Further reducing Nitrate in heavy load FOLWR/FO system

Collective views on further reducing Nitrate in heavy load FOLWR/FO system.

Although, I have been doing frequent water change to reduce Nitrate.

I like to learn from other reefers who deploy addition methods to further reduce Nitrate and prolong water change cycle in heavy load system

1. Running Bio-pellet system

2. Dose any kind of carbon source.

3. Running a bare bottom chaeto refugium setup

4. Running an ATS setup.

5. Running a denitrator system.

6. Deploy DSB and huge live rock for FOLWR

7. Others- traditional or advance methods and technologies

May I also know cheato and ATS which one adsorb nitrate faster?

In a heavy load system is it possible to reach nitrate below 5ppm?

For heavy load system, it is useless to use any of the above method since nitrate creep up too fast, water change 2 times a week with 10-20% water change will do the job.

Any fish lovers keen to share here?

thank you.

• SRC Member

Bro this is what i used to do. I used denitrator. Everyday feeding 10 cubes of mysis. No3 remain at 0. But denitrator need patient to tune. So my current tank which u seen is just running on oversize skimmer with weekly water change. No3 is unknown.

I believe running an oversized skimmer is important for a Fish only tank, and it also help to remove / breakdown the waste before it is converted by the bacteria into N03 ...

Bro this is what i used to do. I used denitrator. Everyday feeding 10 cubes of mysis. No3 remain at 0. But denitrator need patient to tune. So my current tank which u seen is just running on oversize skimmer with weekly water change. No3 is unknown.

Ya i saw your big skimmer,what brand is that? Reef Octu?

Currently i am using a Deltec SC2060 for my ~450L volume.

Do you think it is sufficient and effective for my current tank?

I don't think i can change to a bigger size one as my current sump and cabinet height has limitation.

Anyway i simply cant achieve near zero reading. is there any other reason why so?

I have try bio-pellet and carbon dosing for FOWLR.

For denitrator, i have never use it before.

btw how many percent of water you change weekly?

I believe running an oversized skimmer is important for a Fish only tank, and it also help to remove / breakdown the waste before it is converted by the bacteria into N03 ...

Is it true that even the best skimmer can only take certain percentage of waste from the tank ( like 60% of the tank waste ) ? If i remember correctly, reading an article comparing " best skimmer in the market".

So the remaining waste we have to depend on other waste export method such as water change?

Is it true that even the best skimmer can only take certain percentage of waste from the tank ( like 60% of the tank waste ) ? If i remember correctly, reading an article comparing " best skimmer in the market".

So the remaining waste we have to depend on other waste export method such as water change?

A good skimmer could only reduce the N03, but unfortunately not 100%. That is why we have so many nitrate remover equipment, media nowsaday . I run a bare bottom tank now with a Deltec 2560, together with Bio pallet and Bio sphere, i couldn't achieve near zero nitrate but i am more than happy that the nitrate remain at a very low level and the fish are happy .

i tried longest 2 month without water change , but for an overstock tank like mine the tank turn cloudy easily but i am glad that the UV help to maintain and clear the water fast enough. Fish can tolerate higher level of N03 compare to corals, but the coloration of the fish will be affected .

A good skimmer could only reduce the N03, but unfortunately not 100%. That is why we have so many nitrate remover equipment, media nowsaday . I run a bare bottom tank now with a Deltec 2560, together with Bio pallet and Bio sphere, i couldn't achieve near zero nitrate but i am more than happy that the nitrate remain at a very low level and the fish are happy .

i tried longest 2 month without water change , but for an overstock tank like mine the tank turn cloudy easily but i am glad that the UV help to maintain and clear the water fast enough. Fish can tolerate higher level of N03 compare to corals, but the coloration of the fish will be affected .

I run similar set up like yours include Deltec skimmer, bio pellet and i dose reef Biofuel in my bare bottom tank.

My Nitrate is always around 15-20ppm for the past 7 months, which i think is very high but luckily no fishes die or show any discolour.

Previously when i had my reef tank, nitrate was very low as i only have a few tangs.

May i know your nitrate reading?

i manage to maintain my Nitrate reading at about 10ppm ( salifest test kit) :)

I had a lot of flow in my tank from my Abyzz , 6105 , 6055 . My bare bottom is always clean without any debris, so i feel the strong flow in the tank helps to breakdown the waste as well and the fish is happy .

• SRC Member
I run similar set up like yours include Deltec skimmer, bio pellet and i dose reef Biofuel in my bare bottom tank. My Nitrate is always around 15-20ppm for the past 7 months, which i think is very high but luckily no fishes die or show any discolour. Previously when i had my reef tank, nitrate was very low as i only have a few tangs. May i know your nitrate reading?
Ya i saw your big skimmer,what brand is that? Reef Octu? Currently i am using a Deltec SC2060 for my ~450L volume. Do you think it is sufficient and effective for my current tank? I don't think i can change to a bigger size one as my current sump and cabinet height has limitation. Anyway i simply cant achieve near zero reading. is there any other reason why so? I have try bio-pellet and carbon dosing for FOWLR. For denitrator, i have never use it before. btw how many percent of water you change weekly?
Your current skimmer is more than enough for 450L. For fish only tank your no3 is consider very low. Dont worry too much about bringing it to near 0. Just weekly water change will do. For me i do 25% to 50% every week.

How is the flow in your tank? Are there accumulation of detritus in the tank somewhere. Do you employ a lot of biomedia like bio home? Are u running sand or barebottom? Have u tried AZ-NO3 ? Don't even know if it is still in the market. What is your feeding regime. Cheato/bio pellet will help..... Actually.....if I am keeping fowlr... I will be happy enough if I can achieve 15 -20 ppm of nitrate and keep it there. Will enjoy the hobby and stop worrying.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

You can try ATS with biopellet.

I have that and have not run skimmer for 6 month already.

Of course I also do water change weekly. 10%

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

You can try ATS with biopellet.

I have that and have not run skimmer for 6 month already.

Of course I also do water change weekly. 10%

How many fishes u keep in your 5ft and what your nitrate reading?

Your current skimmer is more than enough for 450L. For fish only tank your no3 is consider very low. Dont worry too much about bringing it to near 0. Just weekly water change will do. For me i do 25% to 50% every week.

Ya, maybe i am too worry why nitrate cannot further go down. since i cant have a tall and bigger skimmer like yours.

do you think is good to run two skimmer in the sump? have this thoughts for 2 days now.

Still reading on reefers who run two skimmer. any pro and cons?

• SRC Member
Ya, maybe i am too worry why nitrate cannot further go down. since i cant have a tall and bigger skimmer like yours. do you think is good to run two skimmer in the sump? have this thoughts for 2 days now. Still reading on reefers who run two skimmer. any pro and cons?
Running 2 skimmer is not needed for your case as your current skimmer is already more than enough. By running 2 skimmers, your tank will have higher oxygen lvl but it does not do much to reduce no3. Maybe u can add more media and dose bacteria more often. As long as fishes are doing well n no colour loss, i wont be bothered to test water perimeters

• SRC Member
Ya, maybe i am too worry why nitrate cannot further go down. since i cant have a tall and bigger skimmer like yours. do you think is good to run two skimmer in the sump? have this thoughts for 2 days now. Still reading on reefers who run two skimmer. any pro and cons?
Bro to see it in a different view, I know this is highly unlikely for a fowlr, but what are ur phosphate levels like? U need to keep in mind the redfield ratio where po4 and no3 work in tandem with one another. If ur po4 is zero it could be the limiting factor to ur no3 dropping. However, it would be unlikely since a fowlr would be nutrient rich. Just trying to find other reasons lol. Btw I dose vodka and run biopellets in my fowlr. Plus kalk drip through ato to maintain parameters n help precipitate po4.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Running 2 skimmer is not needed for your case as your current skimmer is already more than enough. By running 2 skimmers, your tank will have higher oxygen lvl but it does not do much to reduce no3. Maybe u can add more media and dose bacteria more often. As long as fishes are doing well n no colour loss, i wont be bothered to test water perimeters

thanks bro! from what i have learned , 2 strong skimmer in a single sump do not have much effect, however running 2 skimmer in a two seperate compartment design sump that support a single tank works well.

I do not dose bacteria since Day 1 as i was told to be unnecessary by Bob Fenner.

Yes i also think i will need more media, as i have been looking around from decom reefers.

Tks for the great advice and sharing ! :thumbsup:

Bro to see it in a different view, I know this is highly unlikely for a fowlr, but what are ur phosphate levels like?

U need to keep in mind the redfield ratio where po4 and no3 work in tandem with one another. If ur po4 is zero it could be the limiting factor to ur no3 dropping. However, it would be unlikely since a fowlr would be nutrient rich.

Just trying to find other reasons lol.

Btw I dose vodka and run biopellets in my fowlr. Plus kalk drip through ato to maintain parameters n help precipitate po4.

too busy traveling and i only measure Nitrate KH and PH, the rest i don't measure anymore.

It been 8 month since i run this tank. FIshes are ok.

i also dose carbon and run biopellets but i only wonder how effective it can further reduce the nitrate in a heavy load system. :)

• 3 months later...

I wonder does those seafood restaurants do water change. I recently have an insight of some restaurants filter system and I must say I doubt there is much maintenance done on them.

Good question. In my opinion, they(restaurant operators) couldn't careless as long as they make profit. Maybe, hopefully, not all of them are like that.

It could be a good study/survey to those who are interested and has the time.

• 3 months later...

Hi ,Just for your info, seafood restaurant worker do not have to maintain their tank as most of them do not even have any equipment ( protein skimmer...etc) ,however all this is done by their live seafood supplier and what the supplier do is they do a seawater change if the tank is dirty .

• 2 weeks later...

Such condition fishes don't know got white spot or not. And we are eating it. Anyway, after cook all parasites also die already...hmmm

Sorry just joking. my problem is high Nitrate and still figuring how to reduce it and that is why I follow this thread....thks