Help needed. Short circuit in office

nicreef

• SRC Member

Got a call at 6am from my friend telling me that the office electricity got cut due to short circuit....rushed back to see all fish dead n Lps struggling.

Question is my clam. Not sure how it is doing. Anyway to see if it is still alive or dead? Ammonia in tank is dam high now.

Preparing water for wc

• SRC Member

Sorry for the slow post of pic...darn morning...tank crash and while in the midst of trying to do something, the blade i use to frag drop onto my leg from the table...had to go to the clinic...luckily not deep hehe.

anyway here is the pic of the clam. sorry for the blury image but the water is cloudy.

post-19782-0-68894000-1368408627_thumb.j

Sorry for your lost. Hope the surviver will recover soon.

thx bro :)

so far not as bad as i imagined when i received the call. all 5 fishes seems dead. 2 bodies recovered 3 mia. LPS and softies seems to be doing better after the power came back and my sump water went to display tank. anemone is still there too but shrivel up.

was supposed to go down to pay vincent the deposit for my 5 ft tank now got to reconsider liao... based on timer, short circuit started on sat night around 9pm.....

1 1/2 day so much damage liao...if this happen to 5 ft tank loses will be higher....large fish tank in office may not be that good and idea hehe.... + gf will nag me to death.....

• SRC Member

wah.. sorry for your loss bro.. really sad to see this.. think 5ft put at home better lah.. :D

lol just got call from gf stopping my 5ft plans....darn it.....dunno how to tell vincent haiz...even got the rocks ytd....

cannot put at home....parents dun allow...haiz...

• SRC Member

got some better pics... water clearing up after bacteria dose.

post-19782-0-85635600-1368416265_thumb.j

post-19782-0-38411000-1368416273_thumb.j

any clam expert can diagnose how my clam is doing??

on a side note...the aftermath of a busy morning

post-19782-0-24178500-1368416281_thumb.j

Hi,

Just last wk, my four-footer started leaking. It's almost 35yrs old. Well, I transferred all the inhabitants to a spare tank with only an air pump running. I didn't use this pretty new tank 'cos I feel the stand's not well made. So water in the old tank was drained and the silicone came off easily.

Scraped off the algae and remained silicone with a sharpened paint scraper. Didn't use a razor 'cos got cut on previous occasion. Used nail cleaner acetone to clean edges of the tank. Resealed the tank the next day and waited 3dys for everything to dry.

Put back everything in the evening of the 3rd dy and now it's running gd as before. My skimmer did run a bit high but was back to normal at the end of the next day.

IMO I strongly suspect ur tank's system is not fully matured or the content is overstocked.

Good luck.

Finbir

• SRC Member

Like you I have an office tank as well. So far my tank has not suffered any mishaps except for the aircon being turned off over the weekend for maintenance.

I think its a big risk putting such a big tank in the office... you'll never know what will happen during the weekends.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

mantle extension. See does it still open up like b4. It should after some light.

ok. so far he seems better... hopefully by tomorrow he will be ok.

Hi,

Just last wk, my four-footer started leaking. It's almost 35yrs old. Well, I transferred all the inhabitants to a spare tank with only an air pump running. I didn't use this pretty new tank 'cos I feel the stand's not well made. So water in the old tank was drained and the silicone came off easily.

Scraped off the algae and remained silicone with a sharpened paint scraper. Didn't use a razor 'cos got cut on previous occasion. Used nail cleaner acetone to clean edges of the tank. Resealed the tank the next day and waited 3dys for everything to dry.

Put back everything in the evening of the 3rd dy and now it's running gd as before. My skimmer did run a bit high but was back to normal at the end of the next day.

IMO I strongly suspect ur tank's system is not fully matured or the content is overstocked.

Good luck.

Finbir

not sure about the maturity but probably content over stock... thought it would be ok with the additional water capacity from sump and skimmer overkilling by 7 times...but the moment power trip guess that's it...

Like you I have an office tank as well. So far my tank has not suffered any mishaps except for the aircon being turned off over the weekend for maintenance.

I think its a big risk putting such a big tank in the office... you'll never know what will happen during the weekends.

ya i am really re thinking...on top of that gf is pissed lol managed to convince her for the 5ft tank before this on the account of how this tank is doing but now she feels i am wasting too much money....darnnit...

Initial enthusiasm can create disaster. A friend of mine once went on a buying spree despite my advice. His 4 footer was already showing the typical milky water, yet he visited the shops again and again to add to the stress. The result u know.

There is no short cut to a stable system despite the advent of new products. On the other hand, a fully matured tank can even handle an outbreak of white spots, another bane in marine reef keeping.

The best alternative now is to place the remaining live stocks in a temporary holding with aeration while u do a complete water change with natural seawater. As mentioned earlier, if the system is already matured, things should return to normal in a day or two.

Happy reefing.

Finbir.

• SRC Member

Use the feng shui method to get the tank :)

+1 on this method as we got bro having success with this haha.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

Use the feng shui method to get the tank :)

+1 on this method as we got bro having success with this haha.

haha i did! was kinda lucky. she just decided to read my ba zhi for some reason and heng heng it says i lack water and fire :thumbsup:

chances are by end of this mth should be able to go through with the plan =p

The best alternative now is to place the remaining live stocks in a temporary holding with aeration while u do a complete water change with natural seawater. As mentioned earlier, if the system is already matured, things should return to normal in a day or two.

Happy reefing.

Finbir.

on the good news: tank seems ok now. ran a test ytd noon ammonia and no2 down to 0. no3 is high at 35 but i am hoping my bio pellet would solve that. (wanted to test now but test kit solution just ran out). All zoas are opening LPS seems to be ok too except for 1 hammer extenson not yet like before. Anemone also recovering...

on the bad news: clam up seems to be up lorry liao.....no mantle extension at all can see his core. probably will take this time to fill tank with copepods... only life stock before i get my next tank will be a mandarin.

• SRC Member
Got a call at 6am from my friend telling me that the office electricity got cut due to short circuit....rushed back to see all fish dead n Lps struggling. Question is my clam. Not sure how it is doing. Anyway to see if it is still alive or dead? Ammonia in tank is dam high now. Preparing water for wc
so wheres the short circuit?

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

so wheres the short circuit?

honestly no idea.....lol

only know it is probably due to friend fresh water coz his tank leaked water too.

Anyway shit comes together...just realized the wooden table (which i had just replaced a month back or so) which i place my tank on has managed to absorb water despite all the covering with plastic sheets. probably have to change it before tank comes crashing down.....

so bright side is i can use this as an excuse to change to my 5x2.5x1 tank hehehehe.

going for showdown talk later lol

I'm not sure many bosses support or allow such big setups in the office, especially with all the power trips and water leaks, unless they are reefers too. Personally, setting up a 5 feet tank in the office is a huge investment too. Imagine all the equipment, fishes and corals you would be putting in. The water change is going to be challenging as well. Your gf won't be happy that you spend more time in the office on the aquarium. Do think twice on your decision.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

I'm not sure many bosses support or allow such big setups in the office, especially with all the power trips and water leaks, unless they are reefers too. Personally, setting up a 5 feet tank in the office is a huge investment too. Imagine all the equipment, fishes and corals you would be putting in. The water change is going to be challenging as well. Your gf won't be happy that you spend more time in the office on the aquarium. Do think twice on your decision.

the office is shared between me and my friend..just a one man show here so kinda of easy with that...

WC have been 30L weekly (drive from irwana to pandan loop zzz) climb up 3 story(no lift here)....if 4 x 2 x 1 + 3 x 2 x 1 sump est: 393 litre of water...so ard 8% per week....kinda lower than my current WC...

ya investment is huge i understand....but i probably only need a better chiller, 1 more AI vega light set and sand ...

Skimmer is a BM curve 7 so can just port over...rocks i already prepared as bought a box from fellow reefer + rock in sump and current tank....

Lifestock mthly budget so far 500 - 1000....but new tank maybe 200-500 per month and slowly stock...

time wise realize my current 2x1x1 also taking a lot of my time....but it is a mixed problem for my GF coz she knows i need not go office to work but i am not the work at home type. However because of my current fish tank, i am going to office almost everyday lol and she just agreed ytd to my new tank! (thanks to the wooden table expanding due to water and some feng shui stuff but probably cannot go 5 feet liao coz she limited my budget).

To allow notice during power trips, you can buy a device that sms you in event of power trips. My place is prone to power trips during lightning strikes and I get sms alert when this happens. With this notice, I can get back home to reset the circuit breaker and that saves me a lot of trouble. If you need information on this device, you can PM me. Thanks.