realtively cheap. I used to use them for my blue hermits and they love the shells. :look: