Algae scrubber

• SRC Member

Anybody knows where to buy such a contraption ? Thought about DIY but lagi lechey, prefer to get one ready made plug and play one... :P

Try Gemsurfs, one of the sponsers here.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My DIY algae scrubber : a plastic paint tray, a plastic gauze, and LED light. Plastic gauze is roughen, then placed on top of the paint tray. Seed the gauze with some algae. Place the paint tray in the sump in horizontal position. Water from my skimmer and overflow lws over the gauze, then to the sump. LED is above the gauze. LED is on 12 to 14 hours. Grow lots go algae every week. Total cost of paint tray and gauze : $6, from any hardware store.

Thks for sharing.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

My DIY algae scrubber : a plastic paint tray, a plastic gauze, and LED light. Plastic gauze is roughen, then placed on top of the paint tray. Seed the gauze with some algae. Place the paint tray in the sump in horizontal position. Water from my skimmer and overflow lws over the gauze, then to the sump. LED is above the gauze. LED is on 12 to 14 hours. Grow lots go algae every week. Total cost of paint tray and gauze : $6, from any hardware store.

can see photo of your scrubber and what is the led light you use?

• SRC Member

water from skimmer is about 1000 l/h flow (from Eheim 1000 pump)

water from overflow to chiller than to the scrubber

i dun think its a very good idea from chiller to scrubber...simply becoz u will waste more lectricity.

Chiller in my humble opinion shd go back to display. U wan to say maintain temp at 26degree. water get chilled to 26degree but gets"warmed" up again. so the chiller keeps cuting in to maintain the temp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

One thing's 4 sure, the ATS really works if one gets the right combo--see Santa Monica's write-ups. Currently using a diy with a transparent plastic box and original pipe n hanging mat lighted by two Panasonic CFL 25w warm white. The whole set-up's hanging in the sump.

Try it n enjoy the latest revelation in marine aquaria.

I salute Santa Monica 4 showing me a new way 2 enjoy this hobby!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Get a load of this. My ATS is a Ferorro Roche chocolate box with a 20mm piping and a hardware shop matt. It is lighted by two 25w Panasonic warm white and on for 14h daily. A Big Boy supplies the water input. The growth is fantastic and I harvest every fortnightly.

How's that 4 a cheapo diy!

• SRC Member

How about posting a pic for us to admire !

Hi guys,

Get a load of this. My ATS is a Ferorro Roche chocolate box with a 20mm piping and a hardware shop matt. It is lighted by two 25w Panasonic warm white and on for 14h daily. A Big Boy supplies the water input. The growth is fantastic and I harvest every fortnightly.

How's that 4 a cheapo diy!

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

we just change a simplier way. card board, reflective "mat", normal warm light from any shop with contactors. plastic boards found in art shop. Net n wh la! easy to do.

look at my previous post. ite really easy to do. warm light super effective i think. should be able to see result in 1.5 wk.

BTW, the algea very smelly like u are in swamp area.

Ops forgot to mention, you need air pump!

• 3 weeks later...