First time reefer!! Need advises

Deron Ng

Hi let me first introduce my setup, 4ft by 2ft by 1.5ft rimless tank operating on a sump filtration. Fishes and LPS and softies. Having some problems with some corals. Will explain below

Skimmers: deltec 1350 and aquanaut an60 ( don't ask me why I just happen to have both so use lor)

One skimming the output of the np pellets

FR: 2 times FR 30 running np pellets and po4x4

Lighting: aquazonic ho t5 running on 6 ati tubes 3 blue plus 1 purple plus and 2 coral plus

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5ppm

Phosphate haven measure

Salinatly at 1026

Ph at 8.2

Cal and alk haven measure

Using reef crystals reef salt pictures and below please comment

I have 2 problem.. Brain and prata coral not doing so good dunno why?

2nd is using fr with bio pellets how come nitrate still high lei..

Please advise my setup and tanks picture are below.

post-22772-0-39671600-1374335107_thumb.j

post-22772-0-53394000-1374335122_thumb.j

• SRC Member

For lps, sg dont have to be so high, 1 023 is good enough. What is your tank temperature. Are u using a chiller?

How long have u been using the biopellet? What was the no3 before and after using biopellet?

• SRC Member

3 weeks is still early. Give it some time and monitor. And for the prata, could be the lighting is too bright for it. Try moving to a shade area and monitor. Else u can off 2 tubes. Lps dont need so bright lighting.

Neat setup, keep the pics coming.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

personally i'll keep sg at 1.024-1.025. and do read up on the effects of running 2 skimmers, i would say your deltec is good enough. nice scape and neat sump anyway!

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

I just realize the dr u r running both the same? Not

Too sure but rmb I was advised by lfs I got them from that the fr u r having is more for bio pellet. For po4 he advised me on a different type

personally i'll keep sg at 1.024-1.025. and do read up on the effects of running 2 skimmers, i would say your deltec is good enough. nice scape and neat sump anyway!
Yes I have read somewhere abt that.. But I felt that my deltec is skimming the main water and the an60 skimming the output of the bio pellets.. What's ur feel abt that?

I just realize the dr u r running both the same? Not

Too sure but rmb I was advised by lfs I got them from that the fr u r having is more for bio pellet. For po4 he advised me on a different type

Yes but I buy already.. Haha.. But u see its looking great with po4x4

post-22772-0-69524500-1374409332_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Yes I have read somewhere abt that.. But I felt that my deltec is skimming the main water and the an60 skimming the output of the bio pellets.. What's ur feel abt that?

find out which skimmer perform better for you (darker skimmate) and stick to one IMO.. they both still share the same water.

Anyway your 2 open brain coral looks bleached.. probably lights too bright. shift them away from the centre or under some shade.

• SRC Member

their color looks washed. IME for LPS, if white skeleton start showing, quite hard to save liao. i have lost some green candy cane and acan once the white skeleton starts showing.

• SRC Member

their color looks washed. IME for LPS, if white skeleton start showing, quite hard to save liao. i have lost some green candy cane and acan once the white skeleton starts showing.

agree on that my old plate coral too

agree on that my old plate coral too

I hope I can recover them.. If not my wife going to be pissed off again $$$ down the drain.. Lfs *expletive* ban cannot go anymore... Lol

Some updates.. Have rearrange the rockscape.. Tested water para.. Salinity change to 35ptt.. Nitrates still at 5ppm..

Adding chaeto 2 days ago. Using one 1ft aquazonic hot5 with original supersun 12k bulb is it ok??

Phosphate looks like 0 after testing.. But some corals still doesn't seem happy.. Elegance close up yesterday.. Prata seems better.. Brains also seems improving.. After moving to shaddy area..

Btw also found 1 green bubble algae.. remove the lr alrdy..

So what is the problem?? High nutrients? Or maybe theres ammonia but doesn't seem so as nitrates high...

post-22772-0-25924400-1374845762_thumb.j

post-22772-0-87960000-1374845772_thumb.j

post-22772-0-09540600-1374845783_thumb.j

post-22772-0-92797400-1374845797_thumb.j