Blacklisted LFS

• SRC Member

I tend to bring my other half go cheong LFS as we get to share in the joy of the hobby together in procurement and appreciation (although I do most of the manual work like maintenance <_< )

Other than layout and presentation (most LFS very sloppy looking due to corrosion effect of NSW), I was surprised that she dreaded going to Sealife.

No doubt their LS are generally healthier but the young kid (tall with specs, is he Sam's son?) has this bad habit of asking "Can I help you?" and following you around with a signboard-smile on his face. Like scared people steal his LS. Makes us feel very uncomfortable. Also the fact that, as someone mentioned, everything they sell is good and if it is not in their shop, then it's no good.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super agree.

Not reliable recommendations and super parang prices.

They paste a sticker say clown sweetlips half price @ $9, usual price $18.

Outside selling only $6!

I think their marine fish section not doing so well... last time I went there like closed down marine liao

think they have been doing that for the past 10 years <_< even for their fresh water section...........

• SRC Member

There is the other guy....who helps out at Sealife once in a while or when free.....very nice and knowledgeable....

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Hmm you talking abt s*m's son???

Sam's son's uncle Patrick

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

:D

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Go further slightly down to LCK Lane 6 n you reach CoralFxxx. Theres plenty of softies u can choose at astonishingly cheap prices,plus various healthy exotic fishes too.

For value for money LPS (reasonable size matching prices), T95 is a great place to shop too.

I always say it pays to shop around n its especially true in Spore!

CoralFxxx sells their powder blue for $32, but I got mine from sungei tengah at $18..

can anyone explain the huge difference?

that is only one consideration. what about the other considerations. Coral Farm fishes are all net caught, all look frigging healthy, and when sick, actually undergo treatment. have you seen the huge skimmers on either side, that filters/skims/cleans the water thoroughly? and also, the source of capture for fishes. a whole host of other conditions. given a choice, I'd rather buy from Coral Farm. no fishes that I've bought from Coral Farm have died on me yet, even if I've neglected the tank.

my two cents.

that is only one consideration. what about the other considerations. Coral Farm fishes are all net caught, all look frigging healthy, and when sick, actually undergo treatment. have you seen the huge skimmers on either side, that filters/skims/cleans the water thoroughly? and also, the source of capture for fishes. a whole host of other conditions. given a choice, I'd rather buy from Coral Farm. no fishes that I've bought from Coral Farm have died on me yet, even if I've neglected the tank.

my two cents.

Yup I agree that their fishes looked healthy to me. But they have a limited selection only. Mayb the price diff is the 'quality' which they provide.

I am amazed by the large scale skimmers.. alot of money spent...

But i like buying corals from them, have bought quite a few varieties. I mus say that most of their prices for corals are reasonable. and they gave a 20% discount in the invoice.

have you also noticed that most fishes in Coral Farm are actually feeding? and they will even let you feed the fishes to see for yourself?

limited selection? what fishes are you looking for? I'm sure they can bring it in for you, if you have the money. the fishes that they have right now are there to satisfy the market conditions. and besides, the deal in export mostly, so it may be for export purposes as well.

have you also noticed that most fishes in Coral Farm are actually feeding? and they will even let you feed the fishes to see for yourself?

limited selection? what fishes are you looking for? I'm sure they can bring it in for you, if you have the money. the fishes that they have right now are there to satisfy the market conditions. and besides, the deal in export mostly, so it may be for export purposes as well.

can feed the fish arr? i didnt noe about that.

they allow me to catch the fish myself.

wat i meant by limited selection is becos since i have

travelled far to LCK, i hope to see more variety of fishes, then

can make my trip more worthwhile

yup. there was one coral which i wanted, and they couldnt sell

it becos it was for export purpose

I will relate my experience that kid at sea****.

Went down to look for life rock last month. Helpfully show me how to stack up life rock. I ask him should I remove the bristle worms which appears on the rock, he say no need when I read elsewhere it should be removed as much as possible before placing it in the tank. I decided to purchase the rocks another day as that day is a sunday and I went down quite late, not possible to finish all the rock scaping. He advised me to buy and put all the sand in the tank then put in the rocks that day and everything can be finished in one day....(I thought the sand can only be put in the tank when rock scaping is done)When I decide not to buy that day, he said the price of the live rock is expected to rise if I don't buy at that point of time. Even my brother-in-law who went with me felt he is more interested in selling the rocks than giving good advice....

The other uncle is quite friendly and helpful though.

I will relate my experience that kid at sea****.

Went down to look for life rock last month. Helpfully show me how to stack up life rock. I ask him should I remove the bristle worms which appears on the rock, he say no need when I read elsewhere it should be removed as much as possible before placing it in the tank. I decided to purchase the rocks another day as that day is a sunday and I went down quite late, not possible to finish all the rock scaping. He advised me to buy and put all the sand in the tank then put in the rocks that day and everything can be finished in one day....(I thought the sand can only be put in the tank when rock scaping is done)When I decide not to buy that day, he said the price of the live rock is expected to rise if I don't buy at that point of time. Even my brother-in-law who went with me felt he is more interested in selling the rocks than giving good advice....

The other uncle is quite friendly and helpful though.

its true that bristle worm should not be remove unless its very big.... they are excellent dertivore and scavenger so theres no reason why you should remove them... some ppl say the attack fishes but have they really withness the attack... usually is when the fish is already dead and the worm is feeding on it thus that cause the owner to derive at one conclusion.. its the worm that ate and kill my fish....

what should be remove are crabs or mantis shrimp

urh.

what you read somewhere may not be 100% true as well. so do take it with a pinch of salt. (=

as for putting sand only after the rockwork is done? urh. quite subjective lah this one. the reason why the book may advocate this is so that the rock is "anchored" with the sand surrounding it, so that it doesn't sit ontop of the sand and sink into it, should you decide to put sand first, rock later. the other way of looking at it is that having sand all over your rock is rather insightly, and adding sand into a tank that is already filled with rocks is quite a pain, as you need to carefully manipulate the sand, so that it doesn't land on the rock and cover it up accidentally. and besides, this will cause a major, and I mean MAJOR sand storm. so you see, he is right to a certain extent.

as for bristleworms, like what Dispar Anthias has already mentioned, it's okay to leave them in there. in fact, its called a liverock because of the bio-organisms that come with it, pest and beneficial. (=

my two cents.

• SRC Member
adding sand into a tank that is already filled with rocks is quite a pain, as you need to carefully manipulate the sand, so that it doesn't land on the rock and cover it up accidentally. and besides, this will cause a major, and I mean MAJOR sand storm.

my two cents.

Hi,

Just like to offer a possible solution to this "problem".

It is possible to add sand into your tank WITHOUT a major sandstorm, particularly if you feel that your sandbed is not thick enough or other similar reasons.

1. Be sure to wash your sand thoroughly.

2. Get a length of PVC pipe that is slightly taller than the height of your tank. Wash pipe thoroughly.

3. Get a wide-mouthed funnel.

4. Point the submerged end of the PVC pipe at the area/part of the tank you want to top up with sand.

5. Insert funnel into other other end of PVC pipe.

6. Scoop and pour sand into funnel; wash the sand down the funnel and pipe with your water from your tank if need be.

7. By placing the submerged end of your PVC pipe nearer to the existing sandbed, it is possible to bring the possibility of a sandstorm to a bare minimum, especially so if you are using #1 or above sand.

Hope this helps.

doesn't that just sound troublesome? compared to laying the sand PRIOR to the addition of liverocks? like what I said, it is quite a pain. (=

but if you encountered a situation whereby you did something else and you need to add sand, that would be the best method to do so, with minimal destruction but maximum time consumption, if I may add.

Maybe I'm wrong about him on the advice he give. But my impression is that he is too eager to sell rather than giving advice considering I told him I cannot finish everything that day. Imagine I went down to the place around 5 to 6pm and he can still advise me to buy the sand & rock saying I can complete the whole thing.