Nano Tank suggestions anyone?

taylapong

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at coming back into the hobby... gave up a few years ago... was thinking of going Nano, but the number of tanks out there is phenomenal... wanted to ask all you experienced reefers if you've any suggestions...

I've got a few combinations that I'm considering, but please feel free to add to this if you have suggestions!

Combo 1: ADA tank with HOB filter

Combo 2: Custom made nano with IOS filtration

Combo 3: Ehiem Aquastyle Aquarium, modifying LED lights.

Basically I want to keep things small, neat, and clutter free, so I'm leaning towards frequent water changes as opposed to getting the works like a protein skimmer, FR etc. Probably nothing too big, max 1.5ft kind size.

Please share your advice and where I can get them!!

• Like 1

Wow the cube mini sure is a beauty man. Definitely something to aim for. I was thinking more table top up to 1.5ft.

If I do go for ADA which filtration is recommended? HOB? Canister? IOS (DIY with some silicone)? Internal filter?

Anyone tried the aquastyle?

Well, I was thinking of just using a fan or possibly an ice probe (if available)

I love simplicity- love the lure of bonsai inspired reefs or even the upside down concept reef (http://reefbuilders.com/2010/07/31/upside-nano-reef-john-ciotti/). Long way to go in terms of aquascaping skills but gotta start somewhere!!

What filtration would you go with if I got an ADA?

• SRC Member

A good hang-on filter would be sufficient, but if you are the type that would religiously perform water changes and siphon dirt off from the tank bottom, you can even do without a filter. Just lights and water movement. Live rocks is a must thought, as they will act as your natural bio filter.

Hi taylapong

I got a used ADA and thinking of the best way to utilize it for marine.

Minimalist method would be overflow to the sump and have all the equip in the sump but 2ft tank to have a sump seems like overkill. Hence thinking of using a canister but will need a HOB skimmer.

Looking towards you setting up you tank :)

Hi taylapong

Minimalist method would be overflow to the sump and have all the equip in the sump but 2ft tank to have a sump seems like overkill. Hence thinking of using a canister but will need a HOB skimmer.

Canister you might want to invest in those eheim gate valves and good bio filtration media like siporax or bio home. Open up the canister to clean it up once a while.

Invest in good liverocks as well.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Hi taylapong

IMO, get a reef octopus or skimz overflow box, DIY a 2ft five plan tank as sump, and keep all your equipments there.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

IMO, get a reef octopus or skimz overflow box, DIY a 2ft five plan tank as sump, and keep all your equipments there.

agree with this..... looks nicer and u can use more equipment + most importantly to me...increase water capacity. problem with nano tank is how sensitive the tank can be. increasing water capacity would safe guard ur ass......only thing is if over stock and water from sump cant flow to tank....got problem liao...haha

my tank just crashed today morning when power trip causing water from sump not to go back to tank...now all fishy dead :(

moment i manage to get flow to work my lps and zoas starts to look good :)

Wow nicreef, sorry to hear man. Didn't know things would get so drastic when the pump stopped!! I wasn't planning to stock mine up crazy eithe but that's a lesson for me to learn man. I wasn't thinking of sump cos I want a table top tank. Something small, simple, almost zen, y'know? I'll def be careful against overstocking! Was wondering if any reefers had experience with HOB and nano tanks. Good idea? Sustainable? I quite like the IOS approach too but that'll take more DIY.

Thanks for the input evolutionz... I went to check out the overflow box online. Quite a neat idea! Except I'm trying to keep things really simple and only have a table too to work with. Let me sit on this a little and dream up some stuff. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I read quite often that the Skimz overflow box commonly has the bubble problem, causing that siphon to stop. Just be mindful if you are getting it.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

I read quite often that the Skimz overflow box commonly has the bubble problem, causing that siphon to stop. Just be mindful if you are getting it.

i agree..i am using it right now...

1st day i got it they dint give me the better air stopper (not sure if this is what it's called). the overflow stopped working with a few hours. :chair:

went back to complain and they gave me a better one end up have to suck air out every 2 days :thumbdown: ......finally sealed up the openings from air tube to overflow box and its ok. for the last 1 week+. At the rate the bubble is growing i estimate it to 1 month must suck air once hehe.

BTW bro...just saw that i going to place the tank on the table??? if so is it a wooden table??

if it is what quality is the wood?

i had to replace my table (and it is not easy...got to empty tank etc etc etc) a month or 2 back because water damaged the wood. Just today i realize the replacement got water seep in again :chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair: ...lol

I'm using a normal 2feet tank powered by LED lights. Filtration system is a HOB RIO nano skimmer and eHeim Compact60 filter. Managed to add in a nano wavemaker as well. Water is cooled using a Dymax vortex cooling fan. Daytime temperature can go up to as high as 28.x C. So it is still possible to keep corals in this tank. Daily top up is necessary as evaporation is caused by fan. I do weekly 30% water change. Water conditional and other trace elements etc. is a must if you keep corals. The only gripe is that tangs don't do well in my tank. Guess it's too small for them. A picture tells a thousand words.

E2032DDE-719B-4D30-A274-E27BC7C6359A-532

My Tank Journey

I'm using a normal 2feet tank powered by LED lights. Filtration system is a HOB RIO nano skimmer and eHeim Compact60 filter. Managed to add in a nano wavemaker as well. Water is cooled using a Dymax vortex cooling fan. Daytime temperature can go up to as high as 28.x C. So it is still possible to keep corals in this tank. Daily top up is necessary as evaporation is caused by fan. I do weekly 30% water change. Water conditional and other trace elements etc. is a must if you keep corals. The only gripe is that tangs don't do well in my tank. Guess it's too small for them. A picture tells a thousand words.

E2032DDE-719B-4D30-A274-E27BC7C6359A-532

Your aquarium is vibrantly colorful and scaped beautifully. It's amazing to know your aquarium runs on so little equipment. The corals look bright and happy. I notice many reefers are now using the Maxspect Razor LED since it throws out such soothing ambient lights and enhances the colours of the reef. It's a shame the tangs didn't do well. Which ones did you try out?

Separately, did you DIY your own tank cover? I see a mesh of sorts, presumably to keep your inhabitants eg. firefish, from flying out?

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Maxspect Gyre

Tunze nano osmolator

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

I saw your thread on your aquarium and the home made cover post! Brilliant.

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Maxspect Gyre

Tunze nano osmolator

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

I saw your thread on your aquarium and the home made cover post! Brilliant.

Thank you. It was made using plastic materials bought from nhood DIY shop. Not fool-proof as smaller fishers may still go thru the hole. But at least i can keep the fire fish and midas blenny from suiciding.

My Tank Journey

Your aquarium is vibrantly colorful and scaped beautifully. It's amazing to know your aquarium runs on so little equipment. The corals look bright and happy. I notice many reefers are now using the Maxspect Razor LED since it throws out such soothing ambient lights and enhances the colours of the reef. It's a shame the tangs didn't do well. Which ones did you try out?

Separately, did you DIY your own tank cover? I see a mesh of sorts, presumably to keep your inhabitants eg. firefish, from flying out?

I tried blue tang, yellow tang, powder tang. Very proned to white spots.

My Tank Journey

• 5 months later...