My New Honeycomb Eels with Tankmate

Jacky2009

Currently i'm passion in moray eel mode especially Honeycomb eel aka tessalata eel cause they are active swimmer (a part of time hide) not like most of eel charactor like to hide in the cave. Just received special order 4 nos of Honeycomb eels from Sri lanka arrived on last 2 weeks.

My current tank only able to hold for 2 more years. Furture need bigger tank to keep all these big guys.

Here some video sharing as below:
My New Honeycomb Eel with Tankmate Part 1

My New Honeycomb Eel with Tankmate Part 2

Thanks for your concern. Most of my fish is growing from juv till now fully adult in this tank. They all healthy and long time with me. In the video's you saw them like jam beside cause they saw me in infront tank take shot. After i left they swim around and they (eel and fishes) never bother each orther at all, off course after few years the eel bigger sure need bigger room to house all of them. The video show all eel swim actively is looking for food on feeding moment. They half of the time love hide in thier cave so there still hv plenty of room to keep my giant fish in this 6ft tank. In future plan to build new tank at size of 12x3x2.5(H) to keep my 4 honeycomb eel which can grow to 5.9ft maximum lenght.

Very nice to watch your tank.

You are not a newbie at all. Looking at your tangs and angels, most of them are very large. That means you have kept it for a long time and the qt tank you have.

Please keep postings and share your experience in the forum.

I saw your other video on feeding MI as well.

Very impressive I must say! But they sure look better with rocks and decor though:D

Hope to see updates soon!

Thanks for your support! :)

My MI currently at QTank without any deco soon finished Q i will take out skimmer and link back to another 2 tank. Furthermore I will setup some simple scenery for them.

Impressive tank and fishes. Wouldn't the eels attack the fishes??

Thanks!

We always have to be caution when eel with tankmate & observe eel behaviour from time to time.

We always thought eel will eat fish but currently I have a experience that a 4"juv regal dare to pick eel till serious injure and cause of that I have to act prompt to jail the juv regal. Unbelievable!

Currently my eel hv been with my fishes for a month so far didn't see them try to hunt any fish only when feeding moment I use feeding tong feed them they will swim around smell the seafood Iocation.

I love the combination of eel with tankmate, off course if I saw fish injure or bite by eel I will transfer all fish to another tank.

Very nice to watch your tank.

You are not a newbie at all. Looking at your tangs and angels, most of them are very large. That means you have kept it for a long time and the qt tank you have.

Please keep postings and share your experience in the forum.

Thanks! Bro.

Ya I am not newbie and have been in marine hobby for past 19years. At past experience successfully to keep a lot of juv angel or tangs from 2" to 12" in a year at healthy growing conditions. Even a group of nemo (percula clown) able to live in captive for 6 years ++.

Now in love with eels combination with hardy tankmate. In this new passion of eel im a newbie and I hope I able to keep them for atleast 10years only can consider succeed.

Indeed impressive!! Share your maintenance regime?

Thanks! Bro.

Currently I have 3 linked tank (6ft +4ft+4ft) with total of 2000litre (500Gallons) water capacity very 3 weeks water change 30-40%.

I am using beckett skimmer and O3 so every weeks have to up essential element and weekly top up KH powder to keep PH between 8.o to 8.2. Daily feeding pellets soak with Zoe (Vitamins) + Zoecon (Omega) to keep all fishes healthy and growing.

Due to heavy feeding daily wash filter bag & 3 day change the top layer of filter cotton.

The above is the maintenance routine I have been apply many years.

Happy reefing! Cheers!

This tank is an active tank.... Hope to see your big tank for these big guys soon! How long have u have them on avg?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

This tank is an active tank.... Hope to see your big tank for these big guys soon! How long have u have them on avg?

Thanks.Bro.

My current tank setup on 2009. Before i in passion with honeycomb eel previous this tank keeping big angel, multi type tangs/surgeon and butterfly as well. Until i decided to add in honeycomb eel then i starter to sell off 60% fishes so currently the big blue ring, map angel is the longer with me since 2009 then going by Vlamingii tang, Spotted Unicorn Tang and etc more then 1-2 year.

The 4pcs honeycomb eel is new incomer temporary observed they didnt bother orther tankmats but still in caution. They are awesome especially when they swim around with thier stunning body texture. But thier appetite very good able to eat total of 30pcs 4"Ikan Bilis lucky my beckett skimmer still able to support on high bioload. The most attracted is eel desease resistant and able live at captive more than 20 years.

Happy Reefing! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Super heavy bio load tank. U must have good water change schedule n equipments to maintain the water on condition. Thumbs up

Thanks for advise. No worries. I will keep on eye to observe carefully to ensure water quality and teritory issue to maintain this tank condition. I glad that my beckett skimmer very powerful able to pull out ton of waste.

Hii wanna ask where u got ur eel for what price. Any chance that place sells smaller ones?

Anyway. Batfish looks really cramped. Haha

I order my eels from KL aquatic. I must said they provided very good service really helpful even i'm just a hobbyist. The price range for eels is depend on size from SGD150 - SGD300. I consider this is a good deal as we not in bulk order. Ya! my tank is 6ft but narrow. I wonder why i didnt feed much the batfish but he till growing bigger. LOL

Lots of nice big fishes in ur tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hi Guys,
Here some honeycomb eels feeding moment video taken on 20/8 (Tuesday). Total time too long about 15mins unable sharing full lenght video. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for viewing.
Cheers!
My Honeycomb's Feeding Moment Prt 1

My Honeycomb's Feeding Moment Prt 2