How often do you guys need to siphon the air?

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Hi

Was wondering how frequent do you guys need to siphon out the air trapped in the I-box siphon U tube?

I am using a "i-box" method to siphon the water from the main tank to the sump tank and I have to siphon the air out of the U tube 3-4 week once!! or the water overflow from the i-box will slow down!!

Is there anyway to prevent air trap in the U tube?? other than upgrading to a IOS.... :lol:

Lucky the siphon U tube is transparent or I wouldnt know how much air to siphon out!

Sigh!! very time have to suck in some salt water!!!! <_<

Eh...my siphon tube not transparent. But easy for my case. Just submerge the whole U-tube in a tub of water...

use small plastic bags and rubber bands to tie the ends UNDERWATER to remove all traces of air bubbles.

put the siphon back into your I-box before removing the rubberbands and the plastic bags...it's that simple.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Eh...my siphon tube not transparent. But easy for my case. Just submerge the whole U-tube in a tub of water...

use small plastic bags and rubber bands to tie the ends UNDERWATER to remove all traces of air bubbles.

put the siphon back into your I-box before removing the rubberbands and the plastic bags...it's that simple.

that a good idea! but my I-box pretty small so no "hand road" (in hokkien)....Anyway...how often you do that may I ask? :lol:

Erm...the last time I did that was 2 weeks back. I do notice if I dun do so after some time the flow seems to slow down. Not sure whether due to microbubbles forming bubbles in the U-tube or whether due to debri.

• SRC Member

welcome bro to suck club :D

i siphon mine at least twice a week.... u would notice that water dropping from main tank to the internal overflow box has is creating some bubbles? u have to minimize that by clearing ur grating of algea or debris.... aside from which, it is usual to maintain it as there is no total solution to remove it....

as ive advised u previously, get a long hose, around 1.5m long, and this will prevent u to suck saltwater; before the water reaches ur end of the hose, the air has receded from the u-tube.... still lucky u just a single u-tube while i have to deal w double barrel ;)

• SRC Member
Sigh!! very time have to suck in some salt water!!!! 

Hi,

I don't use the I-box but I diy my own siphon to a hang-on-back "dustbin" :P using those transparent plastic tubings... what I do to siphon out the air is to connect a airtube to a 50ml syringe (can get from any pharmacy), stick the tube into the siphon pipe and draw the air out... don't need to drink saltwater... :sick::P

• SRC Member

btw, I don't think the flow would slow down with the bubbles, cause if it slows down then your return pump will suck dry your sump or your main tank will overflow... :) but have to monitor so that the bubble don't get too big to break the siphon, or else really suck dry sump and overflow main tank... :P

I have no fear of my siphon breaking..my tank wun overflow..it has around 10cm of extra margin from the top to collect any 'extra' water.

Only worry is having a burnt out return pump. :lol:

that a good idea! but my I-box pretty small so no "hand road" (in hokkien)....Anyway...how often you do that may I ask? :lol:

Leg Root also bro

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
Hi

Was wondering how frequent do you guys need to siphon out the air trapped in the I-box siphon U tube?

How abt some suggestion from the creator? he will probably have such feedback from his customer, and would have some solutions to it.

I've seen a website using this method.

Look at the red circle portion :

1. drill a 3mm hole.

2. install a air-tube connector/valve (with on/off type) using silicon.

3. connect a air tube.

For normal working of the n-shape hose, the air-tube connector valve is off.

To suck the air out,

1. insert a syringe that can fit tightly into the air hose.

2. turn on the air tube connector. (no water would come out as the top portion is already filled with air.

3. Pull the syringe to suck out the air, and off the air tube connector.

repeat till all air all remove.

:)

post-17-1075944576.jpg

• SRC Member
Moving this to the Marine Aquarium forum.

Please post in the correct forum next time so as to lighten the mod/admin's workload! ;)

My apologies ;)

• SRC Member

How abt some suggestion from the creator? he will probably have such feedback from his customer, and would have some solutions to it.

I've seen a website using this method.

Look at the red circle portion :

1. drill a 3mm hole.

2. install a air-tube connector/valve (with on/off type) using silicon.

3. connect a air tube.

For normal working of the n-shape hose, the air-tube connector valve is off.

To suck the air out,

1. insert a syringe that can fit tightly into the air hose.

2. turn on the air tube connector. (no water would come out as the top portion is already filled with air.

3. Pull the syringe to suck out the air, and off the air tube connector.

repeat till all air all remove.

:)

Hi Nutx

Good idea....but kind of afraid that it might break if not done properly....hesitating......DANGER! :lol:

• SRC Member

WOW! What did I miss! One night didn’t log on.

“Suck Club” That’s a good one! :lol:

As for kschew1498, May I know what brand overflow box your using? There are some design flaws in some designs.

I’m personally using 2 I~Box800 since December 2002. Never had to get rid of micro bubbles, flow was constant and no over flows at all. Only time I had to restart my I~Box was when I had to redo my whole tank. I’m using an Ehiem 1262 return pump and the flow is fast. There for ‘if’ any bubbles gets collected in the Siphon tube, it will get forced out.

Some may ask, why am I not using the clear siphon tube. Answer is simple, algae growth. I’ve been to a LFS over seas and saw a Siphon over flow box using clear siphon tube. (picture attached) The LFS owner complained that he had to clean out the tube very often or it would slow the flow rate a lot.

I’ve also done checks with guy from reef central in the US and they to changed their clear siphon tube to gray or white PVC. And they never had any problems.

post-17-1075950641.jpg

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
Bros

ihad a self made one with two flow tubes. had to suck out the air almost everyweek......sigh

Design is important to get it so called "maintenance free"

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Member

Have been using I~box since July 2003. No problem so far, never once lost siphon, that is for more than 6 months continuous run. Also do not notice any slow down in flow rate. BTW, the flow rate is actually controlled by the return pump, and will only be as fast as the return pump can carry. I am using SICCE IDRA 1300L/hr on a 2ft.

• SRC Member
Have been using I~box since July 2003. No problem so far, never once lost siphon, that is for more than 6 months continuous run. Also do not notice any slow down in flow rate. BTW, the flow rate is actually controlled by the return pump, and will only be as fast as the return pump can carry. I am using SICCE IDRA 1300L/hr on a 2ft.

Not for me leh!

I am using a Astro2000....I think is 1600 or 1800 L/hr for the return and I still have this problem!

A bit fustrating when you have to monitor it every 2-3 days.... <_< Sigh!

By the way, its not from I-box and I bought brand new from another reefer and it was very nicely done up, I mean the "i-box" I bought. Dont think its the design problem.....

Interesting to hear some of you guys do not have this problem....

In any case, I was at Koon Seng LFS last night and I notice this guy uses this method to inter-link all the water with a customer make siphon tube....and I was wondering he must like drinking salt water!! hahahaha :lol:

• SRC Member
to confirm again, your OFB (Overflow box) is not an I-Box ? I~box is a true authenticated original (to be patented) masterpiece by our fellow reefer. B)

what make is your OFB ? maybe some pics would also help.

Here it goes....that my "i-box" I bought from a reefer...its from US. ;) same same as i-box design right??

post-17-1076056277.jpg

• SRC Member

What is your tank dimentions? Just curious.

Our New Address:

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

• SRC Member

not necessary the same design... if yours a CPR there are design fault...

kschew1498, can u take the photo from the top?

The air must come from somewhere. Could be air bubbles being created when water rushing down from yr inflow box. One thing I can think if is to extend the length of yr U tube. The outflow one must be lower than the inflow.

I would be VERY worry if I detect air bubble trapping inside the U tube. The siphon could break anytime... and tank flooded...